Sponsored by:

Is 2016 GT4 981 too Old in 2024?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2024, 07:37 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Arione
GT4 is a street car..... GT4 clubsport is a track car. That being said my 16 spyder has been the most reliable Porsche ive ever owned.
Can we agree on track oriented street car for the GT4?

Clubsport is a RACE car if we want to split semantic hairs even further. And there are subtle differences between the track day and comp versions of the Clubsport if you want to go further (pneumatic jacks, etc.).

My point was that Porsche did not engineer the GT4 as a Cars and Coffee special even if some are abused as such.

Last edited by ldamelio; 09-20-2024 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2024, 08:34 PM
Mike981S
Pro

Received 468 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by roguehitman
Hey guys,

Wanted to get your opinions on this. I was recently in the market for a new BMW M3, but then recently test drove the 718 GTS 4.0 and it was a drug I shouldn't have indulged in. Now I'm thinking of getting into the mid engine porsche. That being said for the same price as the 718 GTS 4.0 / BMW M3, I'm able to pick up a 2016 Porsche 981 GT4 with about 25,000-35,000 KM on it. I'm new to Porsche and was wondering if some of yall can chime in.

Is the 981 2016 GT4 too old now considering it's about 8-9 years old?
It is a 9 year old car now, so you may encounter the following issues (based on my own 981 GT4 and some others I have seen):
  • Outdated tech: No Apple CarPlay/Android Auto built in and Nav maps are out-of-date. You will have to do your own upgrade for a couple of $100s (to get CP/AA) and follow some of the forum posts here to update the nav maps.
  • Depending on previous owners and maintenance you may have some mechanical maintenance that will need to be done.
  • Some plastic trim pieces may need to re-attached if the glue(s) have weakened (in my case it was the front-side lip trim)
However, the car still feels modern inside, it has the right number of buttons and screens and the driving experience is great (better sound than the 718 GT4, feels rawer/more engaging, clutch feels heavier, has less power and slightly less precise steering than the 718).

Would maintenance and service costs be significantly higher given the 25-35k mileage and that it's an older car?
The big services are about every 4 years. So most of the 981 GT4s should have done their 8 year service this year (about $3k to $4k costs). Other than that, it is mainly consumables, especially tires.

These cars have not really depreciated for the people who bought them 8 years ago. That being said, I know you can't really know for sure, but in your humble opinion, you think I'll lose quite a bit on these considering they're quite old and havent depreciated much (an in fact appreciated)?
Given the low production numbers and that it was the first GT4, i would guess that it will not depreciate much more, besides mileage. It had a depreciation low before the pandemic and appreciated a lot during the pandemic and recently has gone back closer to the traditional pricing for Porsche GT cars for the age and mileage. If depreciation is a selling point, I would definitely take any GT4 (981 or 718) over an M3 or a GTS.

Other than that, the question will be what you will be using the car for. You can daily drive it assuming you can do it without scraping the front lip, but an M3 or a GTS is a much more comfortable car for that. Also, the heavy clutch can be a pain in stop-and-go traffic. The car is also a bit loud for long-distance highway driving due to the lack of sound isolation. However, if you use it for a weekend car, take it onto backroads, mountain roads, Autocross, or tracks, there are not many cars that feel better than a GT4 out of the box for about $85k to $100k.
The following users liked this post:
ldamelio (09-20-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 03:01 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a 9 year old car now, so you may encounter the following issues (based on my own 981 GT4 and some others I have seen):
  • Outdated tech: No Apple CarPlay/Android Auto built in and Nav maps are out-of-date.
I would argue this is it's best selling point. I has just enough tech and hard ***** and buttons.

Dan
Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM
silverscooby27
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Can we agree on track oriented street car for the GT4?

Clubsport is a RACE car if we want to split semantic hairs even further. And there are subtle differences between the track day and comp versions of the Clubsport if you want to go further (pneumatic jacks, etc.).

My point was that Porsche did not engineer the GT4 as a Cars and Coffee special even if some are abused as such.
track rats are annoying.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by silverscooby27
track rats are annoying.
I prefer 'track enthusiast'.

I was just responding to someone who started a needless semantic argument when my point was clear.

Now that's annoying..........

Last edited by ldamelio; Yesterday at 08:47 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

Having owned both a 718 and 981 GT4, I would say the 718 feels like a more serious and solid car. Steering is especially much much better. However I find myself missing the playfulness of the 981 as well as its exhaust sound. It was an outrageous car at the time of its release, finally giving the Cayman platform all the tools to go toe to toe with the 911 on the track. What's there not to love? suspension bits and brakes from the GT3 as well as the engine from a Carrera S! It was an immensely fun car that I felt fine driving on the road all the time. The 718 feels more track focused and therefore I don't drive it as much as I did my old 981. That being said $120k for a 981 without buckets seems a tad high but I haven't been looking specifically at those models in a long time.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Hey guys,

Wanted to get your opinions on this. I was recently in the market for a new BMW M3, but then recently test drove the 718 GTS 4.0 and it was a drug I shouldn't have indulged in. Now I'm thinking of getting into the mid engine porsche. That being said for the same price as the 718 GTS 4.0 / BMW M3, I'm able to pick up a 2016 Porsche 981 GT4 with about 25,000-35,000 KM on it. I'm new to Porsche and was wondering if some of yall can chime in.

Is the 981 2016 GT4 too old now considering it's about 8-9 years old?
Would maintenance and service costs be significantly higher given the 25-35k mileage and that it's an older car?
These cars have not really depreciated for the people who bought them 8 years ago. That being said, I know you can't really know for sure, but in your humble opinion, you think I'll lose quite a bit on these considering they're quite old and havent depreciated much (an in fact appreciated)?

Oh and lastly, I'm looking at about $120K CAD ($88K USD) for the 2016 981 GT4 with 35K km on it (no buckets). Is this somewhat a good deal?

Thank you so much!
PCV dropped the price on the GT4 you were interested in.. It's only $117k now.. I say you go in at the end of the month and squeeze them.

Quick Reply: Is 2016 GT4 981 too Old in 2024?