Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to do you plug your iPhone USB cable for Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 02:56 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I was able to visit the dealership and they had a base Boxster without the smartphone tray and it did in fact have a USB connector in the center console under the armrest lid as well as another USB port in the glovebox. This jives with the Porsche instructions on how to connect apple carplay and the specs that say you get two USB ports. It appears that the configurator has old information that says you get a lighter port in the center console unless you get the smartphone tray. I feel confident enough that I will not order the smartphone tray. Thank you again to everyone here for your help.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:04 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I think there are 2 answers to this -
Is there a USB port in the center console - there is in my 2017 Boxster S (and in the glove box) - I also looked at several other newer models and IIRC they all had USB ports. But there could be differences for each market region.
Will connecting an iPhone to the USB port enable Apple Carplay - I believe you might need to spec the Connect package to enable Carplay. I have Connect and that's what the rep told me Connect was for. Otherwise the USB port just charges the phone and I believe there is a signal booster in there (not confirmed - need to check if the signal level improves when placing a phone in the console)
Old 07-21-2021, 05:11 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Latest online 'build your own' lists the following options under Audio and Communication, so it looks like you need to buy some of the options discussed-

Smartphone compartment
Smartphone tray in center console for optimized cellular reception and battery-saving operation.
Note: USB interface instead of 12-V socket in centre console storage compartment. Deletion of AUX interface in the glove compartment

Apple® CarPlay
Apple CarPlay® connects your iPhone® to your Porsche and brings some of your apps directly to the screen of the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system. Siri® voice recognition enables you to use the apps conveniently during a trip, minimizing distractions and allowing you to concentrate fully on the road ahead.
Note: Apple CarPlay® requires a compatible iPhone®. The approval of Apple CarPlay® in individual countries and the approval of apps for Apple CarPlay® are exclusively managed by Apple®.
Note: USB interface instead of 12-V socket in centre console storage compartment. Deletion of AUX interface in the glove compartment

Navigation incl. Porsche Connect
Navigation module including Porsche Connect, i.a. with LTE-communication module including SIM card reader, WLAN hotspt, online navigation, voice control system and other Porsche Connect functions.1)
Note: USB interface instead of 12-V socket in centre console storage compartment. Deletion of AUX interface in the glove compartment.
1) Porsche Connect services (including Car Connect Services, but excluding Safety and Security Services) include an initial free subscription period, the length of which may vary by services package and country but shall not be less than three months. The full range of Porsche Connect services or individual services thereof may not be available in some countries. In addition, an integrated LTE-enabled SIM card with data allowance for use of selected Porsche Connect services will be included in the price in some countries. For use of the WiFi hotspot and the other nonincluded Porsche Connect services, e.g. music streaming, via integrated SIM card in these countries, a chargeable WiFi data package is also available from the Porsche Connect Store. Alternatively, you can establish a data connection using a SIM card of your own. For further information on free subscription periods, follow-on costs and availability of individual services in your country, please visit www.porsche.com/connect or consult your Porsche Centre

I personally just use Bluetooth audio and play Spotify. Work perfectly and sound is pretty good.

Quick Reply: Where to do you plug your iPhone USB cable for Apple Carplay