Sponsored by:

Dealer Allocations

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 07:51 PM
samwise
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Sigh this is such a turn off.

I live in the Bay Area and I am thinking about picking up a spyder. I am in zero rush and happy to wait a few years but would love to build one just the way I want it. Should I even go talk to the dealerships now or wait?
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (01-23-2022)
Old 09-15-2021, 08:04 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by samwise
Sigh this is such a turn off.

I live in the Bay Area and I am thinking about picking up a spyder. I am in zero rush and happy to wait a few years but would love to build one just the way I want it. Should I even go talk to the dealerships now or wait?
Maybe go visit your local dealers in person and see what kind of feedback you get. If you don't feel that they are shooting straight with you, then call out of town places and see what kind of vibe you get. Of all of the places I called out of town I thought McKenna in LA and South Shore in Jersey were the ones that really took the time to talk to me and follow up with me. South Shore even offering a 25th anniversary allocation....but that was not what I wanted. Also small town stores that may not get the traffic of the big town stores. There was one in Peoria Illinois that I thought was great....they had a GTS Boxster in stock(right before the inventory crunch) and he was willing to deal on it. Had everything I wanted but it had PDK whic I didn't want. My main point here though was it was a very decent dude on the other end. Good luck. And yes, the sooner you get in any line, the better. Just make sure you ask the tough questions....like where you would be in line.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:13 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
Maybe go visit your local dealers in person and see what kind of feedback you get. If you don't feel that they are shooting straight with you, then call out of town places and see what kind of vibe you get. Of all of the places I called out of town I thought McKenna in LA and South Shore in Jersey were the ones that really took the time to talk to me and follow up with me. South Shore even offering a 25th anniversary allocation....but that was not what I wanted. Also small town stores that may not get the traffic of the big town stores. There was one in Peoria Illinois that I thought was great....they had a GTS Boxster in stock(right before the inventory crunch) and he was willing to deal on it. Had everything I wanted but it had PDK whic I didn't want. My main point here though was it was a very decent dude on the other end. Good luck. And yes, the sooner you get in any line, the better. Just make sure you ask the tough questions....like where you would be in line.
Good advice! I got a great deal on a new BMW M for my wife from an out of state dealer in New Jersey last year. No dealer in the Bay Area was willing to negotiate at all.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:39 AM
aus
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Most LA dealerships are asking for $15k to $20k over sticker for a GT4/Spyder.
Some say they stopped taking orders because their allocation is full for 2 years.
One offered a tentative Q3 2022 delivery.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:49 AM
*991*
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 116 Posts

I am on the East coast NY-CT area looking for at Spyder allocation to build and can not find anything most dealers i have checked with do not even know when they will get one again. U can get on wait lists for Msrp builds but but most dealerships want u to commit to forced package sales PPF and ceramic coatings and such. The best I could find was 3rd on a wait list and dealer is fairly confident of a Q1 allocation and Q2 delivery.
I am hopeful that he is accurate but I doubt it seems way to optimistic for these times. Deposit to get on waitlist that is fully refundable until they get me a allocation.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:15 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,824 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by cybers3c
Good advice! I got a great deal on a new BMW M for my wife from an out of state dealer in New Jersey last year. No dealer in the Bay Area was willing to negotiate at all.
Which is odd to me because I've been able to negotiate hard with BMW. It's one of the reasons I bought BMW for the last decade. Last year demand was still somewhat crappy too right up until the new year.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:31 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
Which is odd to me because I've been able to negotiate hard with BMW. It's one of the reasons I bought BMW for the last decade. Last year demand was still somewhat crappy too right up until the new year.
Yep, unfortunately that's the reality of dealing with Bay Area dealers these days. When demand everywhere else last year was poor, Bay Area dealers were still demanding MSRP or higher for harder to get cars. While I was able to get a screaming good deal out of state on my wife's X4M Comp last year, sadly I was not in a position to trade my Macan for a GT4. I've since sold the Macan as I now wait for a GT4 allocation.

Here's the garage shortly after taking delivery of my wife's X4M Comp:

Old 10-02-2021, 09:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Because they don’t need to. There’s far more money floating around Silicon Valley than Jersey. And the cost of doing business is higher here, from real estate, to labor cost, to regulatory costs.
AlexCeres (01-15-2022)
Old 10-02-2021, 11:13 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Because they don’t need to. There’s far more money floating around Silicon Valley than Jersey. And the cost of doing business is higher here, from real estate, to labor cost, to regulatory costs.
Soo much $ floating around Silicon Valley. An additional factor is fewer dealers competing for the same customer base in the Bay Area.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:09 AM
doublejeopardy
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotcha, thanks! For my own sake, I hope that's BS.

Each of the three Bay Area dealers I put a deposit down are owned by different auto groups. From what I've been told each dealer manages their own waitlists independent of other dealers. Just curious if anybody knows if Porsche corp takes a higher-level view of who's on which dealers waitlist?
Can you please elaborate on which dealers the three different groups in Bay Area own?
Old 01-15-2022, 03:56 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doublejeopardy
Can you please elaborate on which dealers the three different groups in Bay Area own?
The three dealers I have deposits are owned by the following​​​​​​:

Redwood City (formerly Carlsen) = family owned
Fremont = Fletcher Jones
Stevens Creek = Penske

A little Google searching can tell you the ownership of others if interested.
AlexCeres (01-15-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 10:33 PM
SharkyGT4
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 27 Posts

It used to be that Penske Stores had a no ADM policy. I remember this from 1999, when I took delivery of one of the first Honda S2000’s in the greater LA area. Their Ontario Honda Store called saying my car was in. When I went to pick it up they had added several cheapo aftermarket items totally about $7k. I called Greg Penske’s office saying I was disappointed after having purchased a number of higher end vehicles from them in the past. Within an hour the Honda Store GM called me apologizing all over the place. I paid MSRP for my S2000.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:04 AM
MechEngr1287
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkyGT4
It used to be that Penske Stores had a no ADM policy. .
Not the case now unfortunately. The Dealer I'm have my GT4 allocation through is a Penske dealer and I paid some ADM. It is the market, I get it, but am super happy to have gotten my dream car though
SharkyGT4 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 11:45 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,509 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by MechEngr1287
Not the case now unfortunately. The Dealer I'm have my GT4 allocation through is a Penske dealer and I paid some ADM. It is the market, I get it, but am super happy to have gotten my dream car though
If you dont mind, how much ADM did you end up paying?

I'm currently saving up for a GT4 and i understand there a few hurdles i have to go through before i can actually buy one, however if i buy or not will depend on what people are currently paying. As of right now my dream spec is MSRP at 116k. However used ones are 150k. 150k right now is a bit of a stretch considering its not even the spec i want. However if i end up paying lets say 130k before taxes and fees, i might be more willing to purchase sooner than later if its in my desired spec.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:24 AM
MechEngr1287
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
If you dont mind, how much ADM did you end up paying?

I'm currently saving up for a GT4 and i understand there a few hurdles i have to go through before i can actually buy one, however if i buy or not will depend on what people are currently paying. As of right now my dream spec is MSRP at 116k. However used ones are 150k. 150k right now is a bit of a stretch considering its not even the spec i want. However if i end up paying lets say 130k before taxes and fees, i might be more willing to purchase sooner than later if its in my desired spec.
I checked quite a few of the 'boxes' on my build seeing as how this will for me be my one and done dream car purchase; MSRP is right at 131k; They wanted a 15k ADM and after some back/forth they were willing to drop it to 10k but not any further since they had a small handful of others interested in an allocation at that time and they had only received 2 GT4 allocations at that point for the rest of the year.

Everyone has their threshold of comfort but after debating whether to walk away on it or not over the 10k ADM, I knew that the extra 10k wasn't going to stop me from my dream car.
gurneyeagle (01-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocations