Sponsored by:

My GTS/4 TOURING Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 04:40 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 291 Posts
Default My GTS/4 TOURING Project

So my project officially started yesterday when I dropped off my car to Flat 6 Mortorsports to convert my 2018 Cayman GTS to my GTS/4 TOURING . A little bit of background for this project. I really liked the 718 GT4 except for the rear wing. Maybe I'm just too old to be hip but I am just not a wing guy. I like chicken wings and wings on planes but not so much on my cars. Enter the GT3 Touring! Now I really liked this car. A GT3 without a wing. Very laid back, mildly aggressive without it saying "I am a GT3 Look at My Wing". I liked everything about it except the price, which unfortunately was beyond what I wanted to spend. Well the GT3 Touring was an immediate phenomenon and sold better than Porsche expected. Because of the immediate success of the GT3 Touring, I really expected that Porsche would do the same with the GT4 and make a GT4 Touring. This was something that really appealed to me and I just knew that Porsche would make it happen. I passed on a couple of GT4 allocation offers from my Porsche SA telling him that I was waiting for the GT4 Touring to be announced. Fast forward a couple of years and as you all know, I was completely wrong. Not only was there no GT4 Touring but I also missed my chance to buy a GT4 and learn to live with the wing. A couple of other Rennlist members occasionally mentioned that they thought a GT4 Touring also sounded like a good idea. One of the threads started here by @mr.t0fu https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...roduction.html got me thinking. I have the basic car in my CGTS why don't I just add the GT4 parts to my car and give me the look that I wanted with the color and options of the GTS that I specced. @IL_Pete also on here had the same idea as well. He ordered an new 2023 CGTS to make his version of the GT4 Touring . I owe both @mr.t0fu and @IL_Pete a great deal for all of their help and especially Pete who just jumped into the deep end head first. He guided me to Flat 6 Motorsports for the the GT4 bumper conversion and also to Frog Venom for the the GT4 rear spoiler that works on the GTS raising mechanism. Without these there might not have been a project to start with. @IL_Pete has most of his project completed and can be seen on his thread on the 4.0 GTS section.https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...g-project.html

I bought the parts I needed to begin the project. I ordered the rear spoiler from Frog Venom in Asia. They were very good to work with. Lin was always quick to answer, albeit 12 hours later because of time zones, This was my first time buying something like this from the other side of the world but @IL_Pete helped with answering some my questions after he ordered the spoiler for his car. The spoiler came in quickly after they became available. It seems that @IL_Pete (Pete) while leading the way and also buying the last parts in stock. The spoiler came in packaged very well and came halfway around the world undamaged. I bought two of them from Frog Venom, one for myself and one for another Rennlist member that was also helping me with parts.

Like I said this was the only supplier that made the GT4 spoiler to work on the GTS mechanism. It is really just the top cover of the spoiler and it’s attached from the front edge of the spoiler by six screws. It is also the only one that in primer painted carbon fiber and ready to paint as opposed to being exposed carbon fiber. There are 'C' clips that the screws go into.

I bought the OEM GT4 side scoops to attach to the the side. I will have the GT4 filled in and painted to match along with the rear spoiler. I did put 3M VHB tape on the rear edge of the scoops to help hold them in place. There is/was a very long debate about whether they should be screwed in from the back or just installed as is without screws or tape. I elected to err on the side of caution and add the VHB tape.

Pete located Flat 6 Motorsports in Sanford, FL. where he bought his GT4 bumper kit, also the only one in stock !! I contacted them with a long list of questions and between Jon, the owner, and Billy with sales they answered my questions and were extremely helpful. To the point that I made the decision to let them do the installation of all of the parts. I initially was going to have the scoops and spoiler painted down here in Ft. Lauderdale and do the installation myself and document each part on here to help anyone interested in doing the same to their car. My wife, who did not say a word about me wanting to destroy my perfectly good CGTS, suggested as well that all the parts should be painted by the same place at the same time to make sure that the same brand/type of paint was used on all of the parts. In speaking with Jon at Flat 6 he said that he used a Porsche certified paint shop, Samuel's Auto Body and that he could do the fill in and paint all of the parts. I checked and Samuel’s has a high rating (4.9) and has done a lot of work on P cars. We also discussed that I wanted to use the GT4 splitter support and GT4 impact bar along with their bumper kit. Jon told me that they have a Porsche mechanic on staff that worked for twelve years at Porsche dealership. So the decision was made to let them do everything. So yesterday we drove the 3.5 hours to Sanford and dropped her off and will pick her up when she is done. I will post before and after pictures. I know that there will be some that don't like this idea at all and I understand. But this is something that I wanted to do and thankfully my wife said do what you want without telling me her real opinion ! I will continue to post pictures as this project progresses. Billy who works in sales at Flat 6 is also doing a GT4 bumper conversion on his gray 981 CGTS at the same time. Thanks again to @mr.t0fu (Matt) and @IL_Pete (Pete) for all of their help and support.

Last edited by OldJedi; 10-07-2023 at 09:08 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by OldJedi:
Bossing (10-06-2023), CaymanChris (10-07-2023), mr.t0fu (10-23-2023), nintendo_usa (10-06-2023), spdracerut (10-06-2023), wdr911 (10-06-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

11-16-2023, 08:54 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

So…. did you ever wonder what a GT4 TOURING would look like?? I did, I had an idea in my mind but the outcome is much better. I do realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I am very happy with how it turned out. Flat 6 Motorsports did a fantastic job with their GT4 bumper kit installation. I hope to get some more glamour shots from Flat 6 in the near future. Billy is in the process of putting a GT4 bumper kit on his 981 Boxster. I will post more pictures as I get them. Let me know your thoughts.

Old 10-06-2023, 10:37 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 589 Likes on 398 Posts

I love it! Make the car how you want it. I mean, that's why Porsche makes the options list like one hundred items long, so everyone can individualize. Now you're just going a step further and making something Porsche won't.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:17 AM
CaymanChris
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Awesome post. I have a Gentian Blue GT4 which likely will look similar to your finished product, except of course for the wing. I think you will have a very sporty yet refined looking car when finished.
Are you planning any other mods such as suspension?
Old 10-07-2023, 08:57 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I love it! Make the car how you want it. I mean, that's why Porsche makes the options list like one hundred items long, so everyone can individualize. Now you're just going a step further and making something Porsche won't.
Originally Posted by CaymanChris
Awesome post. I have a Gentian Blue GT4 which likely will look similar to your finished product, except of course for the wing. I think you will have a very sporty yet refined looking car when finished.
Are you planning any other mods such as suspension?
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. I actually took several pictures of GB GT4’s to help me visualize what my Sapphire Blue car would look like with a GT4 bumper. No, not really planning on doing anything to the suspension. She is 99% a street car and I like that she has a little softer ride than the GT4 in normal mode. Pete, is going to make suspension changes to his car but he spends a lot of time on track with his race car and I’m sure that having a better suspension in his street car is more important to him. I am seriously considering doing a tune on the car, maybe next year. This year most of my funds are going towards the external parts, bumper, scoops, spoiler painting and installation. Right now the only upgrade she has is a BMC air filter. When the Michelin’s need replacement I will upgrade to 245’s on the front and 295’s on the rear. I did buy the Burmeister tweeters to go in the dash but I didn’t get a chance to put them in before I took her to Flat 6 Motorsports.

Last edited by OldJedi; 10-07-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:20 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,833 Likes on 915 Posts

Exciting! Looking forward to the results! Slap on a Cobb tune and you'll be faster than Gt4!
Old 10-07-2023, 09:55 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

I really did plan to install the side scoops and spoiler myself and take pictures during the installation to show what tools were needed and how it was done. However, I do believe it is better to have everything painted at the same time with the same paint. I want to utilize the GTS front parking sensors and Jon from Flat 6 said that they would drill the bumper for the sensors. The kit comes with parking sensor holders that attach to the inside of the bumper with tape. They are going to use the same spacing and locations as on the GTS bumper.

I also want to use the GT4 splitter support on the car. It is not part of the bumper kit and I purchased it separately. I really don’t know if it is necessary/needed for a street application but @mr.t0fu (Matt) uses his car mainly on track and noticed that the radiator screens were being pulled away from the bumper at speed. Again I elected to err on the side of caution and use the GT4 splitter support to help the matter. I figured that Porsche designed this part for a reason.

The cable connects to a bracket that is welded onto the GT4 impact bar. The connector at the end of the cable is spring loaded and slips onto the bracket and a nut holds it in place.

The cable can actually be seen right behind the center radiator grill. I never noticed before I researched the splitter support and started looking for it.

I believe that the bracket that the support cable attaches to could be made and welded to a GTS bumper if you have the fabrication and welding skills and save some money. I don’t have the skills or equipment so I bought a GT4 impact bar. It has a weird shape with a vertical tang on top and bottom on either side. Here are pictures with measurements if you want to try to duplicate it yourself.

Everything else is included in the bumper kit. I am hoping to utilize the GTS third radiator and vent through the bottom splash pan like the GTS does. I wish I could be there to take pictures as the installation progresses but I can’t take the time from work and I’m pretty sure that Jon and Billy would have duct taped my mouth shut and put me in a corner after the first hour 😂 . Billy is doing his 981 to GT4 bumper conversion at the same time and hopefully he can send some pictures. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Last edited by OldJedi; 10-07-2023 at 01:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (10-08-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 10:28 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 249 Posts

Excellent project 👍

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:31 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Exciting! Looking forward to the results! Slap on a Cobb tune and you'll be faster than Gt4!
Yes, it’s exciting tearing apart your 100K car to get you something that you hope looks good and still works well when it is done. There are several different tuners for the 2.5T. I have to spend some time researching to find the best solution.

Last edited by OldJedi; 10-07-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Patrick3000 (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 10:37 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Excellent project 👍

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Thanks, great looking RS !
Patrick3000 (10-10-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 11:43 AM
Chuck.Dee
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, my garage floor made the post . @OldJedi if you get stuck hit me up on the 718forum (Chuck.Dee), I will assist you as much as I can. Been waiting on a username change here, but wanted to offer some help.
Old 10-10-2023, 01:18 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck.Dee
Hey, my garage floor made the post . @OldJedi if you get stuck hit me up on the 718forum (Chuck.Dee), I will assist you as much as I can. Been waiting on a username change here, but wanted to offer some help.
Hi 👋🏻 Chuck, yes I stole a bunch of your photos and a lot of information from your 718Forum thread, so thank you very much, the information was incredibly helpful. Unlike you, I am having Flat 6 Motorsports do the work instead of trying to do it myself. I literally just got off the phone with Jon. The bumper, scoops and spoiler are at the paint shop now. The plan is still to utilize the GTS third radiator and vent through the bottom. They are also going to paint the parts seen through the top vent grill black. I have confidence that Flat 6 will do a great job. Thanks again for all of your information and support. If anything comes up I will certainly reach out to you.
Old 10-11-2023, 06:51 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

So….. I got some pictures from the paint shop. Although the rear spoiler looked really good in the box and when I looked at it, it looked different when they put it on the car for a test fit. It is going to need some work to make it look OEM. The choice was to scrap the CF spoiler and just use the GTS spoiler or spend the time and money and to rework this one and make it look right. I chose to make it work and continue with my idea of having a GT4 spoiler on the rear.

Old 10-11-2023, 07:01 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

Wow! I am sorry to see/hear that about the spoiler.

I feel like mine looks pretty OEM:

I will admit that I never inspected it closely with the spoiler up. So I don't even know what it looks like that way. I never put my spoiler up when the car is stationary, ever, so I didn't really think about it.

Now I am afraid to inspect it in the up position!

Last edited by IL_Pete; 10-11-2023 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2023, 07:11 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

^^^^^^ Thanks Pete, yes your Frog Venom spoiler looks OEM and I was hoping for the same paint and install scenario for my FV spoiler. But because yours looks so good I decided to fix mine and keep going with the project. Stuff happens🙃
I looked at them pretty good when they first arrived and didn’t notice or realize the imperfections, I guess I was looking for real damage, cracks or breaks, not so much for pin holes or small imperfections. I thought they were ready for paint and installation.

Last edited by OldJedi; 10-12-2023 at 10:32 AM.
wdr911 (10-11-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 08:57 AM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 623 Likes on 352 Posts

Your car looks great, what color is that?

looking forward to final pics

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram

Quick Reply: My GTS/4 TOURING Project