Sponsored by:

First P-Car! - Cayman S Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 05:14 PM
wam22
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts
Default First P-Car! - Cayman S Ordered

Just placed an order today for my first Porsche! Cayman S in Gentian Blue with PDK, PASM (10mm), PTV, Sport Chrono, and a few other options. Plan on installing the APR Stage 1 tune to bump up the power. Won't see a lot of track time, but lots of spirited back roads driving and I will daily it during the warmer months in Chicago. http://www.porsche-code.com/PN3FPS52

Currently own a BMW M4 (F82 with a stage 1 tune) and had a B9 Audi S5 previously. Plan on selling the M4 now since the market is hot and driving my beater SUV until the Cayman comes in (hopefully springtime).

I am torn on if PTV is worth it considering the 718 has such as small wheelbase and balanced being mid-engine. There are not any out there where I can test drive with and without. Also debating on the color as well. My M4 is San Marino Blue, which I love, but I have the itch to change from a dark blue. My S5 was Daytona Gray. so no Agate Gray either. I am debating Chalk, Carmine Red, Shark Blue, and Lava Orange. But I would need to drop PTV and/or PASM to stay under my $93k threshold.

The following 2 users liked this post by wam22:
AlexCeres (12-12-2021), gurneyeagle (12-03-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 09:11 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

1. Free: Add the smoking package and get a cover for the tray and another power outlet (cigarette lighter).
2. Free: interior luggage net
3. Porsche logos on seat backs. Adds a bit of quality to the seats.
4. I would keep the performance options. Your paint color along with those rims looks great, but if you want a bright color, there are free and cheaper options to keep it in budget.
5. If you do find loose change, I’d do the Premium Package before a premium paint color - another $1200 I think.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (02-09-2022)
Old 12-02-2021, 11:14 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 42 Posts

-Experience Center delivery is backed up 8-10 weeks, currently. I just canceled that selection on my order and will be accepting it at the dealership.
-Consider the standard sport seats plus to save coin; how often will you need to adjust the seats in a coupe? You also gain better bolstering.
-Definitely add the luggage net in passenger footwell, and consider the smoking package.
-With the removal of the 14 way seats and PEC delivery you could upgrade the interior to leather... which would certainly be what I'd do. That or the Premium Package.

Cheers, and congrats!

Last edited by drive95; 12-03-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:47 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
1. Free: Add the smoking package and get a cover for the tray and another power outlet (cigarette lighter).
4. I would keep the performance options. Your paint color along with those rims looks great, but if you want a bright color, there are free and cheaper options to keep it in budget.
5. If you do find loose change, I’d do the Premium Package before a premium paint color - another $1200 I think.
I always get the Smokers Package for the cover and the outlet is nice. In my 981 I have a cigarette lighter plug in glove box, center console, and under the flip tray. I noticed in my girlfriends Cayman T, the current 718s have USB in the Glove Box and center console. You seem to only get a cigarette lighter port if you option the Smokers Package.

Not that it gets used a ton for me as so much has moved to USB, but some might still want it.
Dan Nagy (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 07:51 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 546 Posts

Superb spec. I'm coming up on four years of ownership and the grin has not left my face.
The following 2 users liked this post by ldamelio:
Dan Nagy (12-03-2021), M. Schneider (02-09-2022)
Old 12-03-2021, 11:47 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 367 Likes on 231 Posts

I love the PTV on mine but not sure necessary. It is a rare option on the non-GTS cars.

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 12-03-2021, 12:04 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
I always get the Smokers Package for the cover and the outlet is nice. In my 981 I have a cigarette lighter plug in glove box, center console, and under the flip tray. I noticed in my girlfriends Cayman T, the current 718s have USB in the Glove Box and center console. You seem to only get a cigarette lighter port if you option the Smokers Package.

Not that it gets used a ton for me as so much has moved to USB, but some might still want it.
718s have a 12V socket high up in the passenger footwell. The smokers package adds another that is more user friendly and covers the useless cubby hole.

OP, doubt you’d feel PTV on any test drive…lol. With that being said I’d definitely get it if you plan on track use or even some aggressive back country drives. I routinely feel it engage on my Spyder.

$93K…those US$? Personally I’d get a 718 4.0 car for that much cabbage.
The following 3 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Dan Nagy (12-03-2021), M. Schneider (02-09-2022), pkalhan (01-16-2022)
Old 12-03-2021, 12:16 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
718s have a 12V socket high up in the passenger footwell. The smokers package adds another that is more user friendly and covers the useless cubby hole.

OP, doubt you’d feel PTV on any test drive…lol. With that being said I’d definitely get it if you plan on track use or even some aggressive back country drives. I routinely feel it engage on my Spyder.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to take a look as I had no idea it was there.

Appreciate you letting me know.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:56 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 367 Likes on 231 Posts

I agree that PTV is felt at the limit but the best thing about PTV is it’s the only way to add the mechanical LSD to a manual car.
rasetsu (01-13-2022)
Old 12-03-2021, 07:22 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 355 Likes on 165 Posts

A VERY FINE machine you have formulated.

I had a 2017 Boxster S with PDK. Wow. Yes, I loved that car more than I realized...after I got rid of it. And I think you have picked a great motor & transmission combination based on how you plan to use it. My other input:
  • Sweet selection on the Agate Grey interior. Yes, as others have said DO upgrade it to full leather.
  • In combination, go for the Satin Platinum wheels--instead of all black. A very-fine way to hide brake dust.
  • I did not have PTV in my 2017...never missed it one bit. (I also had a 2015 CGTS with PTV.) Unless you are in a 'super twisty area'...it is really your choice on keeping or cutting the PTV.
  • Final note on PTV, I have read that it can / does wear your brakes faster...but I suspect that is a function of how you use the car and how 'super twisty' you get.
While I am playing with my 2021 GTS now...I really do think a long-term 718 Cayman S will be a car I aggressively pursue in a few years on the used market.

Absolutely ENJOY IT!
M. Schneider (02-09-2022)
Old 12-03-2021, 09:12 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 546 Posts

Satisfied customer plus to add the RGS grilles from the sponsor above. Easy to install, look great and very important to protect your radiator, especially if your car sees the track occasionally. There is a nice thread here showing some cars with them.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:15 AM
yovinny
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also am coming out of an Audi S5 and ordered a Cayman S. I think the Premium Package and PVT are must haves. Wish I would have ordered the free smoking package, but I missed it. Only had a day to lock my order to get my allocation.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:12 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,824 Likes on 996 Posts

PTV is extremely rare for a S to the point where I think i've only seen one for sale 2-3 times with it in the 718 platform. But having a sports car with an open diff just seems all wrong to me, even if it uses brakes to try and simulate a diff it feels all wrong to me and is not a good substitute for a LSD or E-LSD) so when I was interested in ordering an S before the GT4 was out PTV was top of my list of options I wanted. A LSD makes a pretty big difference in lap times and how i can drive the car at lower speeds so lacking one is definitely an annoyance to me.

But the S isn't an ideal track car to begin with so I think very few people buy it to track a lot or push it to its limits.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:43 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,131 Likes on 2,142 Posts

I'd agree that the Sport Seat Plus are a great option to get. It's a must for me.

I think the blue looks great. But I also like carmine red a lot. Even guards if you want a free color.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:47 PM
wam22
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I added the luggage net (forgot to add that) and Porsche logos. Not huge on the smoking package since I like extra space that the cigarette lighter occupies. I don't really need anything in the premium package that I didn't select, so I would rather use the money elsewhere.

Originally Posted by drive95
-Experience Center delivery is backed up 8-10 weeks, currently. I just canceled that selection on my order and will be accepting it at the dealership.
-Consider the standard sport seats plus to save coin; how often will you need to adjust the seats in a coupe? You also gain better bolstering.
-Definitely add the luggage net in passenger footwell, and consider the smoking package.
-With the removal of the 14 way seats and PEC delivery you could upgrade the interior to leather... which would certainly be what I'd do. That or the Premium Package.

Cheers, and congrats!
I am not too worried about PEC. My job has something to do with Porsche . But PEC I am debating about. Leaning towards no right now. Sport seats are a no go. I have some back problems and the 18-way seats are a little tight for me, even with the extra adjustment.

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

718 4.0 I am debating but the problem is waiting forever to get one and it ends up being close to what I would spec a GT4 or 992, so I would skip that entirely. If I didn't get myself in horology recently, I would be leaning towards a GT4 or 992.

Originally Posted by Bearrun21
A VERY FINE machine you have formulated.

I had a 2017 Boxster S with PDK. Wow. Yes, I loved that car more than I realized...after I got rid of it. And I think you have picked a great motor & transmission combination based on how you plan to use it. My other input:
  • Sweet selection on the Agate Grey interior. Yes, as others have said DO upgrade it to full leather.
  • In combination, go for the Satin Platinum wheels--instead of all black. A very-fine way to hide brake dust.
  • I did not have PTV in my 2017...never missed it one bit. (I also had a 2015 CGTS with PTV.) Unless you are in a 'super twisty area'...it is really your choice on keeping or cutting the PTV.
  • Final note on PTV, I have read that it can / does wear your brakes faster...but I suspect that is a function of how you use the car and how 'super twisty' you get.
While I am playing with my 2021 GTS now...I really do think a long-term 718 Cayman S will be a car I aggressively pursue in a few years on the used market.

Absolutely ENJOY IT!
I typically do one of these road rallies every year, so Tail of the Dragon, Devil's Triangle, etc. Some occasional track days but I am no trying to set lap records. Think I will option the PTV. With my S5 and M4, I left off an option on both I wished I added after the fact so I think I will learn my lesson this time and add it.

Last edited by wam22; 12-04-2021 at 06:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wam22:
Dan Nagy (12-05-2021), gurneyeagle (12-06-2021)

Quick Reply: First P-Car! - Cayman S Ordered