Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about 718 Spyder and GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 03:47 PM
thenewrick
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've thought about that as well. Buying whatever they allocate me so I can just trade it in for a special edition. Obviously would lose a fortune in the exchange but I bet it would get me to the top of the list for special allocations a lot faster than being just some guy off the streets trying to buy his first car. I don't even ask about GT3 cars when I talk to the sales associate. My city might get 1 of those every 5 years or something. Even a GTS 4.0 is probably a big ask. I've considered looking into dealers in other cities but I'm not close enough to the buying process to do that.

My most realistic timeline to buy is in about 2-3 years when my current warranty ends. I'm just biding my time. Saving. Browsing and researching. Hoping demand dies down a bit and dealer markups go away. That's the hope!

Taycan depreciation is scary for sure. I sat in one but it was too small and claustrophobic for me. I can only drive sports cars if they're convertibles. I don't like being in a small dark cave.

Ideally I'd be able to test drive several different cars with different options and I'd be able to narrow down my search. I think the most realistic options for my budget are a GTS 4.0 Boxster and a Carrera S cabriolet. I've shown build sheets to my sales associate and he was confident something would work out. It might take years, it might have a huge dealer markup but they didn't sound like unobtanium for him.

I've also thought about getting a Macan EV or something like that to help get me a sports car allocation.

I'm pretty familiar with this scenario as a Rolex collector. Luckily my Rolex dealer likes me and doesn't make me buy anything to get sports model allocations for whatever I want. But I don't think the Porsche guys like me like that.

Last edited by thenewrick; 04-15-2024 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:32 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 140 Posts

So I was in the same boat, I wanted a top down, manual, rwd, Na 6 Porsche. To me the ultimate iteration of that is the 911 Speedster, and the upcoming 992 speedster will be better then the last I bet. As this is porches best NA engine (the one out of the 3RS) in a no aero, touring focused manual convertible. Now I am also that of sane mind and understand the chances of me getting a 992 Speedster ignoring the fact I can not afford one, are slim to none, airing more on the none side. So instead I was able to order a BGTS 4.0 at MSRP, my final build with getting pretty much every realistic option I want was 113k. If all you care about is the car, skip all the options, you can have one for under 100k, get a set of forged APEX VS5RS'S, look great, forged, light, well priced and you have your rwd manual sports car for around 100k give or take. Now you said you have a budget of 125, in the meantime while you wait for your allocation, take that extra 25 grand and do whatever it takes to make it about 40-50g's, investments, fraud, wtv you have to do, and right a check to a company called DeMan motorsports, they will take your peasant spec 4.0 and make it race car spec 4.5, they will even fix this problematic gearing (which I was also concerned about until I test drove one and found I could not care less) Now for between 130-40k, you have exactly what you just described and if you look hard now, you may still find an allocation at MSRP or minimal markup. Waiting will probably hurt you, there is no other special editions coming, the RS was it, ask any Porsche dealer and they will tell you ,you are holding your breath for nothing. Now if you want to buy used, sure you may get lucky and get one of these for 80-90 grand, but I doubt you will see much of a drop from there as even 981 GTS's with 50k miles transact for only about 20-30k under sticker. I have yet to see a 718 4.0 move for under 80k US and I doubt we will ever see them, even less so if EV rumors are true, then forget about any depreciation, we have seen time and time again that with Porsches they will only go up if something like the removal of NA or ICE happens, look at 997 and 991 market, 997 GTS's are touching 100 grand for nice ones. I would say you are worrying yourself too much with the little details that will stop you from having a chance to actually enjoy one of these amazing cars while you still can.
The following users liked this post:
Xxyion (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 04:56 PM
thenewrick
Intermediate

Sounds like we are in similar shoes. I've heavily modified cars in the past and the Porsche I would want stock and just kept clean and maintained as like a collector item as well. I do really fancy forged wheels so I really hope there's different forged options from factory in the coming years.

If it came down to $130-$135k new allocation with all the options I wanted and dealer markup vs $90k used but not quite the spec I wanted I'd probably have to go used. I think one of the rarer options that I want is the PASM which raises the suspension some and is a little softer than the GTS standard suspension I think. Those are the kind of options I'd have to get more opinions on. I want the highest ride height and most comfortable seats and suspension settings. Like the Dakar 911 would probably be my favorite riding 911 because it's lifted with a softer suspension. Sometimes called Safari style Porsches.

I'll see if I can post a link to a spec out but not sure if it'll work. Takes me a solid 15 minutes+ to build out a Porsche on the website. So many options!

Spec out Boxster 4.0 GTS

Last edited by thenewrick; 04-16-2024 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:05 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by thenewrick
Sounds like we are in similar shoes. I've heavily modified cars in the past and the Porsche I would want stock and just kept clean and maintained as like a collector item as well. I do really fancy forged wheels so I really hope there's different forged options from factory in the coming years.

If it came down to $130-$135k new allocation with all the options I wanted and dealer markup vs $90k used but not quite the spec I wanted I'd probably have to go used. I think one of the rarer options that I want is the PASM which raises the suspension some and is a little softer than the GTS standard suspension I think. Those are the kind of options I'd have to get more opinions on. I want the highest ride height and most comfortable seats and suspension settings. Like the Dakar 911 would probably be my favorite riding 911 because it's lifted with a softer suspension. Sometimes called Safari style Porsches.

Again you said you hope they offer options, there is no hope, there is no maybe well see, fingers crossed etc. it will not happen, in the last 2 years porsche has taken away a considerable amount of the options you used to be able to get on the GTS, interior colors, performance options, exterior colors, trims, etc etc. This is more than likely the last year for this car, as in 2024. if you want any hope of getting one of these new, it is now or never, it'll also be your only chance to find a new one for around 100k, most used ones are optioned up a lot more, and you'll end up paying the same ( within 10-15k) for a used car thats 3+ years old with miles on top of no choice on options or colors. Get the car, do a set of forged wheels from apex, or a set of forged take off 911 wheels, they exist. If you really are in the position to purchase one of these, I think what everyone is trying to tell you is you either do it now, or you don't do it, especially if you are going to be picky about options. Used will always exist but it will never be a $50,000 car. There is no more N/A porsches coming, thats it, you have GT3+ 911's which you said are out of your price range, and chances are will never fall back down into your price range, and the 718 is going EV. Again used is always a good option, a 987 or 981 spyder, or an older 981 GTS can be had for anywhere between 70-90k, same with a 987 spyder.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:20 PM
thenewrick
Intermediate

I'm okay waiting and seeing how things pan out. No stress. If it doesn't happen that's fine too. My instincts tell me EV's aren't going to take over as quickly as people expected and Porsche will continue to make the ICE Boxster for a while longer. I could be wrong and that's fine too. I'm not in a position to buy now though. I'll chat with my SA at the grand opening of the new showroom and talk about logistics and timelines.

I also like V8 Mustang convertibles with a manual. Haven't had a V8 car before either so that would be a new experience. Test drove one and it was pretty thrilling and scary. 500ish hp RWD in a high revving v8 is a handful.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:36 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 925 Likes on 369 Posts

I've read this entire thread and I still have no idea what car OP actually wants other than some imaginary car that will never exist. OP also doesn't understand the push for EVs isn't based on vibes but rather a lot of complicated global regulations. OP seems to think Porsche is building cars based on vibes alone.

Last edited by TXRubicon; 04-16-2024 at 07:41 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by TXRubicon:
Henry I. (04-16-2024), jfpell (04-16-2024), Phillip Berk (04-16-2024), Van914 (04-18-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 11:16 AM
thenewrick
Intermediate

Isn't that the MO of Porsche? Never building the exact car enthusiasts want and always teasing with maybes and should have beens?

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out!

I'd be curious how owners of Boxster GTS 4.0's and Spyders felt about their cars. What options they couldn't live without. What they wish they would have done differently.

I love the look of the Spyder of course but I know it's also less comfortable and practical than a standard Boxster.

I've seen some comparisons between the 911 and the Boxster and many of the reviews say the Boxster is a more fun sports car and the 911 is more of a comfortable grand touring car now. It makes me think I'd be more suited to a 911 as I'm looking for more of a comfortable cruiser. But I love the design, the engine/transmission options, and the price of the Boxster.

Internet test driving at its finest. If I could just walk into the Porsche store and test drive a Spyder RS, a Boxster GTS 4.0, a Targa 4s, a Carrera S Cabriolet, a GT3 Touring, all with a manual transmission of course, this would be so simple!

Last edited by thenewrick; 04-16-2024 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:01 PM
mrclam
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Isn't that the MO of Porsche? Never building the exact car enthusiasts want and always teasing with maybes and should have beens?

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out!

I'd be curious how owners of Boxster GTS 4.0's and Spyders felt about their cars. What options they couldn't live without. What they wish they would have done differently.

I love the look of the Spyder of course but I know it's also less comfortable and practical than a standard Boxster.

I've seen some comparisons between the 911 and the Boxster and many of the reviews say the Boxster is a more fun sports car and the 911 is more of a comfortable grand touring car now. It makes me think I'd be more suited to a 911 as I'm looking for more of a comfortable cruiser. But I love the design, the engine/transmission options, and the price of the Boxster.

Internet test driving at its finest. If I could just walk into the Porsche store and test drive a Spyder RS, a Boxster GTS 4.0, a Targa 4s, a Carrera S Cabriolet, a GT3 Touring, all with a manual transmission of course, this would be so simple!
Some of the problem IS regs. See the EU - they have already stopped selling the 718(and ICE Macan) there due to cybersecurity regs.

The Spyder is more hardcore than the GTS. The Spyder rides lower and has a stiffer suspension. When the GTS is already a low car, every centimeter makes a difference when you want to clear a driveway, and the Spyder doesn't have FAL as an option.

I bought a used Spyder recently and came from a base 718 cayman. As far as options go I'd say that I miss heated seats in a convertible, Bose is great to have, but most everything else is a nice to have. If you care about comfort access, lane change alerts, etc - the GTS is the only way you will get those.

thenewrick (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 04:50 PM
thenewrick
Intermediate

Sounds good. That's what I was thinking as well. Spyders just look so good.

I wonder what the difference is like between PASM and the standard 718 GTS suspension. Other than centimeter ride height difference. I imagine the PASM is softer and has automatic adjustments while GTS is fixed in sport mode?

Last edited by thenewrick; 04-16-2024 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:22 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,549 Likes on 863 Posts

Sounds good. That's what I was thinking as well. Spyders just look so good.

I wonder what the difference is like between PASM and the standard 718 GTS suspension. Other than centimeter ride height difference. I imagine the PASM is softer and has automatic adjustments while GTS is fixed in sport mode?
Both have active suspension. It's mostly ride height and stiffer anti-roll bars for SPASM. The thing that i think ive mentioned in another thread, is people dont understand how incredibly well tuned Porsche suspension is. I currently am daily driving a BMW M4 Competition which for all intents and purposes, is a luxury sedan with 500 hp. I by far prefer my GT4 ride quality over the M4. It's vastly more comfortable even though it's almost a full inch lower and significantly stiffer. Porsche just knows how to tune dampening really really well. Ive never once thought in my GT4, that it was too rough on my back or that i wish it was more comfortable. If anything i wish MORE cars had suspension this good and this compliant. My Veloster N had more harsh suspension and i feel bumps way more in my dad's Grand Cherokee. I also live in California in the Silicon Valley and we are notorious for having some of the worst roads in the US and i had no issues with comfort.

That being said it's all subjective and some people might find a different experience. But i would think everyone can agree that Porsche SPASM is incredibly livable. Ive never seen a single complaint about the comfort of SPASM, more just on how low you are.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:58 PM
thenewrick
Intermediate

I like the idea of lifting a 911 Safari style. Blasphemy I know!

I've never been into the slammed scene. I've broken and bent wheels too so I'm a big fan of tire sidewall and forged wheels. I've also ripped the bumper off my car on a parking curb because my stock car was still too low. 90% of the vehicles around here are trucks are SUVs and it's not low car friendly.

In my experience lower and stiffer doesn't necessarily mean better handling. I think it really is just good engineering and components.

I think I need to test drive a 718 and a 911 back to back and see how they feel in the real world. I also really want to sit in the different seat types. I think I'd prefer the 14 way seats but not sure. I know I don't want the full buckets. And I need my seat to recline with lumbar support. I'm wide so bolstering is a no bueno for me.

I think realistically I'm leaning between a GTS 4.0 Boxster with PASM suspension and a Carrera S Cabriolet.

Is there a certain time of year that Porsche unveils it's upcoming model year changes? I believe the 718 got the Style edition for 2024 but not sure when the 2025 718 and 922's will be unveiled.

Here's my 911 spec out. I posted my Boxster spec out a few replies up.

Spec out Carrera S Cabriolet

Last edited by thenewrick; 04-16-2024 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:31 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,549 Likes on 863 Posts

I like the idea of lifting a 911 Safari style. Blasphemy I know!

I've never been into the slammed scene. I've broken and bent wheels too so I'm a big fan of tire sidewall and forged wheels. I've also ripped the bumper off my car on a parking curb because my stock car was still too low. 90% of the vehicles around here are trucks are SUVs and it's not low car friendly.

In my experience lower and stiffer doesn't necessarily mean better handling. I think it really is just good engineering and components.

I think I need to test drive a 718 and a 911 back to back and see how they feel in the real world. I also really want to sit in the different seat types. I think I'd prefer the 14 way seats but not sure. I know I don't want the full buckets. And I need my seat to recline with lumbar support. I'm wide so bolstering is a no bueno for me.

I think realistically I'm leaning between a GTS 4.0 Boxster with PASM suspension and a Carrera S Cabriolet.

Is there a certain time of year that Porsche unveils it's upcoming model year changes? I believe the 718 got the Style edition for 2024 but not sure when the 2025 718 and 922's will be unveiled.

Here's my 911 spec out. I posted my Boxster spec out a few replies up.

Spec out Carrera S Cabriolet

Well i'd agree with you that JUST lowering a car doesnt mean it will handle better. You have to pair bring lowered with the proper engineering to take advantage of it. Luckily Porsche does this incredibly well.

That being said if you are in an area that is not low car friendly, then PASM will be your friend. Ive never driven a Porsche with it so i cant say for sure if it will be more comfortable or not or if its mostly just to avoid damaging your bumper.

As far as Porsche unveil times, it seems like November is kind of the key month to keep an eye out for. Both the Style Edition and the GT4RS were premiered around that time, but i cant remember off the top of my head when they were announced. I think the Boxster 25 was shown either late December or Early Jan and i think the Spyder RS was premiered middle of 2023.

Definitely recommending test driving if you can. The 911 will be the more comfy car but the Boxster will be the more sports car if that makes any sense. The 911 is no slouch, but it is designed to be a lot more comfortable while a lot of people feel the 718 is more raw and more driver connected.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:03 AM
thenewrick
Intermediate

I was hoping there was some yearly European autoshow where they unveiled all their novelties for the upcoming year.

I really like that 911 spec out but it's $60k more than a Boxster. I love the forged one piece wheels with Aurum accents.

Ingress and egress is a big thing for me and seat comfort. I'm going to have to get in some cars and see how they feel. I know all Porsche sports cars are low and the seats are bolstered so I'm trying to figure out which will be the most comfortable for me.

I'm a classic American now. I want the big comfy couch seat with the big engine.

I spoke with a sales associate some today and they said more or less that the GTS 4.0 is unobtanium but a Carrera S Cabriolet could be allocated within a couple of years most likely. They don't plan to have any 911's on the lot but have a Style edition Boxster so I may go in a couple weeks to check it out. The grand opening for the new showroom is supposed to be in a month or so. I'll try and take some time off work to check it out. The SA sort of convinced me that a 911 would be a better fit for me as well and that the 14 way seats were probably the best option.

The MSRP+fees+markup are still eyewatering though. Realistically a $169k MSRP car will be about $200k out the door. I know inflation yada yada but in my old brain that's Ferrari money for a Carrera S. I need to recalibrate my brain for today's prices.

Last edited by thenewrick; 04-17-2024 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:36 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 914 Posts

I think this thread gave me a headache.

Bottom line, the one thing that checks most of the OP's boxes is the GTS and it is in budget.

To the OP:
You can get a GTS without markup new and there is a lot on the secondary market. Depreciation is minimal so you will not lose an arm and a leg if you decide to trade in for a different car as long as you don't pay ADM.

Any special car will only be allocated to top customers and usually comes with an eye-watering price tag. So, your FOMO is irrelevant unless you are on the short list at your dealer and have half a million to spend--both of which you aren't and don't so it is a non-issue. The final edition of the NA 718 platform is the RS models anyway which are above budget and you would not get an allocation at MSRP anyway so there is nothing to feel like you missed out on.

I recommend you make a short list of potential cars including the Mustang, GTS, 911, Corvette, MX-5, etc. and test drive them all. There are plenty of these cars on the secondary market if you can't find new. $120K is a healthy budget for a sports car. You can even throw in an R8 or other semi-exotics at that price. Narrow down your list and then it will be easier to have a meaningful conversation. Right now it is all over the place. I get that something it is fun to just explore the possibilities and think out loud but that makes it extremely difficult to try to help.
subwoofer (04-19-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 02:46 PM
thenewrick
Intermediate

Living in a small town with extremely limited access to test drives and allocations makes it very hard. I'm not willing to travel a few hours or more to shop around just too busy and don't want to. I don't mind being patient. If it never happens, that's fine too! I'm not in any rush to buy anything. My current warranty ends in a couple of years so that's when I'm thinking about getting more serious about buying something. But if opportunity knocks!

My minimum criteria are manual transmission, convertible and new or within CPO/warranty newish. And budget. I test drove a Mustang and it was pretty sweet. I don't like the way they look or the interior though so that's not really a serious contender for me. Don't fit in Miata.

Porsche is where I'm leaning as I like the quality and unique experience they provide compared to other brands. It's also in that sort of obtainable budget range where a $500k supercar never will be. I honestly don't even want to drive anything over $200k it would just make me nervous. I drive things hard, my dog beats up stuff. I can't have super fancy things.

Last edited by thenewrick; 04-18-2024 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions about 718 Spyder and GTS 4.0