Sponsored by:

EVO Review of 718 Base Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:45 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RNGRJAG
Oh, g'day mate! Porsche and douche are alive and well? How the heck are you pronouncing "douche" down under? Oh, wait, are you being clever--they don't actually rhyme? Please discuss...

I find it amusing that this post was originally about a poor review of a base Boxster, yet somehow it morphed into a "as good as a Spyder," in particular the "S." I'm not trying to "rain on other peoples enjoyment of their well earned cars." I just think they are delusional if they think any 718 is at all akin to a 981 Spyder. That's called an opinion.

Yes, I'm butthurt. Right. I am so concerned with the "improvements" of the 718 that I'm gonna run right out and buy one. That's kinda the important metric sweetheart. Take rate. I take it from your comments that you own neither a Spyder nor a 718 of any stripe. You've driven the 718? Congratulations, an expert you have become. You do realize that there are many, many modern Porsches that are objectively faster and "better" performers that are not nearly as cherished as their older, slower counterparts right?

How about a little wager, mate? Take a deep breath and draw deep on one of your pipes. Stagger on into a Porsche dealer, y'know, where the douchaaaas are. Spend $100K (US) of your own money on a 718 Boxster S, or about $1.6 million AUS, or whatever cars cost down under. Try to sell your 718 car in a year, three years, five years, whatever...let's see who's "butthurt." (Hint: Priced a Spyder lately?)

The 718 is not selling well, nor will it. Early adopters already bought one. Douchaaas like me won't buy one. Pretty interesting that people, Porschephile douchbags presumably, are already losing their minds over the prospect of a manual, normally aspirated GT3. In other words mate, let me connect the dots for you in case you miss the point..."objective" metrics are only part of the equation in a passion purchase. I truly couldn't give less of a **** about the 718. I don't even believe it should be in the same forum as the N/A cars.

I am a Porschephile because I like and support the brand. Older Porschephile douchaaas like me weren't happy when 911s went to liquid cooling (albeit a necessary evil). Douchaaas like me weren't happy with the egg-yolk 911s. How have air cooled 911s fared in terms of value? How well have those egg yolk cars fared in terms of value? When they were released they were objectively faster than the models they replaced, they were just ugly. Guess what, they are just as ugly today, resale values suck and Porsche listened to the douchaaaas and fixed the headlights going forward. Maybe you fail to see the correlation between contemporaneous desirability (when the car is initially released) amongst people who value these cars and their future values. The 718s will suffer the same fate--unloved in the future. They are a misstep by Porsche. I don't care if that offends you or anyone else. It's an opinion mate.

Now, this thing about soggy biscuits....don't even know where to begin...

^^^

Well I currently own two Porsches (981 GTS and 991.2 S C2S) and I have money down on a 991.2 GT3 RS and was discussing with my SA this very day how my PTS GT3 allocation was looking

I just drive em'
Old 06-07-2017, 07:57 AM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
^^^

Well I currently own two Porsches (981 GTS and 991.2 S C2S) and I have money down on a 991.2 GT3 RS and was discussing with my SA this very day how my PTS GT3 allocation was looking

I just drive em'
Duuuude, you are a KING DOUCHAAA! A GT3RS and a PTS GT3

I am truly envious, although your choice of cars only proves my point...you're not plunking down your hard-earned money for a 718, are you?

Of course, with your stable, presumably even a 981 Spyder is a hair-dressers car to you! Good on you. Good-good sales must be booming!
Old 06-07-2017, 09:04 AM
randr
Banned

^ Thanks for that - just goes to show I'm no "Porschephile" as you call them. In which case, I'm very glad I'm not.

I have no interest in you or your opinion - conversely, I am more than happy to point out, on the basis of experience, the 718 series are excellent cars. This is something most owners know and most owners will point out and is consistent with all metrics. Of course, this is experience you don't have and I do happen to have.

You can keep digging the hole you can't avoid the facts.

I would be more than happy to own a 718 or 718S. I am "plunking" down my hard earned on specific cars for specific reasons, essentially class based.

As I said above the Spyder and GT4 are fine cars, a reflection of their day in the sun. Time simply moves on.

Last edited by randr; 06-08-2017 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Indigestion due to other people eating vast quantities of wchops
Old 06-07-2017, 03:57 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by pc4ever

BTW, according to current 2017 sales figures for every 911 and 718 that is sold in the U.S., there are three Macan, Pannys and Cayene's sold. The 911 will survive forever; the Boxster/Cayman, not so sure as far as the U.S. is concerned - .................. What a loss, if that becomes fact.
That's a sobering thought. Yes, #s speak for themselves: sales are down. But, the real question is, not how many they sold; but, are they profitable? If the current volume indicates general consumption, then sales #s might hold steady, albeit at a lower level, from year-to-year trend. At these levels, Boxsters and Caymans could still be profitable. They also add to the corporate volume which will help other metrics. Then there is the business for dealers, which is a big deal.

So, even if enthusiasts (snobs like me!!) stay away, Boxster/Cayman platform would continue to add to the bottom line to Porsche and dealers. Now, when hybrids and electrics hit the stores.......! Well, that's a thought for another day!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:08 PM
pc4ever
Intermediate

Originally Posted by the_rider
Yes, #s speak for themselves: sales are down. Now, when hybrids and electrics hit the stores.......! Well, that's a thought for another day!
I haven't seen the numbers for 718's in ROW, to-date. I had some anecdotal information that the 718 line is doing better outside the U.S., probably due to the engine displacement taxes as much as the supposed gas mileage and emission improvements. BTW, when I'm blasting around in the 718S, I don't see much mileage improvement (if at all) over the CGTS mileage.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:11 PM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

^ Thanks for that - just goes to show I'm no "Porschephile" as you call them. In which case, I'm very glad I'm not.

I have no interest in you or your opinion - conversely, I am more than happy to point out, on the basis of experience, the 718 series are excellent cars. This is something most owners know and most owners will point out and is consistent with all metrics. Of course, this is experience you don't have and I do happen to have.

You can keep digging the hole you can't avoid the facts.

I would be more than happy to own a 718 or 718S. I am "plunking" down my hard earned on specific cars for specific reasons, essentially class based.

As I said above the Spyder and GT4 are fine cars, a reflection of their day in the sun. Time simply moves on.
Oh, I see, only YOUR opinion matters...very well, have fun in a car forum of one. "Can't avoid the facts." Apparently, reading comprehension is not your forte. I acknowledged numerical improvements with the new model. Not my argument Mr.-I'm-Glad-I'm-Not-A-Porschphile-Douche-Like-You. Run along now. G'day mate!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:31 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

An EVO text snap shot -

What’s it like to drive?

.... "Disappointing. Underwhelming. Soul destroying. All words and phrases I never thought I’d write about a Porsche sports car, but the 2-litre Boxster is a poor Porsche and the disappointment focuses on the moment the engine starts."
-end.

Gawd damn Porsche AG .. What were you PAG knuckleheads thinking ... The aural exhaust note of a Porsche sports car is something very special.. until now with the 718 4cyl models. What took you're eye off the 6 cyl engine ball? Possibly a down market VWAG product developed for a position below the Boxster/Cayman strata? .. A VW product sharing a derivative of the 2.0l & 2.5l VGT 4cyl boxer? You suck Porsche AG, a 4 cyl turbo horizontally opposed similarly positioned ala the ever capable econobox Subaru WRX . What were you thinking!
Old 06-07-2017, 10:07 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by pc4ever
I haven't seen the numbers for 718's in ROW, to-date. I had some anecdotal information that the 718 line is doing better outside the U.S., probably due to the engine displacement taxes as much as the supposed gas mileage and emission improvements. BTW, when I'm blasting around in the 718S, I don't see much mileage improvement (if at all) over the CGTS mileage.
If 982 platform does well outside the US, it's a good thing. It would help to offset the reduced volume here. Since NA is done for good, for the regular models, the general market either accepts and the volume perks up; or, the volume is lost for good. Time will tell.

As for the mileage, I don't think it's about MPG per se. It's more about CO2. However, MPG standards will get painfully tighter from 2020, along with CO2 and noise.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:43 AM
randr
Banned

Oh, I see, only YOUR opinion matters...very well, have fun in a car forum of one. "Can't avoid the facts." Apparently, reading comprehension is not your forte. I acknowledged numerical improvements with the new model. Not my argument Mr.-I'm-Glad-I'm-Not-A-Porschphile-Douche-Like-You. Run along now. G'day mate!
Not really, its easy to have an opinion - yours is simply that. In contrast, my opinion is based on the fact I drove a 718S for three days (inc. 1 on track). I'm more than happy to listen to other opinions, however like most others, I tend to give them credence based around the level of experience they are developed from.

Also I have driven pretty much every type of Porsche GT car so perhaps that counts for something along with the undeniable metrics pit out by the 718 series. That leads to a considered opinion based on experience.

The reality is you were being a bit of a dick - you were raining on peoples purchases and choices - this is patently obvious

Worse still, you compounded this by pointing out that in your view you were some sort of special Porsche supporter/brand defender and that in your mind as a Spyder owner you have a vehicle that is far superior.

You can continue to prove that Mark twain was largely correct in saying "It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it."

Or alternatively take a deep breath attempt to contribute something interesting or incisive, perhaps an experience or something based around a fact in relation to the 718.

You may want to think why Porsche make so many sports car variants, perhaps they understand their customer base and perhaps they recognise that it is diverse in terms of its wants and needs and that one group doesn't trump another group or speak for all.

Here are four facts for you to consider

(1) 997.2 GT3 RS 23.4s (450HP)
(2) 718S 23.5s (350HP)
(3) 981 GT4 23.5s (385HP)
(4) 458 Italia 23.6s (570HP)

They are from a handling test that links two x 200ft diameter circles via a high speed transition.

Over to you mate.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/517656/2...cayman-review/

Above - a recent review of the 718, why not contrast it with the EVO review.

Or how about this one from Car and Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...car-and-driver

again very different from the EVO review.

and for completeness

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...dk-test-review

Last edited by randr; 06-08-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:58 PM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Not really, its easy to have an opinion - yours is simply that. In contrast, my opinion is based on the fact I drove a 718S for three days (inc. 1 on track). I'm more than happy to listen to other opinions, however like most others, I tend to give them credence based around the level of experience they are developed from.

Also I have driven pretty much every type of Porsche GT car so perhaps that counts for something along with the undeniable metrics pit out by the 718 series. That leads to a considered opinion based on experience.

The reality is you were being a bit of a dick - you were raining on peoples purchases and choices - this is patently obvious

Worse still, you compounded this by pointing out that in your view you were some sort of special Porsche supporter/brand defender and that in your mind as a Spyder owner you have a vehicle that is far superior.

You can continue to prove that Mark twain was largely correct in saying "It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it."

Or alternatively take a deep breath attempt to contribute something interesting or incisive, perhaps an experience or something based around a fact in relation to the 718.

You may want to think why Porsche make so many sports car variants, perhaps they understand their customer base and perhaps they recognise that it is diverse in terms of its wants and needs and that one group doesn't trump another group or speak for all.

Here are four facts for you to consider

(1) 997.2 GT3 RS 23.4s (450HP)
(2) 718S 23.5s (350HP)
(3) 981 GT4 23.5s (385HP)
(4) 458 Italia 23.6s (570HP)

They are from a handling test that links two x 200ft diameter circles via a high speed transition.

Over to you mate.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/517656/2...cayman-review/

Above - a recent review of the 718, why not contrast it with the EVO review.

Or how about this one from Car and Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...car-and-driver

again very different from the EVO review.

and for completeness

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...dk-test-review
Over to me. Fine. I'm bored on a rainy day, or, wait, am I on recess from seventh grade? More on that later. What are you carrying on about? Okay, I get it, you drove a 718 for three days. Congratulations.

You are quoting Twain? To an anonymous web poster? Let's be honest here; we are both tools sitting around circle-jerking about cars on an internet forum. About subjective issues. Not objective metrics. You do understand that, don't you? You apparently missed the opine thing.

Glad you like the 718. As for douchtastic how about, "I've driven a car for 3 days and got a PTS GT3 on order and money on a GT3RS." Nope nothing to see here. You're NOT A DOUCHE. "Special brand defender?" Are you really this obtuse? My original comments were a joking "opinion" about anyone comparing a N/A, manual, 911S engined car to a turbo 4. Do you suppose I literally meant EVERYONE who disagreed with me was "ON THE PIPE?"

Yes, yes, Porsche really knows its market...that's why they were taken aback by GT4 sales demand, the 911R and a return to a MT GT3. Every large conglomerate mis-fires from time to time. Kinda like your posts. Nonsensical. I never said the Spyder IS THE BEST CAR EVER!!!

Oh the irony; I was "raining on the parade" of all of the unwashed masses of 718 owners and you just HAD to step up to defend them? With your "insightful" 3/10ths of a second quicker than the 981? Your sweet, sweet words a cooling, soothing balm on the open wounds inflicted by some no one on an internet forum spouting off an opinion? Martyr much? What a joke. I guess, on balance, you would say the press reviews of the 718 are overwhelmingly positive? (These are rhetorical questions because I really don't care about your response. However, I'm paid to argue for a living, and bored, so I am happy keep this up ad infinitum, especially where you, apparently, fail to see the ridiculousness of it all.)

Here's my "insightful contribution"; I, as the "GREAT BRAND DEFENDER" hereby proclaim the 718 and 718S AS THE GREATEST CARS EVER MADE BY PORSCHE!

There. Feel better now? Do you suppose all of those 718 owners feel greater satisfaction in their purchase decisions? Oooohhh, I hope so, because I would hate to be characterized as some dickish person with a differing opinion. Do YOU feel better that you stepped in to fight the dickish monster who thinks a turbo four was a mistake by Porsche? I hope you will stand a bit taller, step a bit jauntier and sleep a bit better.

Wait, wait...my opinion would only matter if I gave you my bona fides right? If I expounded on all of my time driving the 718, or my allegations of GT car driving and ownership. Or perhaps my professional racing licenses. Perhaps my experience as an F1 driver. No, wait, I AM LEWIS HAMILTON. There. Now that we are through the absolutely unverifiable bona fides, perhaps my opinion will matter as much as yours. On the internet. (In addition, I have logged over 78,000 hours in various Porsches on Gran Tourismo 1-6. I am anxiously awaiting the next release. I sure hope they have the 718 in there!)

Additionally, I now issue an edict: Here ye, here ye! Henceforth, anyone who addresses me on Rennlist MUST use the "GREAT BRAND DEFENDER" (all caps, of course) in any rebuttal post to me!

Perhaps quote Chaucer next, or maybe James; no, wait, the Bible--it adds such gravamen and intellectual heft to even the most churlish of banal arguments one is having with an anonymous loser on a web forum.

Or, better yet, grab another popcorn emoticon and get over your fooking self.

TL;DNR. Another ridiculous forum debate about opinions of the 718 amongst douchbags who may, or may not, actually own Porsches.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:34 PM
Viffermike
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Over to me. Fine. I'm bored on a rainy day, or, wait, am I on recess from seventh grade? More on that later. What are you carrying on about? Okay, I get it, you drove a 718 for three days. Congratulations.

You are quoting Twain? To an anonymous web poster? Let's be honest here; we are both tools sitting around circle-jerking about cars on an internet forum. About subjective issues. Not objective metrics. You do understand that, don't you? You apparently missed the opine thing.

Glad you like the 718. As for douchtastic how about, "I've driven a car for 3 days and got a PTS GT3 on order and money on a GT3RS." Nope nothing to see here. You're NOT A DOUCHE. "Special brand defender?" Are you really this obtuse? My original comments were a joking "opinion" about anyone comparing a N/A, manual, 911S engined car to a turbo 4. Do you suppose I literally meant EVERYONE who disagreed with me was "ON THE PIPE?"

Yes, yes, Porsche really knows its market...that's why they were taken aback by GT4 sales demand, the 911R and a return to a MT GT3. Every large conglomerate mis-fires from time to time. Kinda like your posts. Nonsensical. I never said the Spyder IS THE BEST CAR EVER!!!

Oh the irony; I was "raining on the parade" of all of the unwashed masses of 718 owners and you just HAD to step up to defend them? With your "insightful" 3/10ths of a second quicker than the 981? Your sweet, sweet words a cooling, soothing balm on the open wounds inflicted by some no one on an internet forum spouting off an opinion? Martyr much? What a joke. I guess, on balance, you would say the press reviews of the 718 are overwhelmingly positive? (These are rhetorical questions because I really don't care about your response. However, I'm paid to argue for a living, and bored, so I am happy keep this up ad infinitum, especially where you, apparently, fail to see the ridiculousness of it all.)

Here's my "insightful contribution"; I, as the "GREAT BRAND DEFENDER" hereby proclaim the 718 and 718S AS THE GREATEST CARS EVER MADE BY PORSCHE!

There. Feel better now? Do you suppose all of those 718 owners feel greater satisfaction in their purchase decisions? Oooohhh, I hope so, because I would hate to be characterized as some dickish person with a differing opinion. Do YOU feel better that you stepped in to fight the dickish monster who thinks a turbo four was a mistake by Porsche? I hope you will stand a bit taller, step a bit jauntier and sleep a bit better.

Wait, wait...my opinion would only matter if I gave you my bona fides right? If I expounded on all of my time driving the 718, or my allegations of GT car driving and ownership. Or perhaps my professional racing licenses. Perhaps my experience as an F1 driver. No, wait, I AM LEWIS HAMILTON. There. Now that we are through the absolutely unverifiable bona fides, perhaps my opinion will matter as much as yours. On the internet. (In addition, I have logged over 78,000 hours in various Porsches on Gran Tourismo 1-6. I am anxiously awaiting the next release. I sure hope they have the 718 in there!)

Additionally, I now issue an edict: Here ye, here ye! Henceforth, anyone who addresses me on Rennlist MUST use the "GREAT BRAND DEFENDER" (all caps, of course) in any rebuttal post to me!

Perhaps quote Chaucer next, or maybe James; no, wait, the Bible--it adds such gravamen and intellectual heft to even the most churlish of banal arguments one is having with an anonymous loser on a web forum.

Or, better yet, grab another popcorn emoticon and get over your fooking self.

TL;DNR. Another ridiculous forum debate about opinions of the 718 amongst douchbags who may, or may not, actually own Porsches.
Maybe I don't know Porsches. But I do know the ins and outs of proper forum and thread behavior.

Reported.

Back to you, sir.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:48 PM
DiabloBlanco
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, that was some shrimp on the barbie if I ever seen one!
Old 06-08-2017, 06:56 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least they made the 718 a gamer. I don't remember how the 944 sounded, probably because it had no sports car sound. But the worst part about it was until you got it wound up it was a dog, at least the new Boxster can run. Hell, Dodge made the conquest TSI commercial that specifically made the point it would outrun the 944, well to sixty anyhow. Myself, I prefer the six and I'm very happy to own one even if it's only a 3.4 which could likely ignite another melee debate. Lastly, I want to say to both of you guys you are both clearly quite smart, that comes across in your dialogue construction, the truth is you are more alike than you are different and in a different venue I'd dare say you might enjoy a cold one together.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

There is only one way to settle a argument like this.

Race.

You both drive your respective cars, on a race track and winner can take the pink slip of the other car. Alternatively, loser pays for as many drinks as the winner can stomach.

Simple.

Oh, the guy with more deeper pockets can ship his car and meet the other guy.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Syeo86
There is only one way to settle a argument like this. Race. You both drive your respective cars, on a race track and winner can take the pink slip of the other car. Alternatively, loser pays for as many drinks as the winner can stomach. Simple. Oh, the guy with more deeper pockets can ship his car and meet the other guy.
That wouldn't prove anything about the cars. Only the drivers. If I run in a novice or newbie solo group I can shame a 991 GT3 driver while in my 15 year old Boxster S.

Quick Reply: EVO Review of 718 Base Boxster