Speccing my Manual 2021 718 Cayman 2.0 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 05:57 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
...if i were to do it over i WOULD NOT get PTV, and that is from an instructor. sure, in theory it helps but it eats brake pads like a starving fat kid with cake. on stock pads and rotors i would get 3-4 days of track use before the rear pads were gone from new. i would wear out rear pads more than twice as fast as the front, which is kinda comical since it's the opposite of every car on the road while traction control can be turned off PTV never can be. YMMV.
It’s a shame Porsche doesn’t ship an actual actively-controlled differential like they used to. (And no, not talking about a mechanical LSD.)
The following users liked this post:
nineball (05-16-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 01:14 PM
Kats
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Funny this thread came up. I was cross shopping a Carrera S MT and a 718 GTS 4.0 MT and ended up ordering a 718 Boxster T (MT) - quite the adventure haha. I was looking for something "fun" more than anything else, and since I live in a beach town, it was clear we'd enjoy a convertible. The nagging thing for me about the GTS was I do not like the "suede" style alcantara and would have had to go full leather + seat ventilation etc. to get rid of it all. And though the 4.0L engine appealed to me, there was some question in my mind as to weather I'd really have as much fun with it goofing around in a beach town. For giggles I clicked on Boxster T and noticed the more modern SportTek seat centers which I really like, all the suspension goodies of the GTS (which I'm really in to), and the short(er) shifter - I don't thing the base boxster has it does it? There was one more thing I can't remember now that you can't get in the base but you can in the T. But yeah, IMO it's a great package for the right type of person - I would have stuck with the GTS 4.0 otherwise.
forevermanual (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 12:33 PM
forevermanual
Track Day

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Part 2 is added

Old 06-12-2021, 04:41 PM
Kats
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Regarding the T, another thing to consider is that the residual will be higher than spec'ing up a base. So if there are T options that you like (or can't get in a base) you're better off buying the T for future savings on a sale or lease. As with all things Porsche, it's always better to level up than going crazy on options. Even a wheel upgrade (like my pal who went base and added 20" painted wheels) can get you almost half way to T price - most of that option money will never be recovered. The decision really comes down to your personal preferences and finding the most reasonable package to achieve it in. My T was honestly a money no object build (I was in the market for a 911s MT), I just wanted what I wanted and it ended up only being $5300 in options LOL. I have another Porsche I bought off the lot all optioned out so I knew what I cared about and didn't.

forevermanual (06-12-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 01:22 PM
yellolab
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 39 Posts

Good thread for me, as I'm erly in the process of making these same choices. Initially my strong opinion was that if I went to the T, and would throw in a bit more and just get the S. But as I learn more, thanks to this thread and others, am rethinking...
forevermanual (06-13-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 01:15 AM
Boba_kz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Привет из Казахстана! Рад увидеть на этом ресурсе! )
Old 06-14-2021, 09:50 PM
dichael
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

Please god… let there not be a part 3.

Quick Reply: Speccing my Manual 2021 718 Cayman 2.0 Turbo