Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb
View Poll Results: How are you going to spec your 718 GT4?
Stripper
26.70%
Well Equipped
54.45%
Fully Optioned
18.85%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

718 GT4 Build Specs - Let's see them

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 06:48 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
After being advised to get the leather, I'm going with basically a well optioned spec:

https://www.porsche-code.com/PLF66IU4

Debating on Bose (I never listen to music, so all I need it for is maps and/or road trip podcasts) and dials in guards red, but worried they may be difficult to see on track or too much red.
Initially I couldn't imagine a 981 w/o leather, the dash and doorsills just looked cheap. I like my fat build but if there's one thing I think I could give up, it would be the leather. I'm too ocd to let my dog dig into he leather door cards and hang out the window, no rain rails mean water pours down on the leather door trim, and I feel a little bad letting the dash roast in the sun and get dirty. Would go no leather w/cf trim and then get the DB carbon carbon fiber door trim if I were to build again....
Old 06-22-2019, 06:51 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks for the feedback!

The Bose is 1k for something I will never use :P.

I have illuminated sills in my M2. I must have them in the GT4. The carbon is only $400 difference from aluminum and it's carbon fiber which automatically adds at least 7 horsepower.

I have seen the LED vs Black but only in passing on cars and not up close. I don't like either of the running lights to be honest. The LED is too busy with the 4 points and the black is too pedestrian and reminds me of a base 330i running light. Price difference of $600 for LED so I'll probably keep it.

As for the leather, I'm definitely going to see it before I make a final decision. I suspect it won't be worth it, but I like the idea of the steering column at least since it adds stitching and that's a nice touch back there. The dash you basically can't even see it except from the outside from what I can tell and it's not exactly a place you touch often for the leather to make a difference. Ditto with the door panel.
Both headlights on the 982 have four point DRLs, the LEDs just spread them out further, which isn’t appealing to me. Same on the 991.2s, I prefer the non-LEDs. I also don’t like the chrome around the DRL points.

Illuminated doorsills are very emotional for sone reason... i always smile when I see mine that’s for sure.

Of all thise interior leather options, full leather with the steering column and sun visors are the two additional musts for me.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:53 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajw45
Initially I couldn't imagine a 981 w/o leather, the dash and doorsills just looked cheap. I like my fat build but if there's one thing I think I could give up, it would be the leather. I'm too ocd to let my dog dig into he leather door cards and hang out the window, no rain rails mean water pours down on the leather door trim, and I feel a little bad letting the dash roast in the sun and get dirty. Would go no leather w/cf trim and then get the DB carbon carbon fiber door trim if I were to build again....
If I were to build a GT4 again, same here. After a track day where some car went off in front of me, my car was covered with **** inside. I wished I had the rubber.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:22 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 239 Posts

Spyder builds - all with Euro delivery of course...

Red and black with a ton of leather and some yellow belts & gauges
https://www.porsche-code.com/PLYPD6W2

all red and black....

https://www.porsche-code.com/PLQW6WQ4

....and a basic silver over black with no leather....

https://www.porsche-code.com/PLMGZ1J8

Last edited by GeoJoe; 06-22-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:15 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 660 Likes on 344 Posts

My dealer confirms I'm "on the list", so just waiting for an allocation. For now this is my build https://www.porsche-code.com/PL4DVFR1. Only thing I'm not sure on is the seat belts as the Racing Yellow belts are brighter than the yellow stitching I believe.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:19 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
Both headlights on the 982 have four point DRLs, the LEDs just spread them out further, which isn’t appealing to me. Same on the 991.2s, I prefer the non-LEDs. I also don’t like the chrome around the DRL points.
i guess I was confusing them with older standard headlights that looked like they have a single drl near the inner hood edge of the car. I guess I haven’t seen the LED then and only the xenon in passing. I will have to look at the LED in person. I don’t like the xenon drl points then. But looking at the LED, I guess I’m not sure I’m a fan of those either. Go figure.

Thanks for the additional opinions on the leather. I will consider it. I’m mostly on the fence about it and not leaning one way or another but in a 100k car, another 2k isn’t all that much for some nicer materials.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:14 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Finding it interesting you can't get some stuff on the Spyder that you can on the Cayman... gold wheels, red stripe on steering wheel for example.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:11 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Finding it interesting you can't get some stuff on the Spyder that you can on the Cayman... gold wheels, red stripe on steering wheel for example.
And chrono is standard on the spyder, and vice versa like no deviated stitching on GT4 other than grey, red, yellow, and some of the prices are different like $600 for wheel paint on GT4 and $1290 on spyder. Porsche option choice and pricing is all marketing driven.

Why you can get an aventurine 718 Boxster/cayman, but not a GT4/spyder? Why isn’t espresso interior on option on GT cars? All marketing.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:52 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

How can painting the Spyder climate surround cost more than the rear headrest pillars in body color? Nutz.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:34 AM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

i guess I was confusing them with older standard headlights that looked like they have a single drl near the inner hood edge of the car. I guess I haven’t seen the LED then and only the xenon in passing. I will have to look at the LED in person. I don’t like the xenon drl points then. But looking at the LED, I guess I’m not sure I’m a fan of those either. Go figure.

Thanks for the additional opinions on the leather. I will consider it. I’m mostly on the fence about it and not leaning one way or another but in a 100k car, another 2k isn’t all that much for some nicer materials.
I'm willing to spec the base headlights depending on how the DRL's look but from what I've read, they don't have the four point DRL's, more like what's shown below. Can anyone confirm?

Old 06-24-2019, 01:57 AM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

I never thought about specing out the car with the base dash and door panels, adding the carbon package then getting the DB Carbon door inserts, that's a great way to save $3000 and avoid having the leather surfaces. If I go with a stripper build, this seems like a great route to go.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:26 AM
Teo
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

my yellow spec https://www.porsche-code.com/PL6Y65R3

The following 2 users liked this post by Teo:
Five12Free (06-24-2019), JSF101 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:50 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
I'm willing to spec the base headlights depending on how the DRL's look but from what I've read, they don't have the four point DRL's, more like what's shown below. Can anyone confirm?
I’m not sure about the base lights, but the PDLS in black have the four point DRLs. They are just the ones that are tight like the new 911s. If you watch the Spyder launch video, you can view them in action.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:57 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't know. I tried googling and came up blank. However, I have told myself a non negotiable is auto dimming high beams so I have to at least get the bi-xenon or LED with pdls. Right now, the bi-xenon is looking like a winner from an aesthetic perspective when off. When on, it's honestly a wash for me. I watched some videos and it looks like the LED does a better job lighting up the sides of the road.

I never thought about specing out the car with the base dash and door panels, adding the carbon package then getting the DB Carbon door inserts, that's a great way to save $3000 and avoid having the leather surfaces. If I go with a stripper build, this seems like a great route to go.
Thing is, you're not really saving 3k right? The leather is $2500 not including steering column. You're going to get the door trim panels for $500 and presumably the door panel linings which is 1k total for a $1500 savings. If you get the door handles to match as well ($1300) (you shouldn't but hey, it's carbon fiber!) then you're at net even but the difference is your dash is leather with OEM whereas the door is carbon with the DB parts vs alcantara/leather.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:12 PM
zerofighter
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any lucky people in Canada get an allocation/order in yet?

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 Build Specs - Let's see them