Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 gts ordering

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 12:35 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 597 Likes on 292 Posts

We currently are blessed to have a 2018 CGTS 2.5 and a 2022 Boxster 25 4.0. Both cars are wonderful in their own way. We started our Porsche journey in 2017 with a base 718 Boxster. We both test drove 981’s but we liked the low end torque of the 718 much better. It was our first Porsche so the sound of the turbocharged model was not significant to us. Her base Boxster impressed me so much that I sold my 67 Corvette and bought the 2018 CGTS.

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with Porsche because they made it sound that the four cylinder turbo models were the future of all 718’s. The 4.0 GTS model 718 introduced in 2020 made me feel like I had been duped. The price of the GTS 2.5 fell drastically and I would have taken a big hit trading a 2.5 GTS for a 4.0 GTS without a significant difference in performance or handling between the two. However, trading her base Boxster 2.0 for a 4.0 model made a lot more sense. We got almost what we paid for the base Boxster trading it for the Boxster 25.

The torque of 4.0 is close to the 2.5T and more than the 2.0T. Now that we have a NA flat six, I understand the difference in the sound between the NA 6 cylinder and the turbo four. It is just a much smoother sounding engine. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 4.0 easily got 30+ MPG on road trips where my 2.5 gets there reluctantly. I still would not trade my 2.5 GTS for a new 4.0 GTS primarily because of price difference and not being able to get Sapphire Blue again plus a couple of other options. However, if it was totaled in an accident, I would get a GTS 4.0 to replace it. Best of luck with your search.

Last edited by OldJedi; 12-02-2022 at 08:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldJedi:
Bearrun21 (12-02-2022), manifold danger (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 07:44 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
We currently are blessed to have a 2018 CGTS 2.5 and a 2022 Boxster 25 4.0. Both cars are wonderful in their own way. We started our Porsche journey in 2017 with a base 718 Boxster. We both drive 981’s but we liked the low end torque of the 718 much better. It was our first Porsche so the sound of the turbocharged model was not significant to us. Her base Boxster impressed me so much that I sold my 67 Corvette and bought the 2018 CGTS.

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with Porsche because they made it sound that the four cylinder turbo models were the future of all 718’s. The 4.0 GTS model 718 introduced in 2020 made me feel like I had been duped. The price of the GTS 2.5 fell drastically and I would have taken a big hit trading a 2.5 GTS for a 4.0 GTS without a significant difference in performance or handling between the two. However, trading her base Boxster 2.0 for a 4.0 model made a lot more sense. We got almost what we paid for the base Boxster trading it for the Boxster 25.

The torque of 4.0 is close to the 2.5T and more than the 2.0T. Now that we have a NA flat six, I understand the difference in the sound between the NA 6 cylinder and the turbo four. It is just a much smoother sounding engine. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 4.0 easily got 30+ MPG on road trips where my 2.5 gets there reluctantly. I still would not trade my 2.5 GTS for a new 4.0 GTS primarily because of price difference and not being able to get Sapphire Blue again plus a couple of other options. However, if it was totaled in an accident, I would get a GTS 4.0 to replace it. Best of luck with your search.

Great post, and I love the spec of that 25 year! I really like the color and design of the wheels on the 25 year, and personally black would be my pick of the colors offered (for those not aware, it's only offered in black, white, and GT silver).

As I mentioned earlier, the problem the 2.5 GTS had when it was released was that it cost too much. Easily configured over six figures, it was just too much for Porsche to ask for a 4 cylinder. It's unfortunate for those who jumped on the GTS early, as you mention it was a near instantaneous depreciation hit as soon as the 4.0 was announced. But for those currently looking, the GTS 2.5 sits in a pretty favorable position, coming in at at least $20-30k less than a 4.0 for virtually the same driving experience.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:36 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 597 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Great post, and I love the spec of that 25 year! I really like the color and design of the wheels on the 25 year, and personally black would be my pick of the colors offered (for those not aware, it's only offered in black, white, and GT silver).

As I mentioned earlier, the problem the 2.5 GTS had when it was released was that it cost too much. Easily configured over six figures, it was just too much for Porsche to ask for a 4 cylinder. It's unfortunate for those who jumped on the GTS early, as you mention it was a near instantaneous depreciation hit as soon as the 4.0 was announced. But for those currently looking, the GTS 2.5 sits in a pretty favorable position, coming in at at least $20-30k less than a 4.0 for virtually the same driving experience.
Thank You. My wife speced this car herself and just loves the car. Black is a little harder to keep clean but we both liked it better than the white and silver with the gold accents. The 4.0 engine in the GTS really came as a big surprise to me. In hind sight maybe I should have realized that it would have to be used in more than just the GT4 and Spyder. I did jump as soon as the 2018 GTS was announced because I really liked how much fun her base Boxster was to drive around. Its only downside was its financial depreciation. It is still a lot of fun to drive around and always puts a smile on my face. But… it is nice having a 4.0 Boxster in the garage as well.

Last edited by OldJedi; 12-02-2022 at 08:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
c1pher (12-02-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 12:13 AM
911usmc
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Since you’ve had experience with both the 3.4 and 3.8 NA flat sixes and 718 GTS turbo four it seems like you’re well versed on the differences.

The 4.0 has a lot more grunt than the 3.4 and some better breathing up top than the 3.8.

Most complain about the 4.0 sound and desire the 981 “shriek”…since you noted otherwise should be fine for you.

Discounts, no. If you have a good dealer relationship maybe MSRP. Most report $5-10K ADM on GTS. Higher in some east/west coast locations. May even be hard to find an allocation.

It’s a great platform, you won’t be disappointed based on your preferences and experiences noted in OP. Good luck!
For information only. Here in Arizona, dealers are no longer doing ADM on their Porsches. Porsche of Tucson is doing ADM on select models, but Porsche Chandler and Porsche Scottsdale are not. Scottsdale does have a catch though. They won’t sell you any new Porsche unless you have a trade vehicle and one they want.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:11 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by 911usmc
For information only. Here in Arizona, dealers are no longer doing ADM on their Porsches. Porsche of Tucson is doing ADM on select models, but Porsche Chandler and Porsche Scottsdale are not. Scottsdale does have a catch though. They won’t sell you any new Porsche unless you have a trade vehicle and one they want.
So just another way to get the ADM.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:17 AM
911usmc
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
So just another way to get the ADM.
not exactly but definitely a money making scheme at the expense of whomever foolishly trades in their car.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911usmc:
c1pher (12-03-2022), sonicworld (12-09-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 01:33 AM
axoo
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

A number of dealers in NY are also no longer doing ADMs for 718s GTS 4.0.

Quick Reply: 718 gts ordering