Sponsored by:

Where to do you plug your iPhone USB cable for Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 01:08 AM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Where to do you plug your iPhone USB cable for Apple Carplay

Dear late model 718 Cayman and Boxster owners, every single instruction from Porsche, video ALL say to connect your iphone in the center console USB connector under the armrest lid BUT that is not standard in 20/21 Caymans. That is the Smartphone tray option at $560 that adds that and/or possibly NAV option. Without the smartphone option, you get a cigarrete lighter outlet in this location. The standard features list TWO USB ports and SD Card ports. I have been able to see that there is a door on the radio for SD cards and someone mentioned that there is a USB port in the glove box. But again, the Porsche site says this USB port is only for Ipod and USB flash drive and does not mention connecting iPhone to it nor does it say if it has current to keep your phone charged.

So those of you with 20/21 Caymans and Boxsters with the cigarrete lighter port in under the armrest cover, WHERE DO YOU PLUG YOUR IPHONE FOR CARPLAY?

Also, do you know where the second USB port is that is mentioned in the standard features?
If you plug it into the glovebox, will that keep your phone charged?
Can you confirm that Carplay works for you with these USB connections?

Man, I sure hope Porsche can build better cars than documentation!

Thank you.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:31 AM
SpyderLegend
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have NAV but I don't have "smartphone option", and I have USBs in the armrest lid.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:52 AM
winter.zed
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

One would have to order Carplay to get the USB port in the armrest. That is the only port where carplay "officially" works from. The smartphone tray option has nothing to do with Carplay. It's just a charger/signal booster.
The second USB port is in the passenger footwell.
If you did not specifically order an option - chances are you don't have it. This is how it works with "higher-end" cars. Porsche is notorious for this, but Cadillac or BMW are equally "good" at it.
User manual covers cars with all options. Some (or a lot...) of what you see/read in the manual may not apply to your particular configuration.

Last edited by winter.zed; 07-07-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:51 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by winter.zed
One would have to order Carplay to get the USB port in the armrest. That is the only port where carplay "officially" works from. The smartphone tray option has nothing to do with Carplay. It's just a charger/signal booster.
The second USB port is in the passenger footwell.
If you did not specifically order an option - chances are you don't have it. This is how it works with "higher-end" cars. Porsche is notorious for this, but Cadillac or BMW are equally "good" at it.
User manual covers cars with all options. Some (or a lot...) of what you see/read in the manual may not apply to your particular configuration.
Nope. Wired Carplay is now standard. The "port" in the passenger footwell is a 12 V socket, not a USB. There is a USB port is in the glovebox. The OP's dilemma is what is in the console. As I pointed out in another thread, there is only a USB port in my console (no 12v as implied in the Porsche literature). That is the port used for Carplay and to charge the phone.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:59 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Dear late model 718 Cayman and Boxster owners, every single instruction from Porsche, video ALL say to connect your iphone in the center console USB connector under the armrest lid BUT that is not standard in 20/21 Caymans. That is the Smartphone tray option at $560 that adds that and/or possibly NAV option. Without the smartphone option, you get a cigarrete lighter outlet in this location. The standard features list TWO USB ports and SD Card ports. I have been able to see that there is a door on the radio for SD cards and someone mentioned that there is a USB port in the glove box. But again, the Porsche site says this USB port is only for Ipod and USB flash drive and does not mention connecting iPhone to it nor does it say if it has current to keep your phone charged.

So those of you with 20/21 Caymans and Boxsters with the cigarrete lighter port in under the armrest cover, WHERE DO YOU PLUG YOUR IPHONE FOR CARPLAY?

Also, do you know where the second USB port is that is mentioned in the standard features?
If you plug it into the glovebox, will that keep your phone charged?
Can you confirm that Carplay works for you with these USB connections?

Man, I sure hope Porsche can build better cars than documentation!

Thank you.
You do not need to order the smartphone compartment to get the USB port in the console. I don't have the smartphone compartment or NAV and I have the port. However, I am confused about the reference to the 12 V outlet in the console. I there anyone that has this?
Old 07-07-2021, 12:09 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
Nope. Wired Carplay is now standard. The "port" in the passenger footwell is a 12 V socket, not a USB. There is a USB port is in the glovebox. The OP's dilemma is what is in the console. As I pointed out in another thread, there is only a USB port in my console (no 12v as implied in the Porsche literature). That is the port used for Carplay and to charge the phone.
Think Apple CarPlay is standard on 718s except for the GT cars…well that’s how it was in 2021 for my Spyder anyway
Old 07-07-2021, 02:30 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

You do not need to order the smartphone compartment to get the USB port in the console. I don't have the smartphone compartment or NAV and I have the port. However, I am confused about the reference to the 12 V outlet in the console. I there anyone that has this?
According to the configurator, adding the smartphone compartment, it changes the lighter port to a USB. So my dilemma is that everything I read says that if you don't order the smartphone compartment you get a lighter port and would have to connect the wired carplay somewhere else but no one says were. The videos on Porsche site say that the glovebox USB is only for Ipod and flash drive. It makes no mention of iphone. So was hoping someone with a current model could chime in if they didn't order the smartphone compartment or nav. So maybe, the configurator is wrong and you get a USB port for carplay in glovebox? I called Porsche and they didn't know either. They said they would call me back. No one knows. I don't want to throw $560 away just because no one knows how to connect. There are no new Caymans around to check.

Thank you everyone for your help. OttawaSteve, what year is your car? Also I worry because sometimes Canada gets different options than USA. For example my 1M Coupe was Canadian and it came standard with heated seats and bluetooth and no TPMS sensors in the wheels. The base 1M in the US came with TPMS standard but bluetooth and heated seats were add-on options so that is why it would be helpful to know what year your car is and if USA or Canadian Model.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:34 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Think Apple CarPlay is standard on 718s except for the GT cars…well that’s how it was in 2021 for my Spyder anyway
Yes, it is standard but no one says where to connect the wire to. Everything says to connect to the USB in the center armrest BUT in the configurator in the US, that is an add on option. So if you don't get the smartphone compartment, where do you definitively plug in the cable for carplay?
Old 07-07-2021, 02:43 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Yes, it is standard but no one says where to connect the wire to. Everything says to connect to the USB in the center armrest BUT in the configurator in the US, that is an add on option. So if you don't get the smartphone compartment, where do you definitively plug in the cable for carplay?
I optioned it on my Spyder and plug it in in the center console.

I didn’t option the cell phone compartment or nav.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:59 PM
winter.zed
Intermediate

The "port" in the passenger footwell is a 12 V socket, not a USB.
You're right. My mistake. I had a low-profile USB charger plugged in there since day one. That's why I forgot that it is just a power source Keep thinking of it as "USB port".
Old 07-07-2021, 07:56 PM
BrettPorsche
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I will echo that I have a 2021 Cayman GTS, no nav, no smartphone compartment. Still has a USB plug inside the center armrest. I plug my phone there for CarPlay. The phone fits nicely (iPhone 12 Pro)
Old 07-07-2021, 08:48 PM
winter.zed
Intermediate

However, I am confused about the reference to the 12 V outlet in the console. I there anyone that has this?
I do have it. I ordered the "Smoker's package" exactly for this power outlet. Use in the winter for the trickle charger while the car is in storage
Old 07-07-2021, 09:39 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Originally Posted by BrettPorsche
I will echo that I have a 2021 Cayman GTS, no nav, no smartphone compartment. Still has a USB plug inside the center armrest. I plug my phone there for CarPlay. The phone fits nicely (iPhone 12 Pro)
Thank you. Congrats on the GTS, amazing machine. I wonder if maybe when they added carplay, they added the USB port in the console and didn't update the configurator?
Old 07-08-2021, 01:36 PM
WJT718
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

ok not sure if this helps or not. I have a 2020 base, no nav, no phone compartment, no smoker's pkg (which it sounds like you have), with carplay and I have the USB in the center console.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (07-09-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 01:46 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Originally Posted by WJT718
ok not sure if this helps or not. I have a 2020 base, no nav, no phone compartment, no smoker's pkg (which it sounds like you have), with carplay and I have the USB in the center console.
yes it helps. That's exactly what I wanted to know. So it sounds like now it has port in center console. Thank you

Quick Reply: Where to do you plug your iPhone USB cable for Apple Carplay