718S Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Fredrik Jönsson
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Here is something to ponder.....

The younger generation of car guys/gals primarily grew up with turbo engined performance cars and from what I have seen at recent car events this up and coming group prefers these engines since they tend to be easier to boost performance.

In addition to keeping the engine size under 3.0 liters it's very possible Porsche has identified this as the future market for the Boxster/Cayman and the turbo thus makes some sense.
Average age for a Porsche customer is somewhere between 55 and 60.
Do you think turbocharged 4-cylinder petrol is the engine for the future?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:51 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

The turbo is "not" the future! It is an interim step to the future: hybrids, then electric! In my forecast, next gen platforms will have turbos and hybrids; we could hypothetically call it 983. In hypothetical 984, we might only see hybrids and electrics. Internal-Combustion engines might go bye-bye!

As much as I am a fanatical NA guy, I can see the writings on the wall: it's days are numbered. At best, NA engines in select models might live on for just one more generation. At best! It's a long shot. Beyond that, just can't see a business case for it. Aside from business case, NA engines won't be able to compete against the low/mid-range torque (and, the power levels) of turbo/electric. Regular drivers love low-end torque. Only companies like Ferrari, Lamborghini, et al. might be able to offer NA V12s in super-niche models and get away with.

The regulations are only getting tighter. Even if our EPA regs get dismantled or diluted, EU will continue to march ahead with their road maps. So would California. Many US states follow California's lead. So, keep what you have; and, pick up some new choice samples as they come for a short period of time, because you ain't getting no more!
Old 03-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
The turbo is "not" the future! It is an interim step to the future: hybrids, then electric! In my forecast, next gen platforms will have turbos and hybrids; we could hypothetically call it 983. In hypothetical 984, we might only see hybrids and electrics. Internal-Combustion engines might go bye-bye!

As much as I am a fanatical NA guy, I can see the writings on the wall: it's days are numbered. At best, NA engines in select models might live on for just one more generation. At best! It's a long shot. Beyond that, just can't see a business case for it. Aside from business case, NA engines won't be able to compete against the low/mid-range torque (and, the power levels) of turbo/electric. Regular drivers love low-end torque. Only companies like Ferrari, Lamborghini, et al. might be able to offer NA V12s in super-niche models and get away with.

The regulations are only getting tighter. Even if our EPA regs get dismantled or diluted, EU will continue to march ahead with their road maps. So would California. Many US states follow California's lead. So, keep what you have; and, pick up some new choice samples as they come for a short period of time, because you ain't getting no more!
Good thing California didn't gets its way on EVERYTHING last year! ;-)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:59 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with the rider on almost all unless different fuels change the game.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:48 AM
elombard
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will second the cost. I saw a 718S Boxster on a dealer lot for over $100K!!! I thought I read that the 4 cylinders were going to be lower cost? I was actually looking forward to perhaps some fantastic depreciation and cheap access to the 718 in a few years as dual purpose track/street cars. Still may happen but I would think sales would be really stunted by pricing like that.....I guess not.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:04 AM
Bparrott
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a difficult time understanding all the noise about price. Is a 718S expensive? Yes. So is every other Porsche made in the last two decades. However I just bought a Cayman S with every performance option for roughly the same price as a 981 GTS (MSRP was 88k and I paid 82k) and my 718S out performs it. I get it, a 4 banger for some reason offends egos or sensibilities for irrational reasons. I for one will take more power and better steering of the 718S for the same price as a 981 GTS and do not find the price offensive. Good lord - look at the price of a 911 these days. A stripper 911 is 100k if you are lucky and it is out performed in all measures by the 718S. AND you can have a very nicely performance oriented optioned 718s for 85kish all day. The 100k 718S are cars for people who care about having the Porsche crest in the headrest and many other cosmetic options that have no performance impact.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:28 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

^

I agree that you can get a nicely optioned 718 for under $100k

but I think there's a correlation between "price" and "sales"

and you shouldn't just cherry pick one month's sales figures to draw conclusions but the trend in sports car sales isn't good, particularly for the 718

as stated said earlier, year over year comparison will be telling

it's been a long time since the Boxster intro under $40k and Cayman under $60k
Old 03-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Bparrott
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

And when a Boxter was under 40k a 911 could be had for 60k.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 47 Posts

I just test drove the 718 Cayman S w/ PDK and thought it was quite impressive with the sound being decent for a 4 cyl (e.g., overrun, grumble). This is coming from an F80 M3, which sounds like dog s**t. Power felt similar between my M3 with the exception that the Cayman can actually put it down (versus traction issues in the M3). I walked away from the experience pleasantly surprised.

I need to test drive a 981.1 to determine if its sound and NA characteristics make up for progress around performance...will do that soon. As it stands, I'd be happy to own a 718 Cayman S and think it'd be great fun.

Truth be told, the 718 Cayman S offers similar to performance to the 991.2 C2, so even Porsche conceded this particular point. However, Porsche still holds the Ace with the flat 6 in the 911.2 range that sound quite good and, in turn, exudes a bit more emotion from the driver. They know this. A 718 w/ the base C2 motor (like the "good ole" days) would be an absolute monster and a slam dunk decision for most of us.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:38 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Reno 911
Truth be told, the 718 Cayman S offers similar to performance to the 991.2 C2, so even Porsche conceded this particular point.
^^^^
I haven't done a lot of laps in the .2 C2S as yet but those that I have done would put it ahead of the 718S by about 2s to 3s per lap - which is quite a big margin at least in my book. This takes nothing away from the 718S - I think its a fantastic and very capable drivers car.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by randr
^^^^
I haven't done a lot of laps in the .2 C2S as yet but those that I have done would put it ahead of the 718S by about 2s to 3s per lap - which is quite a big margin at least in my book. This takes nothing away from the 718S - I think its a fantastic and very capable drivers car.
Right, the .2 C2S... I'm referring to the .2 C2 vs 718S.

I *think* I'd be happier with a 911 and lean towards either a 991.1 C2S or 991.2 C2. I plan to test drive the new .2 C2 in a week or so, so I should have a better idea. With that said, my primary goal is fun and fast since this will not be my daily. Practicality isn't a factor.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:48 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Reno 911
................... A 718 w/ the base C2 motor (like the "good ole" days) would be an absolute monster and a slam dunk decision for most of us.
If you wait for a year (~18 months), you could have one: GT4, with NA!
Old 03-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_rider
If you wait for a year (~18 months), you could have one: GT4, with NA!
Lol, true. The 18-24 mo. timeline is when I expect to jump into another P-car. I'll be interested to see what else comes out between now and then (e.g., 718 GTS, GT4, etc.) while also seeing how preowned prices for both the 718S and 991.2 C2 begin to come down.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:24 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bparrott
I have a difficult time understanding all the noise about price. Is a 718S expensive? Yes. So is every other Porsche made in the last two decades. However I just bought a Cayman S with every performance option for roughly the same price as a 981 GTS (MSRP was 88k and I paid 82k) and my 718S out performs it. I get it, a 4 banger for some reason offends egos or sensibilities for irrational reasons. I for one will take more power and better steering of the 718S for the same price as a 981 GTS and do not find the price offensive. Good lord - look at the price of a 911 these days. A stripper 911 is 100k if you are lucky and it is out performed in all measures by the 718S. AND you can have a very nicely performance oriented optioned 718s for 85kish all day. The 100k 718S are cars for people who care about having the Porsche crest in the headrest and many other cosmetic options that have no performance impact.
Updated sales figures should cause some concern for 718 Boxster/Cayman

Comparing first qtr 2017 to first qtr 2016 the 718 sales are down 26%

The PAG marketing machine needs to hire you to stoke up their sales or get the GT4RS scheduled for production

p.s. I'm on your side, 718 ordered
Old 04-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I just drove a 718 S mt and was very impressed. Little if any turbo lag, although throttle response doesn't quite have the urgency of my 981 Spyder. Beautiful handling, tight as anything, no rattles. I loved it, especially compared to the base 911 I drove a few days ago that rattled, rode very rough, and understeered. That being said, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the cost for a turbo 4. I guess Lotus has a history with this too, huh?

Quick Reply: 718S Test Drive