Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 Cayman Seatbelt Rewebbing

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2022 | 02:10 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
DONE! And... well... THAT WAS EASY! ...Bam!
Fantastic! That looks great. The photos are a nice addition.
And thanks for helping me improve out the instructions I had originally posted. I'd hate to have anyone else having to Super Glue tabs
The following users liked this post:
AdamIsAdam (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022 | 02:27 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I'm debating removing the white labels. They look bad in the pics! Wait... ah, that's better. LOL

Old 02-07-2022 | 11:27 PM
aus
Instructor

Looks SICK.
I need to do so this and it's way cheaper than buying new belts through Suncoast.

Do you think it's possible to do without removing the seats if they don't fold forward? ie bucket seats?
Thanks to OP and anyone who contributed to this thread!!
Old 02-07-2022 | 11:35 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

Moving the seat backs forward just makes it easier, but as long as you can get a wrench on that lower bolt you should be just fine (ideally using a torque wrench when tightening - you'll want to use a low range torque wrench capable of triggering at 37 ft/lb). Also FYI, so far I've been unable to find the OEM belts available in Shark Blue anywhere, even after messaging Suncoast asking about them. This is about 3x cheaper in any case.

I assume you can move the seats up on the rail enough to do this but I'll ask those with buckets to confirm that.

Last edited by StormRune; 02-07-2022 at 11:39 PM.
aus (02-08-2022)
Old 02-07-2022 | 11:53 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

On my standard seats the track is certainly long enough to be able to get in there without folding them forward.
aus (02-08-2022)
Old 03-05-2022 | 07:00 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Update: I cut out the white labels. I just cut them as close to the stitching as possible and didn't go insane trying to get every last bit of white out from under the stitching and it looks totally fine - no longer noticeable at all.

And for the first time I had a passenger in the car. Looking over at them with the blue belts on is AWESOME! It really looks great. if you are on the fence about this, DO IT!
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
Schwarz992C4S (07-08-2022), StormRune (03-06-2022)
Old 12-28-2022 | 12:50 PM
JodehFoster

Digging this back up. Thanks @StormRune for putting this together and all the tips from @AdamIsAdam as well. Both of your cars are stunning.

I'm waiting on samples and will probably tackle this soon.

Question for Adam, how cold was it when you pulled the interior panels (I see you mentioned January)? I'm in NE Ohio, and after this past week of zero temps, I'm concerned with cracking plastic or tabs getting broken much easier than in warmer temps...what do you think?

~Karri
Old 12-28-2022 | 01:10 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JodehFoster
Digging this back up. Thanks @StormRune for putting this together and all the tips from @AdamIsAdam as well. Both of your cars are stunning.

I'm waiting on samples and will probably tackle this soon.

Question for Adam, how cold was it when you pulled the interior panels (I see you mentioned January)? I'm in NE Ohio, and after this past week of zero temps, I'm concerned with cracking plastic or tabs getting broken much easier than in warmer temps...what do you think?

~Karri
I'm in NY. It was cold. My garage is off the kitchen, so when I work, I leave the door open and the garage is generally about 50-60*. I didn't even think about it. If you really wanted to, I guess you could CAREFULLY put a portable heater inside or near the car before you start taking things apart. Or you could use a hair dryer for just a few minutes on each panel before pulling them off. If you are working in a 30* garage, yea, maybe you'll have problems, but I suspect you will not tackle the job in those temps. It does take time just because of all the pieces that need to come out.
Old 12-28-2022 | 02:37 PM
JodehFoster

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I'm in NY. It was cold. My garage is off the kitchen, so when I work, I leave the door open and the garage is generally about 50-60*. I didn't even think about it. If you really wanted to, I guess you could CAREFULLY put a portable heater inside or near the car before you start taking things apart. Or you could use a hair dryer for just a few minutes on each panel before pulling them off. If you are working in a 30* garage, yea, maybe you'll have problems, but I suspect you will not tackle the job in those temps. It does take time just because of all the pieces that need to come out.

That's a great way to warm up your space. My only option would be a portable heater at this point. I think I'm just going to practice some patience and wait for mild weather. Thanks again!
Old 12-28-2022 | 02:42 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

If you have an unheated, detached garage, then yea, it's gonna be cold out there. But I think anything 50* or better and you're fine. As I said, you could always warm each panel just a bit before removing.
JodehFoster (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022 | 04:14 PM
lsturbointeg
Intermediate

i'm here in Ohio too and i'll be finally tackling this project here in January! I'll be doing mine in my garage even tho i don't have a heater. i've already taken things apart when i did my roll cage so i kinda know where all the tabs are. just be careful and don't just yank things
Old 12-28-2022 | 04:51 PM
JodehFoster

Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
i'm here in Ohio too and i'll be finally tackling this project here in January! I'll be doing mine in my garage even tho i don't have a heater. i've already taken things apart when i did my roll cage so i kinda know where all the tabs are. just be careful and don't just yank things

I was wondering if you had done yours yet too. What's sad is I have my father's (retired) heated body shop at my disposal BUT already have the car on stands in my detached garage at home, while the calipers are off getting refinished/restored.

It's supposed to be in the 50s this weekend, but I don't have the samples to decide on yet...before I start pulling things apart.
Old 12-28-2022 | 11:26 PM
Phil T
Rennlist Member

Since this thread has resurfaced, I see I never posted pictures.....Phil

The following 3 users liked this post by Phil T:
AdamIsAdam (12-29-2022), JodehFoster (12-29-2022), StormRune (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022 | 03:53 PM
JodehFoster

I was satisfied with the belt samples I received yesterday, and it being in the 60s here today…I bit the bullet. Took about 15 min to get the panels out, taking my time. Again, fantastic write-up.
The socket to remove the pre-tensioner bolt will be here Tuesday & then they will be sent off to get rewebbed.
I’m kind of excited

The following 2 users liked this post by JodehFoster:
AdamIsAdam (12-30-2022), StormRune (12-30-2022)
Old 01-09-2023 | 11:44 PM
JodehFoster

Belts are in, something a little different…tan plaid (Burberry-ish). I’ll re-install the panels once it warms up again. I bolted in the pre-tensioners and plugged the harness back in so I can hook the battery back up.

Thanks again for this how-to!

The following 2 users liked this post by JodehFoster:
AdamIsAdam (01-10-2023), StormRune (01-10-2023)

Quick Reply: 718 Cayman Seatbelt Rewebbing