Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

How Old Are You?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2024, 08:58 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by Spree17
Jay Leno once said, its not the young model guy on the brochure driving these cars. Its the old guys like me (Jay) that can afford them. 😊
It's more than afford. GT and definitely GTRS models don't go to people that can just afford them generally.

The new GT car owners I meet are generally old. The young GT car owners bought second hand, for more than the cost of a new one. I'm sure there are plenty of young people that could afford one that just couldn't get an allocation and went elsewhere, or ended up getting an allocation for something they could get, like a base or S or just bought a bmw that was collecting dust on the lot that they'll sell to anyone.

I also think unless you fell *** backwards into rich parents, most people that are wise aren't willing to shed money on a toy until they're established and stable. For most either they're just starting their career/business in the 20s and are ramping up income, or are still in school for careers that start out with high income. It's only in the 30s or 40s even for a lot of people when there is enough stability and equity to start looking at flushing some down the toilet on a toy car.

So it's not really about being able to afford one while young, but being more logical to roll that money into their business or investments or property... or even just doing life experiences while still young enough.
Old 08-04-2024, 03:35 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,548 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
It's more than afford. GT and definitely GTRS models don't go to people that can just afford them generally.

The new GT car owners I meet are generally old. The young GT car owners bought second hand, for more than the cost of a new one. I'm sure there are plenty of young people that could afford one that just couldn't get an allocation and went elsewhere, or ended up getting an allocation for something they could get, like a base or S or just bought a bmw that was collecting dust on the lot that they'll sell to anyone.

I also think unless you fell *** backwards into rich parents, most people that are wise aren't willing to shed money on a toy until they're established and stable. For most either they're just starting their career/business in the 20s and are ramping up income, or are still in school for careers that start out with high income. It's only in the 30s or 40s even for a lot of people when there is enough stability and equity to start looking at flushing some down the toilet on a toy car.

So it's not really about being able to afford one while young, but being more logical to roll that money into their business or investments or property... or even just doing life experiences while still young enough.
Yeah a lot of it is just this generation not having much disposable income. Honestly, i wouldnt have bought my GT4 if i didnt already own a house and decided not to have kids.
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 09:23 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Why no 80s in the poll?

81 this month … picking up my GTS on Sep 5 in Atlanta
The following 7 users liked this post by Mike_A:
fantôme (08-24-2024), GT3FZS (08-11-2024), InfamousMS (08-05-2024), Kram71 (08-04-2024), ldamelio (08-04-2024), needmoregarage (08-04-2024), OKCabriolet (08-11-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-04-2024, 03:23 PM
Cg50s9j6
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 74

[QUOTE=Spree17;19574454]I was curious about the average age of our 718 owners. If you can please participate in the poll. Thanks in advance. You do not have to make a post saying your age.[/QU. 74
Kram71 (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 03:24 PM
Cg50s9j6
2nd Gear

I was curious about the average age of our 718 owners. If you can please participate in the poll. Thanks in advance. You do not have to make a post saying your age.
74 young
Old 08-06-2024, 06:33 PM
rwm
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I was curious about the average age of our 718 owners. If you can please participate in the poll. Thanks in advance. You do not have to make a post saying your age.
Kram71 (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 06:46 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 136 Posts

Definitely curious in what some of these results are, I figure I am on the younger side being in my 20's, but around me I have seen quiet the Porsche lineup among people around that age.
Kram71 (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 07:05 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,548 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillip Berk
Definitely curious in what some of these results are, I figure I am on the younger side being in my 20's, but around me I have seen quiet the Porsche lineup among people around that age.
20s is defiantly on the younger side. But you seem quite accomplished for your age based on what i've seen on your IG. I myself was still working minimum wage jobs and driving a 25 year old Honda Civic when i was in my mid 20s.

I think the opportunity for success is higher now than it's ever been for younger generations. I'm right after the generation which was all about working hard to get a stable career and thats how you make your money.

It is wild though thinking about where i was just 15 years ago and then here i am, with a house, wife, and my second Porsche on its way.
Kram71 (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 07:58 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 668 Posts

I don’t believe anyone should assume anything about someone’s “wealth/net worth” based on anything other than intimate knowledge of their personal finances (which many folks keep very private). Photos/social media don’t mean anything.

Buying anything expensive at any age depends on your comfort with debt/loans, risk/reward, experiences versus financial stability (if it’s a choice of either-or) and also the definition of financial stability. Some people inherit their wealth. Some work very hard to earn it, and everything in between.

There are so many variables. To each their own. I’m not judging. If it works for you…great! Enjoy the ride.

No one can predict the future and one of the trickiest things in life is finding the balance to enjoy today, and have some security for “tomorrow”.

I’ve known folks who appear very wealthy based solely on ‘optics”. And then “poof” - it all changes. A “house of cards” that is leveraged to the max can fall quickly with very little warning.

The following 2 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
fantôme (08-24-2024), lilbza (08-07-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 11:15 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I don’t believe anyone should assume anything about someone’s “wealth/net worth” based on anything other than intimate knowledge of their personal finances (which many folks keep very private). Photos/social media don’t mean anything.

Buying anything expensive at any age depends on your comfort with debt/loans, risk/reward, experiences versus financial stability (if it’s a choice of either-or) and also the definition of financial stability. Some people inherit their wealth. Some work very hard to earn it, and everything in between.

There are so many variables. To each their own. I’m not judging. If it works for you…great! Enjoy the ride.

No one can predict the future and one of the trickiest things in life is finding the balance to enjoy today, and have some security for “tomorrow”.

I’ve known folks who appear very wealthy based solely on ‘optics”. And then “poof” - it all changes. A “house of cards” that is leveraged to the max can fall quickly with very little warning.

could not have said it better myself, living in South Florida, which in my opinion is the epitome of fake wealth, social media and cars are nothing to go off, at the same time I don't think you need to be extremely wealthy to purchase a car in this bracket of 100-150k if you are smart with your finances, and like you said understand how to leverage debt and being financially literate. I am lucky to have been somewhat successful with my company I started at a young age which has led me here but I know people around me making a whole heck of a lot less, and driving cars worth 2 or 3x as much. At the same time a purchase like this is almost never truly smart or needed, and is based on a want situation, like all luxuries are, and at the end of the day it just comes down to where you want to spend your money and what makes you happy!
needmoregarage (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 12:29 AM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 143 Posts

Very true. I know people who appeared wealthy, but they lost their job, and lost everything, because their net worth was zero (or even in negative territory). I'm risk averse, so I write a check for everything. Yes, advancement might seem much slower, but once I paid cash for my first house, started saving like crazy. So those years living in an apartment, and owning an older car, saving to pay cash for my first house, with no other debt. It was worth the sacrifice. I never understood the instant gratification lifestyle, but it can work if you don't get carried away, and have a stable/marketable job. I just chose not to follow that. In part because always had unstable jobs, so didn't want the added stress. Just like the old days: you buy something when you actually have the cash to pay for it. I don't regret having done that. Always felt safer building my finances on solid foundation, rather than a Jenga one. Ha ha. But to each his own, of course.
needmoregarage (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 01:02 AM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCtx
Very true. I know people who appeared wealthy, but they lost their job, and lost everything, because their net worth was zero (or even in negative territory). I'm risk averse, so I write a check for everything. Yes, advancement might seem much slower, but once I paid cash for my first house, started saving like crazy. So those years living in an apartment, and owning an older car, saving to pay cash for my first house, with no other debt. It was worth the sacrifice. I never understood the instant gratification lifestyle, but it can work if you don't get carried away, and have a stable/marketable job. I just chose not to follow that. In part because always had unstable jobs, so didn't want the added stress. Just like the old days: you buy something when you actually have the cash to pay for it. I don't regret having done that. Always felt safer building my finances on solid foundation, rather than a Jenga one. Ha ha. But to each his own, of course.
I definitely agree with that sentiment, it was the way I was raised as well that you don't ever buy what you can't afford cash, and thats the mentality I took with this car, Had to be able to buy it twice before even considering purchasing it once, and working in an unstable industry without a guaranteed income pushed me to that ideology as you never know what can happen.
Old 08-08-2024, 06:49 PM
Biff Neckbrace
4th Gear

Psst…I just turned 70 and have a secret to share. When ever you see an old guy (or gal)in the fast lane going 15 under with their blinkers on it’s because we do it on purpose. Just love to **** you kids off. It’s even more fun when your in your GT4 RS…..
Old 08-08-2024, 07:43 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage

Very interesting analysis. I have used a similar approach to life.
I am now in late 70's and I have lived my life acquiring things that I wanted almost always by leveraging and borrowing the cash to buy whatever it was. I of course am very well educated and have never been unemployed in my life. I have always earned adequate salaries to float my enterprise. A key point in my strategy was to always maintain an active investment presence as well. When I needed a loan for a car, boat, house, whatever, I would borrow most of the funds required and offset the loan with increased investments. So time goes by, you enjoy the car or boat and the equity stake in the car, boat, or house increases. My primary objective was always to enjoy life to the fullest while building a large equity position as I aged and my career advanced. Now, I find myself with a great wife and a beautiful home. She drives a Boxster S and I drive a 4CS and we have two other cars for DD. Along the way we designed and built 3 other beautiful homes as our lives changed. And we are enjoying a great retirement more than adequately funded.
But I will say it took a lot courage and imagination to get where we are.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lady Silver:
G&S997.2 (08-09-2024), Kram71 (08-08-2024), needmoregarage (08-08-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 09:43 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 668 Posts

It would be interesting to understand whether the poll is an accurate reflection of ownership age, or forum-participation age.

Quick Reply: How Old Are You?