718 gts ordering

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 05:51 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 718 gts ordering

Hello guys .
I owned a 2018 Boxster gts that I traded in for a 2013 9114s cab with PDcc and PSE . I test drove various flavors of 911, from 991.1 , 991.2 and all the way to 992 gts( 992 was the most comfortable suspension and adaptive sports seats wise but losing that sports car feel ) . I enjoy great handling , good sound and top down when in the mood. I finally got the 991.1 911 because I liked the way it drove , PSE engine sound inside cabin just right and not as loud as 981 , flat cornering with PDcc and excellent wind management with top down but my heart is with mid engine Boxster . I owned a 981 Boxster s and then a 718 bgts before my current 911 . I didnt mind the 718 Bgts sound , actually liked the bassy sound over the too loud and shrill sound of 981 PSE . I now want to get back to 718 gts as overall I prefer it over a 911 and IMHO 911 is nice but overpriced

can anyone who moved from 718 gts to 718 gts 4.0 elaborate on their experience , the plus and minus as I am thinking of placing an order for a bgts 4.0 as I may not find a 718 bgts with all the must have options including color combo I like in the pre-owned market . Also are there any minor discounts on ordered 718 bgts 4.0 that customers can expect nowadays ?

btw, I had gts interior package in the 718 bgts including alcantara steering wheel and have full leather in 911 and I prefer all leather

Last edited by casaforte9; 11-30-2022 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:37 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

The gts 4.0 is a flat 6 so not sure why it is called a 718. The big difference I see on paper is that the gts 4.0 is heavier then the older gts. 4.0l will really pull nicely and have a higher red line, it will also have a much different exhaust note.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:54 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Since you’ve had experience with both the 3.4 and 3.8 NA flat sixes and 718 GTS turbo four it seems like you’re well versed on the differences.

The 4.0 has a lot more grunt than the 3.4 and some better breathing up top than the 3.8.

Most complain about the 4.0 sound and desire the 981 “shriek”…since you noted otherwise should be fine for you.

Discounts, no. If you have a good dealer relationship maybe MSRP. Most report $5-10K ADM on GTS. Higher in some east/west coast locations. May even be hard to find an allocation.

It’s a great platform, you won’t be disappointed based on your preferences and experiences noted in OP. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2022, 07:36 PM
MillieDad
AutoX

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I just purchased a barely-used '21 CGTS 4.0 with 6-spd. The original owner traded it for a similar model with PDK. I had known of this planned trade for over 6 months and was starting to doubt that it would ever happen or that I would get the chance to buy the 6spd. For a few months at the end of that wait, the dealer had a '18 (or '19) 2.5L GTS that was in excellent condition. But I just wasn't interested in the 4-cyl, despite its much lower price and my impatience regarding the 2021 car.

Excluding 2 Cayennes, this is my 5th Porsche sports car and they've all had a NA flat six. This 4.0 has that traditional sound and then some; I love it. I've driven '22 Carrera GTS's at the PTX and I'm impressed with the twin-turbo flat sixes; these new engines blend the best of the old with the advantages of the new quite well. But the 4-cyl just wasn't appealing to me.

My CGTS was certified with less than 1200 miles; the asking price was ~$5K below MSRP. It had more options than my preferred build but none of the options were bothersome. Specifically:
  1. I really like the black leather interior package; it is very nice and tasteful. I don't care for either the look or feel of alcantara.
  2. The car is carmine red. I like the color but would have gone with carrera white to save $2K.
  3. The prior owner ordered deviated stitching in caulk. I think it looks really good, but I might have been too cheap to spend the $2.4K.
  4. I'm not sure that I would have opted for the 18-way seats with memory pkge but I like the seats and the memory pkg addresses functions beyond the seats. The seats are relatively firm; I would not want the full buckets.
  5. My car has the Premium Package which was $3600 and included the LED w/ PDLS+. For a new build, the Premium Package excludes the headlight option. PDLS LED's without the "+" are a standalone option which I would probably get a la carte with Entry & Drive and Lane Change Assist.
  6. I really appreciate the PDK on the track and wouldn't have refused the car if it was PDK. But I really am glad this Cayman has the 6spd manual; I prefer it overall.
  7. The prior owner opted for the regular PASM option (-0- cost) that raises the car 10mm versus the Sport PASM, and has softer anti-roll bars. I'm happy with that selection.
Good luck with your decision and your search.
The following users liked this post:
doug751 (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 09:46 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Thx guys, if I find a preowned that I like I am fine with getting a gts 2.5, as for me the sound of all the porshaas I had where fine as long as it came with PSE. The only Porsche car that wowed me with sound was the 992 gt3 car, omg that 992 gt3 was howling like an exotic and the pdk in that gt3 was so fast and nice fast shifts but that is not. a car for me practically speaking and even money wise

I will try and find dealers who can find an allocation at MSRP .

Old 12-01-2022, 08:46 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 460 Posts

Like you, I never had a problem with the 2.5. It has the missing low end the 981 is missing. I had been looking at 981 and 718 GTSs a couple years ago and was fortunate enough to find one of each at two local Porsche dealers. The immediate thing I noticed with the 981 was that in normal driving, it wasn’t very powerful or stirring. It wasn’t until I started hitting the mid to upper RPMs that I realized where the power was. I was a bit disappointed since it didn’t seem realistic to drive around at 4500+ RPM all the time.

I really liked the drive of the 2.5GTS and it had the low down power missing on the 981. It drove great and was good sounding on its own. I ultimately passed since there was a pretty big price difference in the two cars and felt d rather pay 911 money for a 911. I was also concerned about depreciation since everyone complained about being four cylinder at the price point Porsche was asking.

The 4.0 solves all those issues. You get good sound even in lower RPMs, you don’t have to rev out the motor to feel robust acceleration and flat six is what people expect in these cars. It now reminds me more of the 991.1S but in a lighter, better handling package.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:20 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 641 Posts

I just traded in a 718 GTS 2.5T for a 718 GTS 4.0 a couple weeks ago.

I think that soon, if not right now, the 2.5T GTS will be one of the best values in the sports car/enthusiast world. That comes from my experience in taking a MASSIVE hit on what I paid for my 718 back in March and what I got for a trade in after putting about 5k miles on it...

As for impressions, the chassis is exactly the same so the bar is already set at EXCELLENT. The GTS in particular with the sport chrono incl. dynamic drivetrain mounts, PTV, SPASM, etc., it just doesn't get much better as a road car/part-time track car. In my opinion a substantial chassis upgrade over the 981, and I had a 981 GTS with the X73 fixed sports suspension- which was great. The 718 with all the chassis improvements nears perfection.

The engine- is it worth the $40k or so it ultimately cost me to upgrade? In my opinion, yes. It's not faster thatn the 2.5, nor would it have the same tuning potential, so if power/speed is your thing, go with the 2.5. If the "experience" is what you're after, the 4.0 delivers. It's been discussed ad nauseum on these boards, but the best way for me to describe it is the 4.0 adds a truly exotic character to the car. It makes the car really special. It still has all the refinement and "luxury" we've all gotten used to with these Porsche sports cars, but it adds an element of old-school excitement. I feel giddy every time the intake noise floods the cabin in sport mode; maybe that's due to the "artificial" action of the soundaktor, but it doesn't matter to me. It's sublime, and FAR better than even the 981 in that regard. The drivetrain overall is much smoother and the PDK tuning seems improved to me as well. It's just an event every time I'm behind the wheel, even in regular traffic. I absolutely love this car.

I loved the 2.5 GTS as well, but this one is on a different level.

I like the color too- can't get one in this color as a 2.5

The following users liked this post:
c1pher (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:04 AM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 355 Likes on 165 Posts

To the OP, if you sentence about wanting a leather interior (not Race Tex / GTS package), you should pursue an order.

From the too many hours I spent searching GTS cars, my guess is it has to be 80-85% of GTS models that end up with the Race Tex interior.

Part 2, I am on a similar path that @manifold danger pursued. I actually LOVED the 2.5 motor...but realized the window for ICE cars is closing and traded my CS (and lost money for the short experience) for a CGTS 4.0 order (with a chalk leather interior).

Enjoy the process.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:19 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I just traded in a 718 GTS 2.5T for a 718 GTS 4.0 a couple weeks ago.

I think that soon, if not right now, the 2.5T GTS will be one of the best values in the sports car/enthusiast world. That comes from my experience in taking a MASSIVE hit on what I paid for my 718 back in March and what I got for a trade in after putting about 5k miles on it...

As for impressions, the chassis is exactly the same so the bar is already set at EXCELLENT. The GTS in particular with the sport chrono incl. dynamic drivetrain mounts, PTV, SPASM, etc., it just doesn't get much better as a road car/part-time track car. In my opinion a substantial chassis upgrade over the 981, and I had a 981 GTS with the X73 fixed sports suspension- which was great. The 718 with all the chassis improvements nears perfection.

The engine- is it worth the $40k or so it ultimately cost me to upgrade? In my opinion, yes. It's not faster thatn the 2.5, nor would it have the same tuning potential, so if power/speed is your thing, go with the 2.5. If the "experience" is what you're after, the 4.0 delivers. It's been discussed ad nauseum on these boards, but the best way for me to describe it is the 4.0 adds a truly exotic character to the car. It makes the car really special. It still has all the refinement and "luxury" we've all gotten used to with these Porsche sports cars, but it adds an element of old-school excitement. I feel giddy every time the intake noise floods the cabin in sport mode; maybe that's due to the "artificial" action of the soundaktor, but it doesn't matter to me. It's sublime, and FAR better than even the 981 in that regard. The drivetrain overall is much smoother and the PDK tuning seems improved to me as well. It's just an event every time I'm behind the wheel, even in regular traffic. I absolutely love this car.

I loved the 2.5 GTS as well, but this one is on a different level.

I like the color too- can't get one in this color as a 2.5

This is my assessment as well. You just need clear front indicators. As for tuning, getting another 50-60 HP just on a tune isn't so bad for the 4.0.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:52 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
This is my assessment as well. You just need clear front indicators. As for tuning, getting another 50-60 HP just on a tune isn't so bad for the 4.0.
I really can't see that happening on a NA engine.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:40 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I really can't see that happening on a NA engine.
Just peruse the forum. There are 3-4 tuners doing just that, no other mods.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:24 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Lol, yes I do! My wife just told me as much last night.

My plans right now do not include a tune, I do think the car has plenty of power for my needs as is. I will slap on an exhaust at some point, probably Kline. But it doesn't "need" it so I'm not in a hurry.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:11 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Where are you in the mid-atlantic? I am in NoVA.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:24 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Where are you in the mid-atlantic? I am in NoVA.
Maryland, so not far at all.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:01 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Maryland, so not far at all.
I used to live in the 1 and 32 area between Ft. Meade and Columbia.

Quick Reply: 718 gts ordering