Sponsored by:

718 front bumper removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 10:16 AM
dlpike4
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 718 front bumper removal

I need to remove the front bumper cover from my 2019 GTS 2.5. I've watched several videos and have come to find out, they are not accurate. Are there any videos or manuals that are specific to the 2019 GTS with 2.5 and 6 speed manual tranny?
Old 07-11-2024, 02:57 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 60 Posts

I think it's the same bumper as even the new ones. If yes, look for a 3rd radiator install, which requires removing it. So look for companies that sell them; they typically provide installation instructions. Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2024, 04:19 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Not sure what it is about the videos that is off for you--I watched several and the 981 and 987 videos worked for me and my 2022 BGTS when I had to remove both the front and rear bumper skins to retrofit the Porsche Entry and Drive trunk sensors that were omitted at the factory due to parts shortages when mine was built.

A few hints from my experience. While I saw videos of people being able to disconnect the wiring harness by prying back on the fender liner with the wheels on and getting to the connector with a long screw driver, man I had a hard enough time with that connector with the wheels off and the front half of the fender liner removed. I highly recommend removing both wheels and the front half of the fender liners, as it's only a handful of additional torque screws to remove. A cordless drill with a clutch makes fast work of removing the torque screws (I break mine loose by hand, however).

I found Cliff's garages videos to be helpful for me. I didn't need to remove the headlights as he did.

Good Luck
Old 07-12-2024, 06:43 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Hey guys, one question I'm curious about my upcoming '24 Cayman: Will it have both the front and rear sensors for the entry&drive @Paul S had to retrofit? I remember reading that Porsche permanently deleted them after the COVID shortage, but hope that was wrong. Ha ha. But if that's the case, will leave it alone, as I don't feel like removing both bumpers to get that feature back. Oh, and another COVID statistic was losing power steering column (even on my '22 Macan GTS), but at least I was able to add it as an option on my Cayman. But no such luck with the 16.9-gal tank on my 6MT (when it was available before), Sport PASM, and the GT4 short shifter. The last one is an easy-enough option to retrofit, so I'll do that right away.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-12-2024 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2024, 03:39 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
Hey guys, one question I'm curious about my upcoming '24 Cayman: Will it have both the front and rear sensors for the entry&drive @Paul S had to retrofit? I remember reading that Porsche permanently deleted them after the COVID shortage, but hope that was wrong. Ha ha. But if that's the case, will leave it alone, as I don't feel like removing both bumpers to get that feature back. Oh, and another COVID statistic was losing power steering column (even on my '22 Macan GTS), but at least I was able to add it as an option on my Cayman. But no such luck with the 16.9-gal tank on my 6MT (when it was available before), Sport PASM, and the GT4 short shifter. The last one is an easy-enough option to retrofit, so I'll do that right away.
It should have both--they were not permanently deleted. Mine was an early 2022, later in the 2022 model year the entry and drive sensors were back.

Also the fact that the sensors can be purchased today pretty much from any Porsche dealer means there's no parts problem.
Old 07-13-2024, 06:23 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Great news; thank you very much for the info. As a side comment, a hidden button at each end would have been preferable to me, but the sensors are fine (and better than nothing. Ha ha). They worked most of the time on my ex-981. A few times it took quite a bit of tries, probably looking like a fool, but that's part of Porsche ownership. Ha ha. Take care.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-13-2024 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 08:45 AM
dlpike4
Rennlist Member

That's a great idea. Thanks for the help
Old 07-15-2024, 08:49 AM
dlpike4
Rennlist Member

Yes, I've viewed videos. They give me a general idea, since the 718's are a bit different that the earlier models. Apparently, mine is different from most. The front wheel well cover is attached to the bumper in a way that requires the bumper and covers to be removed as one. At least that's what I'm seeing. I'm not giving up!!! LOL
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-15-2024, 11:15 AM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 182 Posts

Gt4 removal should help https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17748616

Quick Reply: 718 front bumper removal