Dealer Allocations

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 02:09 PM
himichael
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default an allocation in san diego cayman GTS

hi guys
i haven't been here for a long time. just want to let you know that i have a cayman gts 4.0 coming that i almost certainly won't buy. i decided to keep my 996 GT3 and don't have room in my life or garage for both. it will arrive at the san diego dealership within a few weeks, as i understand it. -michael
Old 09-13-2021, 03:19 PM
Leonel
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cybers3c
Interesting. Do you mind mentioning the dealer? I’m also in the Bay Area and I’m on the waitlist for a GT4 at 3 Bay Area dealers with deposits at Redwood City, Stevens Creek and Fremont. I’ve heard and read such negative feedback on all Bay Area dealers, I’m not sure I trust any of them.
Marin Porsche in Mill Valley
the guy also said that if the North Cal Porsche rep sees your name in several lists in the area that you’ll definitely won’t get one , I’m not sure if he said that to keep me from placing an order with a different dealer
Old 09-13-2021, 03:47 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by himichael
hi guys
i haven't been here for a long time. just want to let you know that i have a cayman gts 4.0 coming that i almost certainly won't buy. i decided to keep my 996 GT3 and don't have room in my life or garage for both. it will arrive at the san diego dealership within a few weeks, as i understand it. -michael
I would be inclined to take delivery and sell it after that. You would likely have dealers wanting to buy that car and you could make a little money. I would think if you walked away and left it with the dealer they will slap a pretty heavy ADM on the car. Maybe allow a Rennlister to score a car without paying ADM.

BUT, for the interest of discussion, you could post your code so people could see your spec.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
I would be inclined to take delivery and sell it after that. You would likely have dealers wanting to buy that car and you could make a little money. I would think if you walked away and left it with the dealer they will slap a pretty heavy ADM on the car. Maybe allow a Rennlister to score a car without paying ADM.
You think another dealer is going to pay him more than 110% of sticker wholesale for the car? Because that would be what he would need to just break even after TTL.
The following users liked this post:
dicker (09-14-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 07:05 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonel
Marin Porsche in Mill Valley
the guy also said that if the North Cal Porsche rep sees your name in several lists in the area that you’ll definitely won’t get one , I’m not sure if he said that to keep me from placing an order with a different dealer
Gotcha, thanks! For my own sake, I hope that's BS.

Each of the three Bay Area dealers I put a deposit down are owned by different auto groups. From what I've been told each dealer manages their own waitlists independent of other dealers. Just curious if anybody knows if Porsche corp takes a higher-level view of who's on which dealers waitlist?
Old 09-13-2021, 08:00 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You think another dealer is going to pay him more than 110% of sticker wholesale for the car? Because that would be what he would need to just break even after TTL.
Yep...I do. My dealer, one of the larger ones in the country, has 5 new cars on the lot. FIVE!!! And 4 are SUVs and one Taycan. Quality inventory is in high demand. It is why you see all these cars marked up for sale, Yes I know, we do not know if they sell and if they do, what they sold for. My only point is that if he puts a little effort into it, there is money to be made. The dealer scenario was just one option. There is probably someone out there willing to buy for $10k over including TTL....especially if it is a good spec.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:13 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Lol…nope.
dicker (09-14-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 10:58 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Each of the three Bay Area dealers I put a deposit down are owned by different auto groups. From what I've been told each dealer manages their own waitlists independent of other dealers. Just curious if anybody knows if Porsche corp takes a higher-level view of who's on which dealers waitlist?
No, PCNA doesn’t get to see the informal waitlists each dealership makes. They DO get to see the demand orders if your dealer chooses to submit one. This is status V070. It is not an allocation or a promise or anything. It’s your dealer basically making a formal statement you’re interested in an allocation. The vast majority of the waitlist is NOT V070 but basically “off book”. Dealers usually keep folks on their private ledger so they can move positions around at will. Someone comes in an offers ADM, they can bump you down their list. It’s a headache to cancel or V070 and file a new one for a different customer.

There isn’t really any good way to tell if you’re V070 or not besides asking your SA. Since the dealers play games here, they usually don’t promise you are or aren’t until they are ready to move forward for your own convenience.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...xplained.1112/

Your SA is not going to help you order from someone else, which is why they’re kinda jerking your chain here. They probably don’t give a **** if you get the car or not. It is very common to be on multiple wait lists. I honestly don’t know how much PCNA cares as long as it isn’t a lot of demand orders in your name. They’ll definitely cancel your orders if they think you’re flipping the cars.

If this is worrying you, your wife / father / BFF could put an order in with your funding. There are a pretty shocking numbers of “cousins of a dealer” who get first year allocations if the hottest cars, so I wouldn’t feel the least bit bad about it
Old 09-14-2021, 12:11 AM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Appreciate clarification @AlexCeres ! Trying to snag an allocation for a GT4 these days are much different than when I bought my Macan in 2018.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:42 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Appreciate clarification @AlexCeres ! Trying to snag an allocation for a GT4 these days are much different than when I bought my Macan in 2018.
yeah, it’s brutal out there. I totally lucked into mine. Can’t speak for the dealers in your area, but here in NorCal, offering a trade in and a small adm like $5K would get you higher priority at most dealers. Some dealers won’t bump the people ahead of you for adm (they might be vips, for example) but often it will make a difference. I’ve heard second hand (so take with a grain of salt) they’re asking for $10K adm and folks are actually paying $5k. Allegedly.

Fun convo, my dealer offered to buy my gt4 on the spot while I was in for some other business. These cars are in crazy demand.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:02 PM
Leonel
Racer

so , thanks to you I decided to call other dealers in the Bay Area about getting on their wait list , I’m driving down to Redwood City this weekend to put a deposit down with them but I also called Burlingame and I’ve been emailing/texting with this guy the whole afternoon and I was set to put a deposit down with them too but when I asked the guy how many people were on their wait list , he said “ only two, we are only charging 25% over MSRP other dealers are charging 50%” I said I’ll pass , he right away tried to sell me a white Spyder and a red boxter gts that they have in stock again I said is not what I’m looking for , after that he offer to get the cayman at sticker price because “ I’m a loyal Porsche customer “ so as much as I want the car I don’t trust this guy anymore and I’m sure that’s the reason they have those cars on stock, trying to screw the customer
Old 09-14-2021, 09:38 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

so , thanks to you I decided to call other dealers in the Bay Area about getting on their wait list , I’m driving down to Redwood City this weekend to put a deposit down with them but I also called Burlingame and I’ve been emailing/texting with this guy the whole afternoon and I was set to put a deposit down with them too but when I asked the guy how many people were on their wait list , he said “ only two, we are only charging 25% over MSRP other dealers are charging 50%” I said I’ll pass , he right away tried to sell me a white Spyder and a red boxter gts that they have in stock again I said is not what I’m looking for , after that he offer to get the cayman at sticker price because “ I’m a loyal Porsche customer “ so as much as I want the car I don’t trust this guy anymore and I’m sure that’s the reason they have those cars on stock, trying to screw the customer
That somewhat aligns with my experience with Burlingame. Interestingly, Burlingame is the closest dealer to me and is where I took my Macan for service (before I sold it last month). Just from a geographic perspective, I would have preferred to continue to build a relationship with them. However, earlier this year, I had inquired at Burlingame about getting on their wait list for a GT4. The SA I spoke with said they absolutely were charging ADM for GT4s and Spyders, but said the amount of ADM would depend on market conditions at the time an allocation became available and would likely be around $20-25K above MSRP. With that information, I politely declined and "moved on down the road" to the other Bay Area dealers I previously mentioned.

To be completely transparent (and potentially at the risk of having a flock of people jump in line in front of me), I contacted the other three Bay Area dealers and negotiated in-person and/or via emails to get on their GT4 wait list at MSRP, no ADM. I found it strange they didn't put up a ton of resistance to no ADM and eventually they all agreed to just MSRP and gave them each deposits. But it's that lack of push-back from them that still doesn't sit well with me and makes me skeptical if I'll ever see an allocation from any of those three dealers at MSRP. I will be shocked if they don't come back and try to renege on the ADM as more allocations become available in the future. Time will tell.

At this point I'm considering contacting out of state (non-California) dealers to get on additional wait lists, but I know my wife would question my sanity.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:29 AM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

I would be curious to the cars he has "in stock". I have not seen any new 4.0 cars ANYWHERE in the country....unless they are slightly used re-sale cars. And 25-50% over MSRP is insanity. That is at least $25-50k over MSRP.
I did look on their website. They have SIX new cars in inventory....3 SUVs...2 Panameras....1 Taycan. They do have a Spyder in their pre owned inventory....$149,995k.....likely well over MSRP.
AlexCeres (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 01:24 PM
Leonel
Racer

I would be curious to the cars he has "in stock". I have not seen any new 4.0 cars ANYWHERE in the country....unless they are slightly used re-sale cars. And 25-50% over MSRP is insanity. That is at least $25-50k over MSRP.
I did look on their website. They have SIX new cars in inventory....3 SUVs...2 Panameras....1 Taycan. They do have a Spyder in their pre owned inventory....$149,995k.....likely well over MSRP.
The guy texted me pictures of that white spyder and a red boxter 4.0 , jthe guys in Marin had a aventuring green boxter 4.0 that they claimed the client reneged on it , they also had a GT3 Touring that also claimed the client had reneged on it , they were asking 289K for it

Last edited by Leonel; 09-15-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:29 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

25-50% over for a Cayman is bat**** crazy. I get folks want to spec their own build, but that's pure depreciation. There are a lot of great cars in the world, or for an extra $50K like why not wait a year or two ?
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
M. Schneider (02-07-2022), MustangTornado (10-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocations