Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on first purchase (SF Bay Area)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 02:10 AM
barbanik
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Advice on first purchase (SF Bay Area)

Hello all,
This is my first post in the forum and I am happy to report that I am ready to submit my order for a 718 Cayman S. I am considering the following configuration: Porsche Code PNEGHY74 . I am located in the San Francisco Bay area and my main use for the 718 will be commuting, and mid-range road trips. Occasionally, I might visit the track, but it is not a number 1 priority. I have the following questions:
  1. Do you think that any of the performance options I have added are unnecessary for my target use? For example, I like the safety that the PVT provides, but is it really needed for day to day commute?
  2. Any stylistic advice on my setup that I need to be aware of?
  3. I read in the forum that many members advice requesting for a discount when a dealership accepts their custom order. At the current market and in the area that I am (SF Bay area), what would be a decent discount? I was thinking something around 2%.
  4. Any advice on local dealerships is more than welcome. I have visited the Steven Creek dealership and I had a decent experience.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:51 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Odds are you will not get a discount since the demand for sports cars exceeds supply, but you can ask!
Old 09-16-2021, 12:06 PM
TahouHots
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 124 Posts

I live in the Bay Area as well -- Sunnyvale. Bought a CPO 718 S last year for same purposes.
  • I don't have PASM or PTV (or sport chrono) and the car is incredibly fantastic as it is. Sport mode is plenty good for me. Not that I would not have appreciated PASM of PTV -- my car was what it was and the price was good. But I do not find myself wishing I had gotten those. You will never experience what this car car do on the roads. But you will love trying.
  • Re discounts, not a good time for that. Prices on ALL used cars have shot up dramatically -- especially these cars. If I were to buy my same car today, I would expect to pay at least 10k more, and more likely 15k more. New cars are hard to come by.
  • I go to Stevens Creek as well. Chelsea there is fantastic. Work with her. Although they are all a great team.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:13 PM
barbanik
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Odds are you will not get a discount since the demand for sports cars exceeds supply, but you can ask!
Thank you for the feedback. After scanning the forum on similar questions, I see that it is common practice to ask for a discount on a custom order (especially when the order is options-heavy).
Old 09-16-2021, 12:16 PM
barbanik
6th Gear

Thank you very much for the response on PTV. I am puzzled on whether it makes a difference on every-day driving, especially from a safety stand-point. I tried to get additional information on whether PTV has aided in tricky road conditions (e.g., wet tarmac), but I couldn't find a definite answer.

Regarding PASM, I mostly care on its impact on comfortable every-day commuting. When I test drove a Cayman S the ride was relatively comfortable. I am wondering what would the impact in comfort of PASM would be.

I appreciate the advice regarding discounts and dealerships!
Old 09-16-2021, 12:46 PM
TahouHots
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 124 Posts

I would not mind PTV for safety reasons either. But as mentioned, I bought my car CPO and it was what it was. That said, I have taken hard turns and curves and the car sticks to the ground and scoffs at me for being so "gentle." I think with PASM the car comes a bit lower to the ground -- forgetting how much. But it's significant enough that some folks get curb rash pulling onto their driveways, etc. But bottom line, you need to love the car. Have you driven a PASM/PTV vs non-specced version of the same car? If not, maybe see if you can do so with a couple of local dealers and see if you feel the difference. Either way, you are getting a fantastic car -- one of the best on the road these days/
Old 09-16-2021, 03:51 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

You’re getting a sports car, so yes you’ll want PTV and mechanical LSD (they come together).

When you visit the dealership suspect you won’t see many/any Porsche Sports cars. If they have a few don’t be surprised if they’re priced high.

The sales team gets calls, emails, walk ins all day from people looking for an allocation. If they have “lists” they’re long. People are paying over MSRP for
some models.

You’ll have to put some work in to get a new one. Asking for a discount will get you ignored…plenty of folks in the bay area happy to pay full boat ++.

Good luck, you can shop nationwide inventory of Porsche website…might be worth a look.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:54 PM
barbanik
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TahouHots
I would not mind PTV for safety reasons either. But as mentioned, I bought my car CPO and it was what it was. That said, I have taken hard turns and curves and the car sticks to the ground and scoffs at me for being so "gentle." I think with PASM the car comes a bit lower to the ground -- forgetting how much. But it's significant enough that some folks get curb rash pulling onto their driveways, etc. But bottom line, you need to love the car. Have you driven a PASM/PTV vs non-specced version of the same car? If not, maybe see if you can do so with a couple of local dealers and see if you feel the difference. Either way, you are getting a fantastic car -- one of the best on the road these days/
I wouldn't mind it either, but I have read that 718's handling is already very good and that PTV makes a difference in a track. Turning to PASM, I am worried about the 10mm lower setup as where I live there are many steep parking ramps.

I have not driven a PASM/PTV specced 718. The ones that I have driven did not have it and the performance was great even without it. I will try to find a vehicle with PTV/PASM and try to gauge the difference.

I appreciate your input on the matter.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:56 PM
barbanik
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
You’re getting a sports car, so yes you’ll want PTV and mechanical LSD (they come together).

When you visit the dealership suspect you won’t see many/any Porsche Sports cars. If they have a few don’t be surprised if they’re priced high.

The sales team gets calls, emails, walk ins all day from people looking for an allocation. If they have “lists” they’re long. People are paying over MSRP for
some models.

You’ll have to put some work in to get a new one. Asking for a discount will get you ignored…plenty of folks in the bay area happy to pay full boat ++.

Good luck, you can shop nationwide inventory of Porsche website…might be worth a look.
I appreciate the input. I do have a follow-up question regarding the nationwide inventory: Is it possible to ship a car from another dealership to north CA? If yes, I am not familiar on how the sale/registration works. Any pointers with additional info is more than welcome.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:11 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Originally Posted by barbanik
I appreciate the input. I do have a follow-up question regarding the nationwide inventory: Is it possible to ship a car from another dealership to north CA? If yes, I am not familiar on how the sale/registration works. Any pointers with additional info is more than welcome.
Porsche dealers are well equipped to facilitate cross country shipping…it’s quite common. In previous years they might have even done it as part of the deal…doubt that is the case now.

Most dealers can also handle all the state registration for you.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (09-16-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 06:39 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by barbanik
Hello all,
This is my first post in the forum and I am happy to report that I am ready to submit my order for a 718 Cayman S. I am considering the following configuration: Porsche Code PNEGHY74 . I am located in the San Francisco Bay area and my main use for the 718 will be commuting, and mid-range road trips. Occasionally, I might visit the track, but it is not a number 1 priority. I have the following questions:
  1. Do you think that any of the performance options I have added are unnecessary for my target use? For example, I like the safety that the PVT provides, but is it really needed for day to day commute?
  2. Any stylistic advice on my setup that I need to be aware of?
  3. I read in the forum that many members advice requesting for a discount when a dealership accepts their custom order. At the current market and in the area that I am (SF Bay area), what would be a decent discount? I was thinking something around 2%.
  4. Any advice on local dealerships is more than welcome. I have visited the Steven Creek dealership and I had a decent experience.
If you are going to check the box for every performance option as you've done it makes more sense to get the GTS. The GTS will cost about $5,000 more initially but the depreciation will be considerably less. If you look at the prices of 981 S and GTS you'll see that the GTS commands a sizable premium even though it has the same engine as the S. In the case of the GTS 4.0 the six cylinder will generate a much larger premium.

Here's a code for a similarly speced GTS. http://www.porsche-code.com/PN6JBBA7 Note that PASM, Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono, LSD and PTV are included in the GTS as standard. Unfortunately, you can't spec the same wheels or painted rear vents on the GTS.

The PTV and LSD aren't really safety items. They are go fast items that keep the drive wheels connected to the road when you are hammering it in a corner. Porsche Stability Management is the safety feature that helps the car maintain traction in less than optimum conditions. If you are only getting PTV/LSD for safety reasons, don't get them.

Last edited by sanderabernathy; 09-17-2021 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:32 PM
barbanik
6th Gear

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
If you are going to check the box for every performance option as you've done it makes more sense to get the GTS. The GTS will cost about $5,000 more initially but the depreciation will be considerably less. If you look at the prices of 981 S and GTS you'll see that the GTS commands a sizable premium even though it has the same engine as the S. In the case of the GTS 4.0 the six cylinder will generate a much larger premium.

Here's a code for a similarly speced GTS. http://www.porsche-code.com/PN6JBBA7 Note that PASM, Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono, LSD and PTV are included in the GTS as standard. Unfortunately, you can't spec the same wheels or painted rear vents on the GTS.

The PTV and LSD aren't really safety items. They are go fast items that keep the drive wheels connected to the road when you are hammering it in a corner. Porsche Stability Management is the safety feature that helps the car maintain traction in less than optimum conditions. If you are only getting PTV/LSD for safety reasons, don't get them.
I appreciate your response and the interesting perspective regarding the GTS 4.0. You are right that the GTS 4.0 is very close in price so I will have to think on that. However, I am worried that the GTS 4.0 might have more difficult allocations.

Also, thank you very much for clarifying that PTV/LSD are not a priority for safety.

Quick Reply: Advice on first purchase (SF Bay Area)