Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO Review of 718 Base Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:03 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 926 Likes on 431 Posts

It appears the engineers in charge of the 718 and 991.2 are in the "sound doesn't matter" camp. If sales suffer we may get improvements, otherwise we may be stuck with these. I'll be skipping this generation and it isn't a close call.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:07 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
It appears the engineers in charge of the 718 and 991.2 are in the "sound doesn't matter" camp. If sales suffer we may get improvements, otherwise we may be stuck with these. I'll be skipping this generation and it isn't a close call.
They must have worked for BMW.
McLaren and Ferrari did an OK job with the noise, though still pretty pitiful compared to NA. Turbos are hard....new era. I hope they don't jump the shark and pipe in fake noise through speakers.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:15 PM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
McLaren and Ferrari did an OK job with the noise, though still pretty pitiful compared to NA. Turbos are hard....new era. I hope they don't jump the shark and pipe in fake noise through speakers.
Don't forget Mercedes! The E63 sounds very good for a turbo.

They're not kidding about the boxer-four drone, it was very annoying in my BRZ.

Porsche had to do this, it's not like they wanted to dump turbos on us. But it works out well for them, slightly increasing demand for the 911 from previous Boxster/Cayman owners and GT3's for those who absolutely need a naturally aspirated 911.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Actually, my wife's 340xi sounds very good. Much more heft than the current 328 4 cylinder cars. And very different sound from her '09 328 NA six. For a daily driver, it's a nice car.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:15 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mrs Rat's cousin has an Impreza WRX that he's tuned to about 420hp, and I think it sounds awesome. Different from a Porsche, but still awesome. I'm not going to knock the 718's sound till I've driven one in person, and sound always has aftermarket solutions. Was driving through South London last week and a woman drove past me with 3 kids in a heavily bodykitted 997 TTS which sounded like the hammer of God. Honestly, it was one of the best sounding Porsches I have ever heard, so there is hope for the turbos yet!
Old 06-05-2016, 07:20 AM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, it's not engineers who hate sound. It is quite simply EU carbon regulations (and perhaps CAFE). There is no other way for porsche to match their requirements.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:28 PM
JBsZ06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was quite surprised by the base 718 review by ego. I had read other reviews that actually preferred the base turbo to the S model.

This article is quite contradictory to that earlier report.

The 718 is not cheap so I look forward to base 718 owners reviews here.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

It's interesting to compare and contrast the lukewarm (or worse) EVO review to the absolutely glowing review of the 982 base and S appearing in the August issue of Excellence. Excellence's praise of both new models couldn't be more effusive concluding that "these are the best base and S model Boxsters that Porsche has ever built."

Their review seems to bend over backwards to draw favorable comparisons between the 982 S and the 981 Spyder. Some examples:

“Both the base and S models get the 981 Boxster Spyder’s rear suspension brace, larger diameter shock absorbers and the 911 Turbo’s electric steering system that’s 10-percent quicker than the one found in the 981s.”

“At the end of the top speed section, we hit the brakes hard in the stopping zone and are pleasantly surprised to find that they feel strong, stable and not too different from the 340mm (13.4 inch) and 330mm (13 inch) rotors found on the 981 Boxster Spyder.”

“The transition in and out of the maneuver form one lane and back agains feels much quicker – perhaps even a little better than what we felt in the 981 Boxster Spyder.”

“On the backroads, the new S’s power and torque continues to impress us. Although it has 25 fewer horsepower than the outgoing 375-hp 981 Boxster Spyder, the two cars feel similar in terms of power delivery. We ultimately attribute this to the 982 S’s ample torque. While the 981 Spyder made 309 lb-ft of torque from 4,750-6,000 rpm, the 982 S – as noted earlier – makes that same amount of torque, but it makes it much lower in the rev range. Where the Spyder’s engine needed to be wound out to get it into its torque band, the 982 S’s engine pulls much harder from lower revs.”

“As we drive through the bends of a narrow, essentially one-lane backroad, we find the 982 S to feel similar to the Spyder through the curves as well. Although the S weighs 155 lbs more than the Spyder (3,054 lbs vs. 2,899 lbs), we are confident that the 981 Spyder and 982 S would run similar lap times on a race track. And the performance numbers back this up. The 982 S with a PDK is actually three-tenths of a second faster from 0-60 mph than the Boxster Spyder (4.2 sec. vs. 4.5 sec.) and is just three miles per hour slower than the Spyder at the top end (177 mph vs. 180 mph). The Spyder’s power-to-weight ration of 7.7 lbs/hp betters the 982 S’s lbs/hp ration by just 1.0 lb/hp.”

“On secondary roads and the highway, the 982 S reminds us of the Spyder in terms of exhaust noise and ride. While the 982’s flat-four engine has a different sound, like the Spyder, if you are in Sport or Sport Plus mode on the freeway, the drone coming from the exhaust pipes can get annoying. . . . The S rides like the Spyder, too. . . .”

". . . the new Boxster S is a full five seconds faster around the Nurburgring than the 2016 Boxster Spyder . . . .”

“In terms of price, the new 718 Boxster S starts at $68,400. In comparison, the 2016 Boxster Spyder started at $82,100 . . .”

The average reader will come away reading the Excellence review thinking the 982 S equals, or betters, the 981 Spyder in every category - power delivery, braking, steering, handling, ride, even sound - at a starting price that is approx. 20% less. If true, then hats off to Porsche for this miraculous feat.

I will be anxious to get some quality seat time in the new cars when they arrive later this month, if for no other reason than to decide for myself whether EVO or Excellence got it more right. As much as I love my Spyder, I want the 718 to be a success for Porsche and certainly don't wish it ill as anything that hurts the brand or dilutes the Boxster name is a negative in my book.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:02 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Think you shouldn't compare 718S and Spyder - way too different cars.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Think you shouldn't compare 718S and Spyder - way too different cars.
Yes, I sold a 996 TT to buy the 981 Spyder. Both very fun cars, but just on basis of turbo vs NA engine, not similar cars at all.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:55 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

Funny how many videos are posted on YouTube praising the 718 both in Non S and S models.

Ian
Old 06-09-2016, 02:07 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

And those reviewers are owners, automotive journalists, youtubers or just people who are happy to be borrowed a car?

What I'm saying is that when it comes to car reviews, I personally have a pretty good idea of which people I put my trust in, for a number of reasons.

Too bad Chris Harris doesn't do YT anymore (didn't he promise to post his 991.1GTS video some time ago... ?)

But Andrew Frankel, Harry Metcalfe, Richard Meaden, Rebecca Jackson, Tiff Needell et.al. are all people in whose words I tend to put a little more weight than say shmeewhatever and similar guys/girls.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:38 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

Rarely have I read an article that is such hot air baloney from a car mag but this appears to be a trend with Excellence. If it were not for the inaccuracies I would think Porsche wrote the article for them because it reads like non stop advertising hype. Clearly, they know who butters their bread.

Frankly to me, it is insulting as it is inaccurate.

First, Porsche's 0-60 rating for the 981 Spyder is 4.3 and for the 718S MT it is 4.4 for the 718S with pdk it is 4.2 and 4.0 with SC.

Second, the exhaust note of the 4 banger turbo is like the Spyder's. If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

Third, the only Ring times I've seen for the 718S are with the pdk SC option so again comparing it with an MT car is nothing if not disingenuous. Particularly when this important fact was left out. Let's see how the ring time of the 718S MT compares to the Spyder.

It's refreshing to see at least magazines like EVO have some journalistic integrity left. Hopefully Porsche doesn't pull too many of their adverts.

And as far as Spyder like performance at a cut rate price is concerned, you can buy a C7 Z06 and get GT3 performance at an even bigger discount.

Let's see in 10 years which car is more desirable. The four banger turbo with the Porsche buildboard sticking out the trunk or one of the most beautiful looking convertibles to come out of Zuffenhausen with that glorious sounding NA 3.8 flat 6 engine whirring behind the seats.

Btw, never mind coming away with thinking they got Spdyer performance for a 20% discount, they basically got Carrera S Cab performance at an even greater discount. Funny Excellence didn't mention the fact that the performance numbers from the two cars 991S cab and 981S are nearly identical. And For the first time a Boxster S clearly out performs the base Carrera Cab. I guess that wasn't in Porsche's talking points.

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
It's interesting to compare and contrast the lukewarm (or worse) EVO review to the absolutely glowing review of the 982 base and S appearing in the August issue of Excellence. Excellence's praise of both new models couldn't be more effusive concluding that "these are the best base and S model Boxsters that Porsche has ever built."

Their review seems to bend over backwards to draw favorable comparisons between the 982 S and the 981 Spyder. Some examples:

“Both the base and S models get the 981 Boxster Spyder’s rear suspension brace, larger diameter shock absorbers and the 911 Turbo’s electric steering system that’s 10-percent quicker than the one found in the 981s.”

“At the end of the top speed section, we hit the brakes hard in the stopping zone and are pleasantly surprised to find that they feel strong, stable and not too different from the 340mm (13.4 inch) and 330mm (13 inch) rotors found on the 981 Boxster Spyder.”

“The transition in and out of the maneuver form one lane and back agains feels much quicker – perhaps even a little better than what we felt in the 981 Boxster Spyder.”

“On the backroads, the new S’s power and torque continues to impress us. Although it has 25 fewer horsepower than the outgoing 375-hp 981 Boxster Spyder, the two cars feel similar in terms of power delivery. We ultimately attribute this to the 982 S’s ample torque. While the 981 Spyder made 309 lb-ft of torque from 4,750-6,000 rpm, the 982 S – as noted earlier – makes that same amount of torque, but it makes it much lower in the rev range. Where the Spyder’s engine needed to be wound out to get it into its torque band, the 982 S’s engine pulls much harder from lower revs.”

“As we drive through the bends of a narrow, essentially one-lane backroad, we find the 982 S to feel similar to the Spyder through the curves as well. Although the S weighs 155 lbs more than the Spyder (3,054 lbs vs. 2,899 lbs), we are confident that the 981 Spyder and 982 S would run similar lap times on a race track. And the performance numbers back this up. The 982 S with a PDK is actually three-tenths of a second faster from 0-60 mph than the Boxster Spyder (4.2 sec. vs. 4.5 sec.) and is just three miles per hour slower than the Spyder at the top end (177 mph vs. 180 mph). The Spyder’s power-to-weight ration of 7.7 lbs/hp betters the 982 S’s lbs/hp ration by just 1.0 lb/hp.”

“On secondary roads and the highway, the 982 S reminds us of the Spyder in terms of exhaust noise and ride. While the 982’s flat-four engine has a different sound, like the Spyder, if you are in Sport or Sport Plus mode on the freeway, the drone coming from the exhaust pipes can get annoying. . . . The S rides like the Spyder, too. . . .”

". . . the new Boxster S is a full five seconds faster around the Nurburgring than the 2016 Boxster Spyder . . . .”

“In terms of price, the new 718 Boxster S starts at $68,400. In comparison, the 2016 Boxster Spyder started at $82,100 . . .”

The average reader will come away reading the Excellence review thinking the 982 S equals, or betters, the 981 Spyder in every category - power delivery, braking, steering, handling, ride, even sound - at a starting price that is approx. 20% less. If true, then hats off to Porsche for this miraculous feat.

I will be anxious to get some quality seat time in the new cars when they arrive later this month, if for no other reason than to decide for myself whether EVO or Excellence got it more right. As much as I love my Spyder, I want the 718 to be a success for Porsche and certainly don't wish it ill as anything that hurts the brand or dilutes the Boxster name is a negative in my book.

Last edited by Underblu; 06-09-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:59 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey

100% of Excellence Magazine income is derived from Porsche or Porsche related products and services. What else did you think they could say without shooting themselves in the foot ?

Independent reviews will continue to come and reveal unfortunate reality. Not only this engine will NEVER sound like a NA 3.8L, but the so-call huge torque is useless...

"The engine’s turbocharged characteristics just don’t suit the car. The mountain of torque arrives with a thump and pushes through to 4500rpm but it’s only when the engine starts to reach its peak above 5000rpm does it begin to perform as you expect and want it to. The throttle sharpens and gains some precision so you can start playing with the revs and controlling the car on the throttle, working that brilliant chassis. But it’s such a narrow operating window it’s inaccessible for large proportions of a drive."
Old 06-09-2016, 11:37 AM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 400 Likes on 184 Posts

I picked up Excellence and read the article last night. I was surprised at they never mentioned anything about turbo lag or its perceived absence. This article is definitely at a variance with other reviews both written and video.
Seems like just about all the cars tested had the optional sport exhaust.

Quick Reply: EVO Review of 718 Base Boxster