Sponsored by:

My GTS/4 TOURING Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 08:58 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebsy
No weave but there were a couple of pinholes around the front right edge - nothing the bodyshop were overly concerned about though. They said for peace of mind they'd be sanding it back and re-primering it anyway as at least they know what they are working with so will be interesting to see what they thought of it bare.
I will be curious to hear what they say about it and to see the completed, painted outcome. I hope you like it when it is done.
Old 12-05-2023, 05:26 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

It has been over 30 days since the GT4 front bumper, side scoops and rear spoiler were painted so I took it to Auto Supershield in Boca Raton to have the PPF installed. They are about 35 miles north of me but I have been going to them since 2012 with my ZL1 Camaro. They are the top installer for Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, Mercedes Benz, McLaren and other high end models. With PPF, I have found that the experience of the installer is far more important than the price along with how long the company has been in business. They have an excellent reputation and stand behind their work. ‘Ping’ the shop manager did the work on my car this morning. Here are some observations.

First even though the paint shop filled and sanded the rear spoiler, even after 32 days he pointed out that he could still see some of the CF weave pattern through the paint with the right light and reflection. Ping, said that the primer and paint were drawn into the CF. I am hoping that the PPF helps to smooth it up somewhat. Also with the rear spoiler, if you have PPF installed on it, DO NOT use the GT4 measurements to computer cut the PPF. I had measured a real GT4 rear spoiler and thought that the Frog Venom spoiler was pretty close in size, it is NOT !! The computer cut was an inch short coming from leading edge to bottom of back edge. Side to side was workable.

The front bumper was much better he said and was able to work with the computer cut but it was not a perfect match. The side scoops were OEM and were no problem and matched the computer cut perfectly. Below are some installation pictures.

Car on ramps with side marker lights and headlight sqirters removed

Working on the side scoop

Front bumper PPF

Getting ready to install

Working on the rear spoiler

Front bumper computer cut

A few more days to let the PPF finish setting up and it will be time to put more miles on her. Thankfully here in South Florida I don’t have to put the car away for the winter. I will post some more glamour shots in the near future but this kind of wraps things up for this year. I know that this is not for everyone and I understand that. But it is something that I wanted for myself. Life is too short, do the things in life that make you happy! My GTS/4 TOURING ​​​​​​ is exactly what I wanted.

Next year, bigger two piece brake rotors and maybe a tune. Thanks for staying with me and following me on this ride. Please,,,, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me. Everyone have a safe and wonderful Holiday Season.

Last edited by OldJedi; 12-07-2023 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LooseNut (12-05-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 08:40 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,040 Likes on 1,750 Posts

Guess what showed up today. Pretty fast given the distance. Overall, it looks very good. There's one area that the gap isn't as good as OEM, but I'll have my body shop evaluate when they paint. Also, it doesn't quite fit on as perfectly as OEM, but I think once I install screws that will be ok. Overall, so far, I'm pleased.

OldJedi (12-07-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 11:14 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,452 Likes on 2,233 Posts

Looks like that company did a pretty good job on the transitions and flow of the lines from body to spoiler. Here’s my spyder for comparison, where they join it looks a bit wider on mine, which is maybe why these don’t fit on the Cayman body. Overall thickness at the rear looks similar.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:45 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

^^^^^^. Adam, yours looks a lot better than mine. I don’t see any CF weaving at all on yours plus it looks like they did a much better job painting the primer. Yours has a sheen to it, mine was more of a flat finish. I’m glad you got it. I’m sure that your paint shop will do a great job prepping and painting it. I hope you like it when it is finished.

Here are a few of mine when they arrived to compare with yours:

These were ordered in August

More of a flat finish compared to yours

No Frog Venom logo inside

And I love the cut-away picture of your car on the wall, it looks GREAT !!

Last edited by OldJedi; 12-07-2023 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Looks like that company did a pretty good job on the transitions and flow of the lines from body to spoiler. Here’s my spyder for comparison, where they join it looks a bit wider on mine, which is maybe why these don’t fit on the Cayman body. Overall thickness at the rear looks similar.
The Spyder spoiler will bolt up to the Cayman if using the top and bottom halves. However, the reason why it doesn't "fit" is because the body lines at the sides where the flat transition wraps around the back doesn't match the coupe body lines. As in, it fits and functions but doesn't line up. The gap at the decklid was off as well.

I originally bought a Spyder spoiler but returned it to the dealership at a 20% loss after discovering this.
UncleDude (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 01:53 PM
wdr911
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 59 Posts

Hello Adam,

As my good friend Old Jedi said, the Poster /Picture Diagram of your Cayman looks great. Can you share the source of the Picture? I remember seeing someone that was doing these in the various Cayman / Boxster colors.

Just to share when Steve ordered his Frog Venom rear piece he ordered two of them with the second one for my Cayman S. I have yet to mount it on my car, will be interesting to see how yours turns out after painting and mounting.

please let me know if your installation requires some additional body work / trimming in order for the fit to look good.

Thanks Dave
Old 12-07-2023, 02:55 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

This is where I met Randy to order the cutaway customized graphic, which I then had made into a vinyl flag to hang in my garage. It's GREAT! I bought two more for friends. Great gift too.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18910118

My wing looks very good and I'm not sure it needs much prep at all. The edge seems to leave a big wider gap than OEM, so I'll see if my guy thinks he can fix that or not bother. As for the gap along the hatch, it's pretty good. The OEM gap is pretty wide there too to allow for the hatch movement. I did not screw down the wing yet, I just rested it onto the frame, so it may move a few mm one way or the other. The wing does not come with the nut clips to receive the screws, they will be transferred over from the OEM unit, unless I buy new ones which I just might do as I think about it.

I see the body man tomorrow and will report back.
wdr911 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 05:27 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 037
The Spyder spoiler will bolt up to the Cayman if using the top and bottom halves. However, the reason why it doesn't "fit" is because the body lines at the sides where the flat transition wraps around the back doesn't match the coupe body lines. As in, it fits and functions but doesn't line up. The gap at the decklid was off as well.

I originally bought a Spyder spoiler but returned it to the dealership at a 20% loss after discovering this.
Thanks 037 !! I knew that I had read that somewhere on here but couldn’t find it later when I went looking for it. But I remembered what you had said and didn’t order a Spyder spoiler. So thank you very much for saving me the hassle of buying it and taking it back to the Porsche store. It’s still bewildering to me that Porsche didn’t make the spoiler caps with the same mounting and save money on tooling. Instead there’s a different spoiler for the Base to GTS Cayman, Base to GTS Boxster, GT4, Spyder, GT4RS and Spyder RS.

Last edited by OldJedi; 12-07-2023 at 05:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldJedi:
UncleDude (12-07-2023), wdr911 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 06:04 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
The wing does not come with the nut clips to receive the screws, they will be transferred over from the OEM unit, unless I buy new ones which I just might do as I think about it. .
Rather than take the C Clips off of the OEM spoiler and transfer them to the FV spoiler, I just bought new ones and since I was buying the six C Clips I just bought six new screws too. They are not very much money.

6 - Speed Nuts - 999-507-785-01
6 - Round Head Screws - N-909-868-03

About $8.50 for all
AdamIsAdam (12-07-2023), FazedChicken (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 06:09 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Rather than take the C Clips off of the OEM spoiler and transfer them to the FV spoiler, I just bought new ones and since I was buying the six C Clips I just bought six new screws too. They are not very much money.

6 - Speed Nuts - 999-507-785-01
6 - Round Head Screws - N-909-868-03

About $8.50 for all
THANK YOU! I was just emailing with my local parts dept. I'm sure this will help him find the right items. Good idea about the extra screws too. Why not?
Old 12-07-2023, 10:01 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
THANK YOU! I was just emailing with my local parts dept. I'm sure this will help him find the right items. Good idea about the extra screws too. Why not?
Glad that I could help, I certainly received a lot of help from others on Rennlist for this project and general Porsche information.
AdamIsAdam (12-07-2023), wdr911 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 12:49 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

True to form, much like bringing your car to the mechanic to listen to a strange noise that disappears when you get there, well, that happened this morning at the body shop. I got there, showed them the OEM part and then swapped on the new wing to determine how much work it would need. Wouldn't you know it, the gaps were perfect! And it went on much easier, so clearly it seated better today. I'm very happy! Paint gets applied next week. NOW I'M REALLY EXCITED TO SEE IT!👍😎

And this...

(Amazing to think that these two colors are the same car! Shark Blue is a crazy color to capture.)

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 12-08-2023 at 04:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
IL_Pete (12-12-2023), LooseNut (12-08-2023), UncleDude (12-09-2023), wdr911 (12-09-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 01:55 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Can't wait to see it on your shark blue car since that's what I have! Looking forward to the painted pics (can you please take some with the spoiler extended up as well).
The following 2 users liked this post by FazedChicken:
AdamIsAdam (12-08-2023), wdr911 (12-09-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 06:52 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Adam, the gaps look great !! I’m glad that it looks like Frog Venom is doing a much better job prepping and primer painting the spoiler. I’m sure that it will look good.
UncleDude (12-09-2023)

Quick Reply: My GTS/4 TOURING Project