Sponsored by:

Quick center console question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 07:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Quick center console question

Will an iPhone Pro fit leaning upright in the open cubby of the center console and is the cubby deep enough to keep it in place in normal driving? If not, since I don't think I'd use that storage spot for anything else, I'd rather have the $0 smoking package which provides a 12V outlet and results in a cleaner look, IMO. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2024, 11:39 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 2,210 Posts

You mean the standard oddments tray?

Standard chapstick might fit in there

Get the smoking package. Plug your maintainer in there.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (08-21-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 11:51 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 143 Posts

To me the smoking package is a must-have option. Center console looks cheap without it. And don't believe a large phone fits anyway. I'll put mine hooked up with a short cable inside the console.
Old 08-18-2024, 11:53 PM
GTFourumMember
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone who bought used and was stuck w/ the cubby, you should 100% get the smoking package. I retrofitted that compartment b/c it looks better, but haven't torn the interior apart to wire the plug. (Proabbly never will since i use wired android auto, but it just looks cleaner.) I put a sunglasses / screen cleaning cloth in it.
Old 08-18-2024, 11:54 PM
GTFourumMember
7th Gear

There are also these from various sellers, if you want your phone accessible.
https://nine-volt.com/collections/al...43004712255657
Old 08-19-2024, 01:57 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks for the good advice! Smoking package it is.
Old 08-19-2024, 09:45 AM
Chrismalberts
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

>>I put a sunglasses / screen cleaning cloth in it.

Yep, me too.
Old 08-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,548 Likes on 863 Posts

+1 for smoking package. Its also nice just having that extra outlet for passengers.
Old 08-20-2024, 02:30 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
To me the smoking package is a must-have option. Center console looks cheap without it. And don't believe a large phone fits anyway. I'll put mine hooked up with a short cable inside the console.
The better option is the nine0volt charger or something like that. The non smoking package also looks cheap. And the nine volt charger in the non-smoking package is worse because the door is always open.

https://nine-volt.com/products/wirel...r-apple-iphone

And if you prefer your phone in a vertical orientation on the charger then there is this.

https://www.kaizenlighting.com/99198...2011_p_59.html
Old 08-20-2024, 08:38 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 143 Posts

The door doesn't look cheap. And if you think it does, then the entire car probably looks cheap to you. I'd NEVER put a charger there either. The smoking package door will always remain closed on my car (as it did on my ex-981 GTS). I don't like wireless chargers anyway. Like I mentioned, my phone will be stored AND charged inside the center console, with a very short cable.
The following users liked this post:
Mike in CA (08-21-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 09:04 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 369 Likes on 256 Posts

https://www.rennline.com/exactfit-ma...t-sku-pm01-03/

mounted on the passenger side. love it. strong magnet on the non-charging version i have and i have one of those little plates on the back of my cover. leave about 12" or so of cable out of the center console to charge and use carplay.

they also have a higher mount but it blocks the screen and cupholders if mounted on the right side. other one was much better solution.

https://www.rennline.com/exactfit-ma...t-sku-pm01-04/
Old 08-21-2024, 02:09 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by JCtx
The door doesn't look cheap. And if you think it does, then the entire car probably looks cheap to you. I'd NEVER put a charger there either. The smoking package door will always remain closed on my car (as it did on my ex-981 GTS). I don't like wireless chargers anyway. Like I mentioned, my phone will be stored AND charged inside the center console, with a very short cable.
I agree. I've had the option in other Porsches but thought maybe the open cubby might be functional in the Boxster for short term phone storage. Since it's not, I'm happy to get the door since the console looks better with it than without and I'll store and charge my phone in the console like you're doing.
Old 08-21-2024, 10:54 AM
GTFourumMember
7th Gear

Mine has only opened once and it's b/c i nudged it. It doesn't pop open in normal (or even aggressive) driving. The charger is still intriguing for me b/c i have two phones (iphone work, pixel personal) w/ the pixel plugged in for wired AA. But i've read in one of the bigger threads here that some of the wireless chargers (even the nice ones that we've linked here) scratch over time. For now i just keep the iphone in my pocket and get alerts on a cheap old apple watch i bought for this purpose. This is all totally reasonable behavior and you cannot convince me otherwise haha.
Old 08-24-2024, 02:42 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFourumMember
As someone who bought used and was stuck w/ the cubby, you should 100% get the smoking package. I retrofitted that compartment b/c it looks better, but haven't torn the interior apart to wire the plug. (Proabbly never will since i use wired android auto, but it just looks cleaner.) I put a sunglasses / screen cleaning cloth in it.
Concur--I bought my 2022 BGTS used and retrofitted the smoking package. Said it before--I wish smoking package was standard equipment with a no-cost delete or change its name to something else (as opposed to the way it works now). I suspect you'd see very few cars with the useless cubby that you get with standard equipment and not checking the smoking package option.
Old 08-24-2024, 07:50 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 2,210 Posts

There are three options that are horribly described…

Smoking Package (Just make it standard)

Dual Zone A/C (should be called Automatic AC)

PTV (Option is LSD w/PTV)

Quick Reply: Quick center console question