Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone Guard in front of rear wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 04:22 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Stone Guard in front of rear wheel ?

Seeing some recent comments about choosing not to PPF is making me re-think about PPF'ing the entire lower body side panel....Has anyone installed this stone guard (from Suncoast) instead ? Please post some pics. Thanks

Last edited by lowbee; 01-11-2022 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:38 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

I must have missed things, what is the hesitation on PPF on the whole rocker? I don't think this pad stops enough of the rash that occurs in that region. I think you will get rash at the back of the front wheel which is can be addressed separately, but this rear pad misses a lot of the bottom and rear edge that are high risk. I would want coverage below this pad and to the right of it all the way to the edge.

I suspect they use 3m material, I have their rear fender edge material on the rear bumper of my car, it's sufficient if not fully PPFing the rear bumper. I did the full front bumper, hood, mirrors, fenders and full rockers on my GT4, and wouldn't do an inch less if doing it again.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/MUDGUARD.html

Last edited by Josh_357; 01-11-2022 at 06:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VIDoug (01-16-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 06:49 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 124 Posts

I have a set from Suncoast if you want to buy them at half price.

I traded the car in few months ago and never installed them.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:52 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh_357
I must have missed things, what is the hesitation on PPF......
See https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17898784

...I think you will get rash at the back of the front wheel.......but this rear pad misses a lot of the bottom and rear edge that are high risk. I would want coverage below this pad and to the right of it all the way to the edge.
That was my original plan and I think you are right so I am back to doing the whole rocker

........I have their rear fender edge material on the rear bumper of my car, it's sufficient if not fully PPFing the rear bumper......

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/MUDGUARD.html
I didn't see this one, I like it. Does this wrap around the lip ?

Last edited by lowbee; 01-11-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Chris Danusiar (05-23-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 07:00 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
See https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17898784

That was my original plan and I think you are right so I am back to doing the whole rocker

I didn't see this one, I like it. Does this wrap around the lip ?
Interesting, I don't have massive PPF experience, but so far I find good PPF done by a very good installer to be invisible and easier to have redone on a panel if the material tears. I think if a rock hit's hard enough to pierce the PPF, it's a big chip to unprotected paint. I would rather redo PPF and not respray a panel. Then again that's my opinion, you know what they say about those.

The mud guard does wrap, I put that kit on ASAP until I got mine into full PPF. I think the rear is a decent fit, the bottom is always a pain.
martopoulos (07-09-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 07:29 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 897 Likes on 550 Posts

My opinion is that person's logic is deeply flawed. Paint is only original once. Getting one panel to match the others in a respray especially once the paint ages is very difficult and can result in having to respray the entire car which leads to inevitable overspray, contamination flaws, removing parts, etc. not to mention a large potential drop in value at a whole lot of money to repsray correctly. When it comes to Porsches, especially GT cars, many new buyers get obsessed with paint meter readings. I think a lot of people who have this anti-PPF attitude are old school guys who's only experience with PPF has been with the older kit stuff from like 10-15 years ago installed by lousy installers and have not actually seen a modern PPF installation done by a skilled installer. Now I get not wanting to spend the money to PPF an entire car so hence why the compromise of doing the high impact areas exists. I hated PPF when it first came out too as the seams and gaps all looked awful and then it would yellow or peel as it aged. That's not the case anymore as a quality installer will make a PPF installation nearly invisible. If you have the dealer sub out to their cheapest vendor, then yeah, it will still look like crap.

Last edited by rasetsu; 01-11-2022 at 08:34 PM.
martopoulos (07-09-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 07:40 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by 991Targa4S
I have a set from Suncoast if you want to buy them at half price.

I traded the car in few months ago and never installed them.

For which models?
Old 01-11-2022, 08:22 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I read in another forum, maybe 992, about people applying this over their PPF for extra protection.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:26 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
My opinion is that person's logic is deeply flawed. Paint is only original once. Getting one panel to match the others in a respray especially once the paint ages is very difficult and can result in having to respray the entire car which leads to inevitable overspray, contamination flaws, removing parts, etc. not to mention a large potential drop in value at a whole lot of money to repsray correctly. When it comes to Porsches, especially GT cars, many new buyers get obsessed with paint meter readings. I think a lot of people who have this anti-PPF attitude are old school guys who's only experience with PPF has been with the older kit stuff from like 10-15 years ago installed by lousy installers and have not actually seen a modern PPF installation done by a skilled installer. Now I get not wanting to spend the money to PPF an entire car so hence why the compromise of doing the high impact areas exists. I hated PPF when it first came out too as the seams and gaps all looked awful and then it would yellow or peel as it aged. That's not the case anymore as a quality installer will make a PPF installation nearly invisible. If you have the dealer sub out to their cheapest vendor, then yeah, it will still look like crap.
Had my full body PPF put on by one of the best shops around here. I was only commenting on smaller marks. I think over time PPF can start to look beat up more than the actual paint would have. And to be clear, I would not do PPF again not repaint. I would drive the car and let it be. Again, only based on my experience but keeping the car as perfect as possible for the next buyer was useless, as no dealer I dealt with cared. So drive it and enjoy it. I don’t see getting much less because you didn’t put PPF on it when trading it in one day.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:02 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
Had my full body PPF put on by one of the best shops around here. I was only commenting on smaller marks. I think over time PPF can start to look beat up more than the actual paint would have. And to be clear, I would not do PPF again not repaint. I would drive the car and let it be. Again, only based on my experience but keeping the car as perfect as possible for the next buyer was useless, as no dealer I dealt with cared. So drive it and enjoy it. I don’t see getting much less because you didn’t put PPF on it when trading it in one day.
I was replying to the referenced post where the person said they would just respray the panels for less than or same cost as PPF. And that's flawed as one method devalues the car while the other doesn't. And a quality respray could very likely cost more than $3000.

I don't PPF for the next owner either. I do it for myself because I don't want a peppered hood and front bumper like I had on previous cars. If that doesn't bother you, then yeah, don't bother with PPF. But on more exclusive models, especially with less common colors, the paint quality is a factor for many buyers on private party sales.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:02 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

OP, just PPF that whole panel. That is an area that gets constant self generated damage.

People complaining about cost? Just get the most likely areas covered. I had bumper, headlights, mirrors, a pillar, full skirt w/intake panel, and behind rear wheels done for around $1800.

Sure, dealer won’t give you anything on trade; but they’ll sure deduct the hell out of it for rash, chips, and damage everywhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
martopoulos (07-09-2022), rasetsu (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 11:20 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
OP, just PPF that whole panel........
Yeah that's my current plan. I think I'll do bumper, hood, fenders, lower body side panel including intake & rocker, then behind the rear wheel.

I am not too sure about the mirrors as they have too many curves, if they are not done perfectly then they will bug the hell out of me every time I get in & out of the car; besides, I think the cover is easily replaceable.

Last edited by lowbee; 01-12-2022 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:09 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lowbee
Yeah that's my current plan. I think I'll do bumper, hood, fenders, lower body side panel including intake & rocker, then behind the rear wheel.

I am not too sure about the mirrors as they have too many curves, if they are not done perfectly then they will bug the hell out of me every time I get in & out of the car; besides, I think the cover is easily replaceable.
My installer did the mirror caps. Just tell the installer that if you don't like it, you'll want it removed and not pay for it.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:50 PM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts

My original plan was to only do the front of the car, mirrors & rockers. My car is Carrara White Metallic. When I picked up my car the color difference drove me nuts. I thought there was an issue with the PPF. (Suntek). I discussed with installer & Suntek. They both stepped up, removed the film on the rockers and refunded me that portion. What a HUGE mistake on my part. Shortly after I got 2 chips in the lower rocker. I had the chips filled and decided to bite the bullet and had all the remaining panels covered. In the end of the day my car turned out perfect. Once all panels were wrapped there was zero color variation. I should have had it all done in first place rather than sections. I’m very happy and have nothing but praise for my installer & Suntek. I thought I could “deal” with chips but my OCD took over. My advice is wrap the whole car and be done with it. My total cost was just over $5K.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:46 PM
breezlybruin
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine came with black ones on the car from a previous owner. Kind of ambivalent to see what’s hiding underneath, but may just go with clear in the end.

Quick Reply: Stone Guard in front of rear wheel ?