Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 718 EV Follow-on Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 12:33 PM
Hardhead
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Are they going to make it 400 mile range and able to charge it anywhere in 10 minutes? If not I will stick to my ICE car
Old 02-10-2024, 01:24 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,707 Likes on 944 Posts

I'm thinking the Macan EV thread is more fuel to the fire on how popular this thing is going to be. Almost no activity there.

Not feeling the square headlights this thing is going to get either. Just doesn't fit with the rest of the flow of the car and will probably go down like 996 lights did for desirability.
The following users liked this post:
nd01 (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 08:48 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,001 Likes on 414 Posts

Toyota thinks the total EV market cap is 30%

https://insideevs.com/news/705724/ak...ta-ev-cap/amp/

When the worlds largest auto manufacturer, who continues to have record sales, and the lowest days supply of vehicles in the US makes these kinds of statements, they hold serious weight.

I hope Porsche is smart enough to offer an ICE version of the 718 along with this thing. Or this model will die a quick death.

Harry Metcalf has some very good thoughts and found himself in a similar situation as I did. I had full plug in hybrids and full EV’s and went back to ICE. Buying a $100k EV in 2024 as a personal, not business lease, is a fools errand.

The following 2 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
Chester7 (02-11-2024), lion shf (02-20-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 04:58 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
Toyota thinks the total EV market cap is 30%

https://insideevs.com/news/705724/ak...ta-ev-cap/amp/

When the worlds largest auto manufacturer, who continues to have record sales, and the lowest days supply of vehicles in the US makes these kinds of statements, they hold serious weight.

I hope Porsche is smart enough to offer an ICE version of the 718 along with this thing. Or this model will die a quick death.

Harry Metcalf has some very good thoughts and found himself in a similar situation as I did. I had full plug in hybrids and full EV’s and went back to ICE. Buying a $100k EV in 2024 as a personal, not business lease, is a fools errand.

https://youtu.be/nZysvgm2_Aw?si=AXELDpyLc5IIhzQ_
You make some good points. The liberals of the world are crazy to have thought that the entire developed world could and should go full EV. The grid won’t support that load, there aren’t enough battery materials for the entire world, and most importantly people should have freedom to choose and not be forced to only drive EVs.

A relatively light and moderate sized 3500lb to 4,500lb daily driver EV, charged at home, makes a good daily driver and that’s what I choose to do.
EVs charged at the company parking lot also make a lot of sense for USPS and UPS/fedex trucks, school buses, etc traveling daily in a defined area. Not only do those uses make economic sense, but this also reduces carbon emissions in a real and practical way.

EVs do not make sense for other personal vehicles such as full size pickups, large SUVs, or sports cars, IMHO. They also don’t make sense for 18 wheeler trucks, aircraft, or for long multistate trips with many charging stops per day. I did that once and never will again. (And that was with intuitive and reliable Tesla chargers, not EA)!

I agree with you that if Porsche is smart, they should read the tea leaves now and start developing a 983 ICE 718 model that meets the new EU and Asian cybersecurity rules, as a hedge to their current only EV plans for the 718 lineup.

I don’t think porsche will sell that many EV 718s, and this could certainly affect their bottom line.

A frivolous purchase (sports car) needs to have soul and emotion. Porsche needs to offer an ICE option along with EV, because ICE has soul and is an experience, and you pay six figures for an experience not an appliance.

Though selfishly, porsche going all EV with the 718 line would certainly improve the future value of my incoming Spyder RS!

Last edited by Drifting; 02-11-2024 at 04:34 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Drifting:
Chester7 (02-11-2024), Hardhead (02-15-2024), Mike981S (02-12-2024), Van914 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 09:01 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Amen. Schn3ll and Drifting. EV's can help environmentally, but there is a maximum/optimum market share.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:44 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 61 Posts

I think that doing an EV boxster / cayman, Porsche will fill a gap in the current EV market. There really aren't any EV "sports cars" (meaning with 2 doors and fun to drive) in the $100k price range yet and I'd guess Porsche will be the first. Sure there are a bunch of insanely fast Teslas, Lucids, etc but they aren't sports cars and they don't handle that great. I wonder if Porsche has data on their Boxster / Cayman buyers because if they don't go to the track and don't do huge road trips in those cars then a nice handling EV with a 250-300 mile range might be sufficient.

I made a video recently looking at the current and future EV sports cars. Seems like right now all we have are hypercar EVs like the Nevera, Pininfarina, and Lotus Evija all $2M+.

Old 02-11-2024, 03:42 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Not that I am interested, but is the electric Cayman/Boxster supposed to come out this fall (fall 2024) or next year 2025? The EV Macan is end of this year, so will the 718 be next year, 2025?
Old 02-11-2024, 03:43 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 647 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenz0
I think that doing an EV boxster / cayman, Porsche will fill a gap in the current EV market. There really aren't any EV "sports cars" (meaning with 2 doors and fun to drive) in the $100k price range................
Possibly, yet I don't think so. It's a marketing gamble that Porsche is being forced to take given Government mandates... You buy a "Sports Car" for the driving & emotional experience. The engagement of yourself with the Car, & Road. The sound, vibration, smell, etc.... That's why manual transmissions are preferred over the PDK transmission, even thou the PDK makes for a faster car. An EV may win the Stop Light Drag Race yet they are boring.... soul-less, a simple appliance to get you from point A to point B.

So while EVs may have a place as an around town "grocery getter" , the market desire for an EV "Sports Car" will be very small. Porsche needs to push their e-fuel more......

Zhao (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 04:06 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 314 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
. That's why manual transmissions are preferred over the PDK transmission, even thou the PDK makes for a faster car.
LOL, for values of "preferred" equal to 20% at most.
Old 02-11-2024, 04:48 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 647 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
LOL, for values of "preferred" equal to 20% at most.
Yes, For the Sports Car Driver, the Manual Transmission is preferred over the PDK. I see you have been fooled by guessing only at the sales figures of PDK vs. Manual for your conclusion.

Porsche still offers a manual transmission due to the demand from its customers. Just because you choose not to see that, along with the effort required by Porsche to continue to develop and manufacture a manual 911 Sports Car, clearly shows the demand and preference is there. Sure, for some 911 buyers the PDK is an easier transmission to use, as driving a manual requires more effort and skill. But, for Sports Car drivers, the manual transmission provides more engagement and is preferred.
The following 3 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
BoxKing (02-12-2024), Chester7 (02-12-2024), IndigoInkTaco (02-15-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 04:07 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,707 Likes on 944 Posts

I'd agree there. Autonomous driving right now has about zero chance of working reliability any time soon. My tesla is constantly saying sensors and camera are unreliable in the current conditions. The liability hasn't been sorted out either.

Even if they get it to work, the accidents are going to be horrific when it has a malfunction. Enjoy a 120kph crossing the center line into a dumptruck crash, or a right turn off a cliff in the mountains. What bothers me the most is I can be driving down the raod not in some stupid autonomous drive mode and some idiot having a nap could have his auto driving car malfunction and wipe out my whole family. I think even if we get it in the next 10-20 years lawyers will again set it back another 20-30+ with lawsuits or kill it altogether. We've had basically no mention of progress in over 5 years since manufacturers panicked when they finally realized the problems with it.
Chester7 (02-12-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 05:38 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Has the release of the 718 Cayman/Boxster EV been pushed back to next year, 2025? Can't see them releasing it at the same time as the Macan EV.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:39 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,127 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
Has the release of the 718 Cayman/Boxster EV been pushed back to next year, 2025? Can't see them releasing it at the same time as the Macan EV.
Correct me if i'm wrong but i always thought them saying "release" of the Cayman/Boxster EV in 2025 was more when they would announce it. Even if that wasnt true, a Macan EV and Cayman EV releasing at the same time shouldnt effect sales of either. Two totally different markets.

That being said the longer they hold off on it the better. While i dont doubt that Porsche will make a decent EV sports car, i just feel like the world isnt really ready for the transition and for me personally it'll take a lot more than an EV Sports car to convince me to own an EV.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:20 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,418 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
Same time? Didn’t the Macan EV launch just happen on 25 Jan?

PAG keeps saying 718 EV for 2025. Whether that’s CY or MY unclear.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:40 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 461 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
You make some good points. The liberals of the world are crazy to have thought that the entire developed world could and should go full EV. The grid won’t support that load, there aren’t enough battery materials for the entire world, and most importantly people should have freedom to choose and not be forced to only drive EVs.

A relatively light and moderate sized 3500lb to 4,500lb daily driver EV, charged at home, makes a good daily driver and that’s what I choose to do.
EVs charged at the company parking lot also make a lot of sense for USPS and UPS/fedex trucks, school buses, etc traveling daily in a defined area. Not only do those uses make economic sense, but this also reduces carbon emissions in a real and practical way.

EVs do not make sense for other personal vehicles such as full size pickups, large SUVs, or sports cars, IMHO. They also don’t make sense for 18 wheeler trucks, aircraft, or for long multistate trips with many charging stops per day. I did that once and never will again. (And that was with intuitive and reliable Tesla chargers, not EA)!

I agree with you that if Porsche is smart, they should read the tea leaves now and start developing a 983 ICE 718 model that meets the new EU and Asian cybersecurity rules, as a hedge to their current only EV plans for the 718 lineup.

I don’t think porsche will sell that many EV 718s, and this could certainly affect their bottom line.

A frivolous purchase (sports car) needs to have soul and emotion. Porsche needs to offer an ICE option along with EV, because ICE has soul and is an experience, and you pay six figures for an experience not an appliance.

Though selfishly, porsche going all EV with the 718 line would certainly improve the future value of my incoming Spyder RS!
I agree with you; it does not make sense in some uses, but for a regular commute/daily drive, Ev is great. Our two daily are EVs nowadays (Taycan Turbo & Model 3 Performance), with great torque in traffic. I have no regrets at all. BTW, the positive thing is when the weekend arrives, it gives me more anxiety to drive the manual 992 GT3 or the 718 Spyder that I just pre-traded for the incoming Spyder RS in June like you.

Quick Reply: The 718 EV Follow-on Discussion Thread