Sponsored by:

Embedded SIM and Internet Connection.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 03:48 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Embedded SIM and Internet Connection.

So which is it? The manual says that with a connection package from AT&T the embedded SIM can be used for internet connection for your devices. Online Guy says NOT POSSIBLE. Who is correct??

Mike
Old 04-17-2021, 03:50 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Depends on the year car. Typically the embedded sim is for the Porsche Connect services. The sim slot is for the AT&T hotspot. We have one sim, I can move between cars as needed.

To use the embedded sim you need to add a data package to it.

www.att.com/porsche is where you sign up for service

Old 04-17-2021, 04:30 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So if I get ATT to move my data connection to an external SIM, can the car use Porsche Connect with that data connection?

Mike
Old 04-17-2021, 04:34 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So tell me where I have gone wrong. I used this link to hook up my ATT account. "Transform your porsche into a Wi-Fi Hot spot Via the EMBEDDED SIM CARD."

I have a 2019 GTS Boxster. Has Porsche Connect up and running. I have voice package, but not CarPlay (working on that.) I need the WifiHOTSPOT for my dash cam uploads.

Mike

Old 04-18-2021, 06:56 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default SIM Card Question.

I am going to try to get a sim card to try out in my car. I got the embedded card turned on via ATT from the Porsche Connect link, but the internet does not work for a hotspot. The book for the car says it will, so I am not sure what the problem is. There are Sim Card kits which are 3 in 1 type, that you snap out the size that you need. And then get a prepaid 'load' to test it out without committing to a monthly plan.

Question is: For those with some experience with these 3 in 1 cards, how solid are they? I don't want the thing to fall apart in the card slot.

Thanks.

Mike

Old 04-19-2021, 01:55 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default PCM Hotspot RESOLVED, but is it worth it, time will tell.

Ok, it took some time on the phone but I was able to piece things together and get the hotspot working. We had a conference call between ATT and Porsche Connect. The key is to wait a while after they activate stuff.

YOU CAN USE THE EMBEDDED SIM CARD FOR WIFI HOTSPOT. SO ALL THE OTHER 'EXPERTS' ON THE WEB CAN SIT DOWN.

As per the car's manual, the hotspot works with the embedded sim card. Period.

The thing you need: Make sure that PORSCHE has the car fully activated in their system and that ATT also has the car active in their system. This is what was missing. I had the three month trial period (interesting for a used car) but it was not fully activated. The kicker is you MUST purchase Porsches Navigation and Infotainment Service ($189 a year WTF) and then buy the cell service from ATT ($240 a year). I bought a year, but we shall see if I decide to cancel that.

What I cannot determine is that if you do use the EXTERNAL SIM and do not purchase the yearly Navigation and Infotainment Service will the Hotspot still work? Apparently no but I cannot confirm that yet.

Earlier I had the external sim in the car but when I connected my phone it asked for some login for ATT.....and when I tried the laptop, it never asked for the Car's wifi password until I bought the Navigation package. Then all the apps lit up on the screen and the internet connection worked but only with the Embedded SIM card.

I had considered just turning on the iPhone hotspot function for the Dash Cam connection but I wanted the car system connected. Given the car's price and the insurance and the gasoline and tires, I can handle the $450 a year.

Mike
​​​​​​​

Old 04-19-2021, 04:37 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Yes, the coding of the car and sim is always fun, Glad you were able to have Porsche and ATT work everything out.

You can use the external sim for hotspot service when you are not subscribed to the navigation/infotainment service. Here's some pictures, from a 2018, using the external sim slot. PCM has no subscribed services.

(also I merged your individual posts into this thread, as others could find it helpful).

The following users liked this post:
Ultimateuno (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 06:20 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I did all that with the external sim, but could not connect to internet. The phone pulled up a Login Screen. I could not get past this. And my laptop appeared to connect to the car's wifi BUT it never asked for the WiFI password and there was no internet connection.

I still have the SIM card (could not return it) with 30 days of time on it. So I hope to have a chance to try it again. I want to be in a closer proximity to a cell tower.

Still waiting on registration.....damit..

Mike

Old 04-19-2021, 10:52 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

If you are getting that screen login screen from AT&T, then there's something up with that SIM card. The SIM needs to be coded to allow hotspoting in order for it to work and pass data. That looks like SIM is not authorized. You can check out the data settings of the PCM from the settings screens under phone. Push phone, then OPT button, then select the SET Phone menu. That brings up a menu of the different settings, from there you can change the wifi settings and look at the data setings. I would suspect the hotspot is turned on, but the SIM is not coded for hot spotting or you may need to reboot the PCM when switching between the two SIMs.

There's this thread https://forums.att.com/conversations...d5f2f606d9cbcd

The following users liked this post:
718socal (05-04-2022)
Old 04-20-2021, 12:53 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much!

I'll give that a try since 1. I paid for one month on that sim 2. Curiosity

Mike

Quick Reply: Embedded SIM and Internet Connection.