Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718's showing up on the pre-owned market...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:20 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 589 Posts
Default 718's showing up on the pre-owned market...

I just noticed more and more 718's showing up on the pre-owned market. Obviously this is to be expected as they've been out on in the market for a while now but many have a mere 4000 Kms / 2500 miles on them. Is this common or are buyers not happy with the car? Thoughts? Please chip in if you are driving one. I'm not a hater!
Old 12-19-2016, 12:27 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I think most are Launch vehicles that dealers are selling and PCNA demo cars. If so they haven't been titled yet but may have a couple of thousand miles on them.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:47 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The Boxsters? I'd expect that at this point. Twice now I've purchased low mileage Porsches (987 Cayman, 991 S) that were recently released. I'm guessing it's not as common with Cayman/Boxsters, but with 911s it's pretty common for owners to sell a car within the first year. Not because they don't like it, just because they change cars frequently. It's basically winter now, so maybe they figured they got the season out of it and now it's time to move on rather than garage it for the winter.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:08 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

how are taxes handled in most states on used cars? here in california we pay the taxes on a new or used car just the same. this means that changing cars frequently includes giving a chunk to the state government just for the transaction. I would change cars more frequently if it weren't for this.. there is a significant loss to each transaction. how are others handling this?
Old 12-19-2016, 06:54 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In Colorado the value of the trade in is taken away from the taxable amount on a new car.

New cars or used purchases : These taxes are based on the year of manufacture of the vehicle and the original taxable value which is determined when the vehicle is new and does not change throughout the life of the vehicle.
Ownership tax is in lieu of personal property tax. Vehicles do not need to be operated in order to be assessed this tax.
The ownership tax rate is assessed on the original taxable value and year of service
Original taxable value is 85% of manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP).
The annual specific ownership tax is based on the year of service.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:44 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SamG
I think most are Launch vehicles that dealers are selling and PCNA demo cars. If so they haven't been titled yet but may have a couple of thousand miles on them.
Yup
Old 12-19-2016, 11:24 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
how are taxes handled in most states on used cars? here in california we pay the taxes on a new or used car just the same. this means that changing cars frequently includes giving a chunk to the state government just for the transaction. I would change cars more frequently if it weren't for this.. there is a significant loss to each transaction. how are others handling this?
It sucks, yes. Just need to take that into account when buying. Other options are to register out of state if you can. I hear it's helpful to have a business in Montana.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In Pennsylvania, we would pay 6% of the net purchase price of the car, new or used. If trading a car with a dealership, you pay tax on the difference in price between the trade value and the cost of the purchased car. Many dealers here will do a courtesy trade - so if I sell my car to a private buyer, and buy a new or used car from a dealer, the buyer of my car can meet me at the dealership to do the transaction. Since the tax benefit would accrue to me, what I've done in the past is to split the tax savings with the buyer of my car. Win-win.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:56 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
In Pennsylvania, we would pay 6% of the net purchase price of the car, new or used. If trading a car with a dealership, you pay tax on the difference in price between the trade value and the cost of the purchased car. Many dealers here will do a courtesy trade - so if I sell my car to a private buyer, and buy a new or used car from a dealer, the buyer of my car can meet me at the dealership to do the transaction. Since the tax benefit would accrue to me, what I've done in the past is to split the tax savings with the buyer of my car. Win-win.
Good call on the courtesy trade - it's a big impact here. As much as I don't like the transaction tax, I certainly don't miss the days when I was in NC and paid both sales (albeit at the lower 3% rate, though I seem to recall it was ultimately capped in the absolute amount) plus local property tax, where the latter was always a joke because the tax assessed values were 10-20%+ over market for my cars.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:45 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Good call on the courtesy trade - it's a big impact here. As much as I don't like the transaction tax, I certainly don't miss the days when I was in NC and paid both sales (albeit at the lower 3% rate, though I seem to recall it was ultimately capped in the absolute amount) plus local property tax, where the latter was always a joke because the tax assessed values were 10-20%+ over market for my cars.
I see you're in Philly. Several years ago, I sold my 2001 Audi S4 to a very nice guy from Cary, NC who came up to buy the car. We did a courtesy trade in less than an hour - I paid sales tax only on the difference between the selling price of the '01 S4 and the new (at the time) S4 - as noted, the buyer and I split the savings. Very positive buying experience which took less than an hour.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:02 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
I certainly don't miss the days when I was in NC and paid both sales (albeit at the lower 3% rate, though I seem to recall it was ultimately capped in the absolute amount)
They dropped that cap several years ago.

As for the OP, I think a lot of people buy these cars, drive them for a year or two and sell them. Whim, "always wanted to have one", whatever. I know that this is true for all Porsche sports cars, 911, Cayman, etc. not just the Boxster.

If you can afford to buy a new $80-$150K car, losing a bit of sales tax in the process is not a big factor for many people.

Obvious, more of a factor for those in California or Illinois than in NC (3%) or Alaska (0%).
Old 12-23-2016, 01:53 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
In Colorado the value of the trade in is taken away from the taxable amount on a new car.

New cars or used purchases : These taxes are based on the year of manufacture of the vehicle and the original taxable value which is determined when the vehicle is new and does not change throughout the life of the vehicle.
Ownership tax is in lieu of personal property tax. Vehicles do not need to be operated in order to be assessed this tax.
The ownership tax rate is assessed on the original taxable value and year of service
Original taxable value is 85% of manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP).
The annual specific ownership tax is based on the year of service.
are you talking about the annual registration fee/tax? Sales tax is based on the price paid for the vehicle.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:02 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Here in SC, we have a $300 cap on auto sales tax, new or old, Ferrari or Honda.

Quick Reply: 718's showing up on the pre-owned market...