Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder 1st Sighting... & it looks like a Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 04:02 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Given the photographer was likely relatively close to this car when he/she shot these pics, you'd think that maybe there'd be some report out there as to whether it sounded NA or Turbo.
Yeah, that was exactly my thought. And a little troubling that no word on that. The whole car would be crap to me with the 'wrong' engine.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:10 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

There is a process... If you are a spy photographer you have to stage your product launch. These were all taken by the same photographer (KGP) which sold them to multiple sources at the same time. Same as the GT4 shots. Vids should be launched soon. Same thing happened with the 981 GT4... Pics first, then vids. Remember this is a business in itself to make money.

Last edited by n4v4nod; 11-18-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:11 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Ya. 'Spy' shots would never happen unless the manufacturer wanted them to. This is all Porsche marketing.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:37 PM
mrneddles
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Yeah, that was exactly my thought. And a little troubling that no word on that. The whole car would be crap to me with the 'wrong' engine.
i have a deposit on one, but if it turns out to be the wrong engine, I may just buy an Alfa Romeo 4C Spider and save a bag of cash.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by mrneddles
i have a deposit on one, but if it turns out to be the wrong engine, I may just buy an Alfa Romeo 4C Spider and save a bag of cash.
Be sure to drive one first. When the 4C was announced, I wanted one bad.
Then I drove one and cured that desire.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:15 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

On the subject of curing desire...

I was at the car wash yesterday (don’t worry - full ppf and very careful washers) behind a white 718 Cayman. Great looking and (on startup at least) fine sounding car, but I just can’t get over the raised lettering on the black band at the rear. It somehow feels (and I’m going to sound like the worst kind of English snob here but) vulgar in the way it shouts out the branding. Sort of like wearing a shirt with ARMANI emblazoned across it. Just not for me. I guess de-badging is always an option, but then (from behind at least) it just looks like the spoiler’s partially up.

I love Porsche’s understatement as a brand relative to other high-end manufacturers and this feels like it goes against that pretty violently. Honestly might be enough to stop me being interested in even a 4.0l Spyder 718. It’s not like the 981 isn’t fast enough...
Old 11-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

^ I’m sure you can remove it.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:41 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what Rat is saying, I always thought "boxster spyder" written out was less preferable than simply "spyder" or nothing. Additionally, branding on the dash, rear top folds and other unnecessary "spyder" badging run contrary to the original less is more vehicle blood line. If you're a Spyder fan you'll pick one out without Xmas light show projections.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

I hear you, but remember Porsche is now a big marketing machine which prints cash now vs the old days. A bit full of themselves now, and that’s from my dealer buddies. Love the brand, but too many willing to sell their soul for a GT car these days on that other board crazy man(:
Old 11-19-2017, 10:23 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record, no matter how it's badged, it's the best car I've ever owned or driven. Everything about it feels right and the engine is outstanding. They should have electrified the wart and integrated a clock into the module. That way the dash jewelry could be appreciated by those like me who don't track my car. A more compact, graceful execution of the manual top tensioner seems like it would have been simple too, otherwise it's 10/10.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
For the record, no matter how it's badged, it's the best car I've ever owned or driven. Everything about it feels right and the engine is outstanding. They should have electrified the wart and integrated a clock into the module. That way the dash jewelry could be appreciated by those like me who don't track my car. A more compact, graceful execution of the manual top tensioner seems like it would have been simple too, otherwise it's 10/10.
enjoy it for sure!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:16 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
For those who might have previously missed it:

From Eduardo's recap of AP's discussion at the PCA Hospitality tent at Rennsport on Sunday Sept 27, 2015:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8963...er-spyder.html

Question by Rennlister SmokinGTS:
"I was really hoping that the Boxster Spyder (981) would have the suspension & performance (of the gt4)...it was
a missed opportunity of setting that car (981 Boxster Spyder) up so that we would have the suspension & horsepower
(to track the car)...
"

Response by Andreas Preuninger:
"I understand your point. You might be right. There is a lot of synergy to be found if you do it to two cars which shares components as many as possible. The thing is we started the gt4 program a little bit ahead of the Boxster Spyder and we in Motorsports just didn't do open cars, you know...must of you know that these cars (points to the gt4) are developed in Porsche Motorsports department and not in the standard (series) development department...we are one/tenth (of the size in staff) but the way of doing things is a little bit different sometimes, and the colleagues from the standard department they had the capacity to do this Boxster Spyder and they had the idea...and I don't think a Spyder, a Boxster Spyder, is a Motorsport product, to be frank, and that was what we were discussing when we started...

But now that we see that most of the Boxster Spyder customers are really, exactly, asking that question, that might have been a mistake. And I think in future model, models, models...the Spyder & the gt4 will be a bit closer together regarding, especially, the suspension...

And if our superiors make the decision that the Motorsports department is willing...is allowed to do an open version as well, that is good, that would be good !(makes a motion with his hand of 'victory'). And I would like that!

Just wait a little while more, I know the Spyder, the Boxster Spyder, is not a track car...the gt car (turns to the gt4) is more
of that kind of a track car, but I think we are going to change that in the future, to be frank! (Applause from the audience)

HAVE TO REPOST THIS and say thank you for posting this. Great information!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:21 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Everyone is reading too much into the Spacing. I think the 982 GT4/Spyder is a new spacing... Wider than the 991.2 Sports Exhaust, Narrower than the 991.2 Standard exhaust... It's neither.

Great detective work here, but still just a bigger question mark. I've never been so interested in an engine.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:27 PM
mdork
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
I did in fact miss this the first time - thanks for reposting! I am happy to be #2 at my dealer (after VIP) - hoping for PTS and ED
Old 11-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Originally Posted by mdork
I did in fact miss this the first time - thanks for reposting!
Thanks, but credit Eduardo for going the extra mile to get AP's comments 100% precise. So much stuff on the internet consists of paraphrasing or trying to remember exactly how something was said or phrased, thus diminishing the value, not to mention the accuracy, of the info. To take the time and trouble to record and video the talk, dictate the contents, and then make an extensive post sharing this great info. with the rest of us, well, you really have to applaud the effort.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder 1st Sighting... & it looks like a Turbo.