Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for new detailing tools for new 718?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2024 | 10:23 AM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by Van914
The Ryobi Mini Blower is Great!
That is good to hear. Is this the one you mean?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...e&gclsrc=3p.ds
Old 09-22-2024 | 11:52 AM
MeasureTwice
Rennlist Member

Passing on a lesson learned about using colored microfiber towels. I made the mistake of using a red microfiber towel with track spray to remove some track klag marks. It left a pinkish discoloration on the ppf. Of course I stopped immediately and switched to a white towel but the one spot took along time to disappear.
Old 09-22-2024 | 11:56 AM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by MeasureTwice
Passing on a lesson learned about using colored microfiber towels. I made the mistake of using a red microfiber towel with track spray to remove some track klag marks. It left a pinkish discoloration on the ppf. Of course I stopped immediately and switched to a white towel but the one spot took along time to disappear.
Wow never heard of that before. I wonder if that would be the same with other colors and otger kind of towels. Could the spray be more the cause? I use the Yellow Kirkland towels and Im thinking of ordering a Griots drying towel.
Old 09-22-2024 | 12:24 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

The yellow Kirklands are great for the interior, windshield, and smaller spaces. Also good for some of the grimier stuff since they're so inexpensive I don't mind trashing them if necessary. I've never had any color issues with them.

For the larger expanses of paintwork, a Griots or the like is the way to go for size and absorbency. Buy at least two. Depending on weather and some other factors, sometimes one is not enough in my experience.
Old 09-22-2024 | 12:45 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by ldamelio
The yellow Kirklands are great for the interior, windshield, and smaller spaces. Also good for some of the grimier stuff since they're so inexpensive I don't mind trashing them if necessary. I've never had any color issues with them.

For the larger expanses of paintwork, a Griots or the like is the way to go for size and absorbency. Buy at least two. Depending on weather and some other factors, sometimes one is not enough in my experience.
Hoping I will not need 2 for my Boxster but I will buy 1 and see how it goes.

I'm also going to buy a blower and see how that works. I usually only use Kirkland microfibers. Mmy hope is a Giots Super Towel after the blower and before the microfibers will be plenty.
Old 09-22-2024 | 02:27 PM
MeasureTwice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kram71
Wow never heard of that before. I wonder if that would be the same with other colors and otger kind of towels. Could the spray be more the cause? I use the Yellow Kirkland towels and Im thinking of ordering a Griots drying towel.
I think it was the combination of the track remover spray chemicals and that I was rubbing hard to remove the rubber mark.

I’ve found just one of the large Griots towels to be adequate. No need for two.
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024 | 04:10 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Agree - no need for two large microfibers with a blower. I have no blower and I have a roof (Cayman). Sometimes I can dry car with one if it's hot with quick evaporation, sometimes need two.

Track remover sprays can be harsh. I ruined a headlight with Mothers Racing Rubber Remover when a couple of drops got on my lens inadvertently. Gyeon product much gentler and equally effective.

Last edited by ldamelio; 09-22-2024 at 04:11 PM.
Kram71 (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024 | 04:11 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Agree - no need for two large microfibers with a blower. I have no blower and I have a roof (Cayman). Sometimes I can dry car with one if it's hot with quick evaporation, sometimes need two.
Thank you ☺️
Old 09-22-2024 | 06:08 PM
BudgetPlan1
Racer

Towels: Have some of the large Griots PFM’s but they’re almost too big so prefer Gyeon Silk Dryers. Twisted Loop material is the way to go with drying towels, safely suck up the most water compared to waffle-weave or ‘regular’ plush microfibers.

Air Dryers: Have a big twin-motor with a 30ft hose; nice but all that is really necessary is a handheld like a MetroVac Sidekick w the optional 3ft hose.

The hose/nozzle allows you to easily (and safely) blow water out of irritating areas like the back window/body seam of a Cayman which collects much water after a wash. The 1” nozzle much more effective at removing water from tight areas like rim/tire junction and lugnut wells. Hate dressing a tire when water still caught between rim/tire. Blowers with larger openings like the Egos I’ve seen move volumes of water but not as effective in tight areas.

Key for effective blower is is a good wax, sealant or ceramic; blowers dry mostly by moving water off of surface as opposed to drying it off like a hair dryer. I’ll dry horizontal surfaces first with a Silk Dryer ‘matador style’ (throw across surface, drag back holding 2 corners w no pressure) and then use blower to blow out tight areas. Drying a whole car with a blower can be like herding cats until ya figure out best way; works but not the most efficient time-wise.

Foam Cannon: MTM PF22. Have had models from $10 up to $85; they all produced foam, PF22 has just been easier, more enjoyable to use & maintain over the years.

Key to non-irritating pressure washer/foam cannon use is ease of use; turned an old air-hose reel into a pressure washer reel and rolled a good Kobrajet hose in it.

Lotsa ways to go about car care, easy to spend $$ too. I like clean cars but don’t like cleaning cars so to some extent, I’ll trade $$ for ease of use. As with anything, YMMV!

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 09-22-2024 at 06:26 PM.
Kram71 (09-22-2024)
Old 09-23-2024 | 08:55 AM
Van914
Rennlist Member

Mine is different listed as 18V Workshop Blower at Home Depot
Kram71 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024 | 12:30 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

here is the setup i use and am quite happy with.

pressure washer -$100 - https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...1802/317623149

foam cannon - $80 -
Amazon Amazon

soap - $22 - uses only 1oz per foam cannon fill -
Amazon Amazon

drying - $35 - i don't use this particular one but the craftsman i have is almost a duplicate and any electric blower will suffice - https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DE...B700/206813046

So i am under $250 all in. i did recently pick up a $25 stubby from harbor freight but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Kram71 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-24-2024 | 12:33 AM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Adam’s stuff is great, use the air cannon to dry (ceramic helps), would never go back to towels.
Old 09-24-2024 | 08:46 AM
Seanhfx
AutoX

SOAP
- Koche Chemie GSF
- DIY Incredible Suds

Drying towel
- Rag Company Gauntlet

Drier:
- EGO blower 580

Quick Reply: Suggestions for new detailing tools for new 718?