Sponsored by:

CTEK another good neg. connection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 03:49 AM
aus
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bcgreen
You can, but as I have discovered, if you lose power then you need to reset it, whereas if it's connected to the battery it resets itself with no human intervention.
That is annoying!
Thanks for the tip on the smoker's package outlet working too!
Old 02-06-2022, 11:53 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 546 Posts

I have not tried the smoker's package connection.I can definitely state that the passenger footwell does not work. See the associated nearby thread I started yesterday. I just went to battery (pos) and negative post setup this morning. Not difficult at all and certainly worth the two minutes it takes for prolonged downtime.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:07 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
I have not tried the smoker's package connection.I can definitely state that the passenger footwell does not work. See the associated nearby thread I started yesterday. I just went to battery (pos) and negative post setup this morning. Not difficult at all and certainly worth the two minutes it takes for prolonged downtime.
the passenger footwell charges on my 2022 718 Spyder
Old 02-07-2022, 02:50 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 546 Posts

Not doubting you; This is what I did for the last year and a half. However, this month was the first time ever I hadn't driven the car for greater than 4 weeks and the footwell failed me. Everything on the charger looked OK - indicated fully charged - but I got all the warnings after driving less than a mile. In any event, hooking to the battery and negative post is so simple that I will do this going forward to eliminate any doubt.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:52 AM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 121 Posts

From F90 Forum. Now that's a nice installation for the connector and has LED's. This was for the Li-Ion version of the CTEC which I might get also for my M5.

Mike

Old 02-13-2022, 01:40 PM
gurneyeagle
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Unstock
the passenger footwell charges on my 2022 718 Spyder
Quick question - do you lock the car after hooking up the charger? Seems to be some back and forth on that as well. Some folks say by locking the car, that plug will stay "hot" and not time out.

I've got to say for something that really should be pretty easy, there is a lot of disagreement on how to connect the charger. I've just gone through five pages of Google searches on the subject and am still confused!

My Cayman S is scheduled for delivery in mid-March, and I would like to have my CTEK charger and whatever accessories needed before bringing it home.

Everyone's insight is most appreciated!
Old 02-13-2022, 03:08 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

^^^^ I have a 2021 Spyder with Smoking Package.

I simply plug the CTEK charger into the smoking package and shut the door on the cable.

I don’t lock the car. Works the same even days later without a key. Never not worked.

I’ve never had a home power failure while charging so can’t comment on that circumstance.

There was a long thread in here just a month or so ago.
The following users liked this post:
gurneyeagle (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 04:15 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

On my Macan you have to lock the car for CTEK to work. Once power goes out you need to reset the CTEK and unlock and relock the car. If it is connected to the battery you don't need to reset.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:28 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Originally Posted by bcgreen
On my Macan you have to lock the car for CTEK to work. Once power goes out you need to reset the CTEK and unlock and relock the car. If it is connected to the battery you don't need to reset.
But what do you do on your 718?

Macan has a different PCM. Just like 992 charging procedure different still.

Quick Reply: CTEK another good neg. connection?