Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I put my name on a list today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 10:34 PM
confused66
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 64 Posts

Give up in the sense that "you can have any option you can pay for in your BGTS--except the 14- or 18-way seats because that is the "sacrificial lamb" for the BGTS". CGTS? You can have the seats, but you have to give up X so everybody (at least has the potential) gives up something to ensure there are sufficient chips to meet the allocations" (my words, but that was my interpretation)
Old 04-17-2021, 10:35 PM
confused66
Instructor

and no, the 2-way are the standard Sport Seats which are free.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:19 AM
Unknown Soldier
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess since I've got your attention, maybe I can ask a few questions about configurating. I've already read a lot of posts on this and other forums about some of this stuff but I still have questions I haven't seen answered. I guess I should show what I've got in the spec so far, which is really not much besides the Premium package.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIATC45

(1) PASM - I already know what it does, and apparently since the S defaults to 19" wheels, Normal mode PASM really softens the ride on those and it's really nice to have. However no one seems to ever talk about the 10 mm lowering of the car and how much you will scrape your expensive Porsche on speed bumps, inclined ramps, and other things. In your experience, does the lowering from PASM increase scraping significantly over the stock ride height which is already pretty low to begin with?

(2) PTV - Obviously if I shell out for the PASM, I might as well get the PTV. It has only benefits and no drawbacks and it's only $1.3k more after paying the $1.8k for PASM. But how much does PTV actually matter for mostly road driving? I've never tracked any car before and maybe I would be curious about doing it in my Porsche but that's all highly theoretical at this point.

(3) SC - Ah yes, the infamous clock thing. I'm speccing mine with PDK so the SC gets nice things like Sport+ mode and it moves the button/dial to the wheel so I can switch modes easily. But really I feel like it's basically a glorified cool looking analog clock on my dash, and possibly ease of future resale since used buyers look like to look for SC. Is that really worth $2.6k?

Any opinions here would be helpful, or if there is somewhere else on this forum I should ask config questions please point me in the right direction!
Old 04-18-2021, 09:26 PM
confused66
Instructor

Nice looking car. My friend swears by SC, me, not so much. So you have launch control. So what? How often are you gonna use that? So you have Sport and Sport +. So what? So the suspension stiffens and the car shifts later. So what? I can do the shifting later myself and it doesn't cost me $10k.

PASM is good for smooth roads or the track where it will make the car handle better. But. you can definitely screw up the front underside on curbs and driveways. What most of us have learned it to take driveways, changes in road height, garage entrances/exits, etc., at an angle so the bumper is following the higher wheel. I've not bottomed out doing this. It's a hassle (and freaks people out when they look up and you're in their lane), but nothing like what it is when you forget.

Something I noticed from your config is that you're missing lane change assist. Boxster's are notorious for being hard to see oncoming traffic from behind (even with the top down) and virtually impossible traffic with the top up. I think it's well worth the minor investment to ensure I don't accidentally pull in front of someone I didn't see. My 2 cents. And congrats on joining the club!
Old 04-18-2021, 09:48 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

Re PASM - The GTS 4.0 comes standard with Sport PASM - a 20 mm drop and the GT4 and Spyder come with a 30 mm drop. I ordered the regular PASM (-10 mm) in my GTS and have had no issues with scraping. Some report no problems with the -20 and even the -30, but I imagine that it depends on where you are driving. I wouldn't worry about the -10 unless you have to drive over speed bumps and steep inclines regularly.

I have PTV in my GTS and can't really say that I have noticed it yet in warm weather. I would still get it because I drive mine in winter and it does help.

Keep the SC. The clock is just bling, but the car is better with the performance bits and you are correct, people look for it in a used. Probably one of the few options that will retain some value.

The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 10:14 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 1,035 Posts

If you’re spec’ing PDK, I’d stick with SC. It lets you switch modes on the steering wheel, and sport is much more fun than normal. You’ll want to switch a lot.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:47 AM
Unknown Soldier
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by confused66
Something I noticed from your config is that you're missing lane change assist. Boxster's are notorious for being hard to see oncoming traffic from behind (even with the top down) and virtually impossible traffic with the top up. I think it's well worth the minor investment to ensure I don't accidentally pull in front of someone I didn't see. My 2 cents.
LCA is included with Premium package in NA region but thanks for warning me about the sight lines!

And congrats on joining the club!
Thank you! Glad to be here!

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
Re PASM - The GTS 4.0 comes standard with Sport PASM - a 20 mm drop and the GT4 and Spyder come with a 30 mm drop. I ordered the regular PASM (-10 mm) in my GTS and have had no issues with scraping. Some report no problems with the -20 and even the -30, but I imagine that it depends on where you are driving. I wouldn't worry about the -10 unless you have to drive over speed bumps and steep inclines regularly.
It's a bit difficult because stock isn't great at dealers in my area, I would like to take a car out and drive over a speed bump with it although I feel like the dealership would be mad if I actually scraped the test drive car on a speed bump. Then again, I could probably gauge whether the sales advisor thinks it would scrape or not just by asking him while driving it.

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 04-20-2021 at 03:49 AM.

Quick Reply: So I put my name on a list today...