Sponsored by:

2019 718 Spyder OR 2018 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 10 years?

10 years? Maybe all cars that don't drive themselves will be banned. Maybe the 981 Spyder will be worth ten million dollars. Maybe ten million dollars will buy you a Tall Latte at Starbucks.

If it's any barometer my '94 Speedster has elastic straps. They're a little weak after almost 25 years of use. But they're not torn and the top works at 90% of original. The other 10% is character.

The Spyder top is well engineered. I imagine if you treat it with respect it will last as long as my '94 Speedster top.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:30 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
10 years? Maybe all cars that don't drive themselves will be banned. Maybe the 981 Spyder will be worth ten million dollars. Maybe ten million dollars will buy you a Tall Latte at Starbucks.

If it's any barometer my '94 Speedster has elastic straps. They're a little weak after almost 25 years of use. But they're not torn and the top works at 90% of original. The other 10% is character.

The Spyder top is well engineered. I imagine if you treat it with respect it will last as long as my '94 Speedster top.
That is excellent news!
Old 05-20-2017, 06:51 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,304 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
I think the 981 Spyder roof is cool. Would like the removable back section of the 987.

You should see how quick I can put that thing up now

Noah Fect - I couldn't remember if you own / owned one of the Spyder generations? I'm assuming so given the stentgh of your viewpoints.
No, I don't, but I've seen the YouTube videos from the 987 Spyder, and I'm not going to pay $100K to be trolled.

The 981 Spyder roof is better, but still an insult to its owner's intelligence.

When Porsche stops "taking the ****," as Gordon Ramsay would put it, I'll upgrade my BS to a Spyder. My guess is that my money's safe.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Lol more likely to get trolled with that post than spending 100 big ones. x
Old 05-20-2017, 08:37 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,304 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
Lol more likely to get trolled with that post than spending 100 big ones. x
My whole point is, when the debate comes down to whether we are going to get 62 microprocessors or 64 in our "purist" Porsche, it's time to start questioning what they are feeding us.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
No, I don't, but I've seen the YouTube videos from the 987 Spyder, and I'm not going to pay $100K to be trolled.

The 981 Spyder roof is better, but still an insult to its owner's intelligence.

When Porsche stops "taking the ****," as Gordon Ramsay would put it, I'll upgrade my BS to a Spyder. My guess is that my money's safe.

First thing I'll say in response to your post is who gives a crap what others think, I didn't buy the car for anyone else. It's purely for my own enjoyment and if others appreciate it great, if they don't they can move on to whatever it is that they like.

Now if trolling matters to you, I can state that I've owned my Spyder for 6 years now and while it didn't cost $100K I don't recall being trolled because of the top. If anything I have found people to be very intrigued with how it works and on several occasions there's been surprise at how fast and easy it is to put the top on and take it off.

My whole point is, when the debate comes down to whether we are going to get 62 microprocessors or 64 in our "purist" Porsche, it's time to start questioning what they are feeding us.
When I ordered the car I also intentionally kept certain options to a minimum to eliminate any motors, servos and sensors. The xenon headlights are a good example, no moving internals on the lights and no headlight washers with extra reservoir etc.
It's not just about the sensors, it's about the weight and doing as much a s possible to keep things simple. There's a reason why older Porsches are still very popular even when their performance doesn't come close to a current base model Boxster or Cayman. Hell even an Macan has better acceleration and handling than most air cooled Porsches.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:53 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Lol we are in a "that glass is half full", "no it isn't, it's half empty" argument!
Old 05-22-2017, 07:58 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,069 Likes on 610 Posts

i currently own a 2016 spyder, and just replaced my 991 GT3 and got a 991 GT3RS
both GT3 and spyder are great cars
spyder gives you a great ride that put a smile on your face in a relaxing way
GT3 gives a great ride and puts a smile on your face in a more intense way
I love them both , the boy in me like the GT3/GT3RS more , the mature male in me like the spyder more
so bottom line , you already tried GT3 , try the spyder and then switch again to GT3 if needed
Old 06-02-2017, 07:36 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

I put my deposit down on a GT3 this week. 2018 GT3 meet 2016 Spyder
Old 06-07-2017, 01:10 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Today and near term .... Its forced induction ...

+1. The Boxster/Cayman spec's for model year 2018 have long been in the "can". That product is fully baked is my $.02
That said, engine type either forced induction or normally aspirated is anyone's guess, that is unless you're a corporate insider.

A twin VTG turbo 6cyl 3.0l out of the 911 range is a probability ... Normally aspirated induction in a MY18 / '19 Boxster Spyder one could only hope.

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I'd go with a known entity. Either the current Spyder or the GT3.
Not even the cleaning lady knows specifics about the next Spyder (if there is one).
Old 06-07-2017, 01:34 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey, hey ,,, don't-you-be-talk'in-smack about any air-cooled 911

Too funny ... Porsche has historically taken a measured approach to engine displacement, more like a parade's pace progressing in specific output, some say.

I recall my MY89 944S2 ... Finally an up-rated, normally aspirated, displacement of 3.0l providing a much improved torque spec and added HP. Even still,, the 944S2 3.0l improvements and the subsequent 968 3.0l improvements didn't yield a terribly quick chassis, yet class leading uber expensive sports car. ...

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
First thing I'll say in response to your post is who gives a crap what others think, I didn't buy the car for anyone else. It's purely for my own enjoyment and if others appreciate it great, if they don't they can move on to whatever it is that they like.

Edit/delete text -

Hell even an Macan has better acceleration and handling than most air cooled Porsches.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:41 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Hey, hey ,,, don't-you-be-talk'in-smack about any air-cooled 911

Too funny ... Porsche has historically taken a measured approach to engine displacement, more like a parade's pace progressinqg in specific output, some say.

I recall my MY89 944S2 ... Finally an up-rated, normally aspirated, displacement of 3.0l providing a much improved torque spec and added HP. Even still,, the 944S2 3.0l improvements and the subsequent 968 3.0l improvements didn't yield a terribly quick chassis, yet class leading uber expensive sports car. ...
Off topic I know... but the 981 Cayman is an excellent daily driver. I went with a Base and it makes the 993 seem, uhh... powerful!
Old 07-31-2017, 02:44 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

There seems to be a binary assumption with regards to a power top and the ethos of the Spyder. I don't see any absolute correlation between the two.

The Scuderia 16M and 458 Aperta are pretty clear case in point references that a power top and an Extremely hardcore visceral version of a convertible are not somehow mutually exclusive

I would've loved a 987 Spyder but the absurdly complicated and poorly designed top represented a huge impediment to top down enjoyment particularly in places with changeable weather i.e. anywhere that isn't desert like. The 981 Spyder which I own is a decent compromise but still, I've had to consider the weather more than I had to on my previous Porsches when going top down.

A smartly designed automatic top could've been implemented in the Spyder without upsetting its visceral nature unless the ability to ride top down with the chance of thunderstorms forcasted somehow makes it a less tactile and enjoyable Driving experience.

Compromises are a necessity with any road legal car . Understanding which ones to make is critical in turning out a car that is truly exceptional to own and enjoy.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:51 AM
DrakarBoxster
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
I will believe in the 718 spyder when i see it.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...mage=100633622

what do you guys think of this?
Old 11-19-2017, 01:34 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a 2005 996 GT3 and now have a 2011 987.2 Boxster S. So admittedly my observations are a bit back-level but I think their principles still apply.

Both cars have more than enough power for real-world application. Obviously the GT3 is a faster track car. The GT3 is a beast of a car; the Boxster/Spyder is a precision lovely car. And as many of the posters have pointed out, the Boxster/Spyder has a soft top, and all that implies.

It's up to you.

Quick Reply: 2019 718 Spyder OR 2018 991.2 GT3