Sponsored by:

Track tire pressures???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 05:48 PM
pjmcgnns
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Track tire pressures???

Taking my 2018 Cayman GTS to the track next month and wonder if anyone has advice for the best tire pressure to start with?

I am running in the NASA HPDE novice group 1 which entails 20 minute sessions on track as fast as you can muster.

No experience with this so any advice would be appreciated.

TIA.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:02 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

If it's your first time, I would set the cold pressure to that specified on the door card. Adjust if needed, but that is unlikely.
As you advance, ask the instructors or others at the event.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:43 PM
ced357
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

What tires and what track? Track temperatures will certainly affect what I start with.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:35 AM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 144 Posts

If it is your first time ever at a track, I would leave the pressure as indicated in the door or owner’s manual (IIRC 33lbs cold) because of the run group and experience you have which may just result like fast highway speeds with at best moderate effort braking.

If you see that your tire pressure goes up by 8 or 10 lbs during your runs, then perhaps I would reduce it by 3lbs prior to your next run.

Of course this all depends on your driving skills (how hard you push the car), air and track temperature which are a few of the conditions that will influence the pressure rise in your tires.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:06 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Most tires do well on the track with a hot pressure in the lower 30's. I'd start with the comfort pressure setting (31 PSI, IIRC) and be ready to bleed it down a bit after each session. Just remember that as the day goes on and the outside and track temperatures climb, your tires will cool down between sessions and the pressure will drop. Make sure your first lap or two are at a moderate pace so the tires have time to come back up to temp before you start pushing hard.

I typically keep my dash display set to the TPMS screen and monitor my tire temps until my tires are close, or up to, my target hot pressure. Then I switch over to the screen with the oil temp and glance at that on the straights to make sure I'm not overheating. (I never did overheat my GTS at the track, but it's good to keep an eye on it in case something goes wrong.)
Old 04-04-2021, 07:35 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by sobiloff
Most tires do well on the track with a hot pressure in the lower 30's. I'd start with the comfort pressure setting (31 PSI, IIRC) and be ready to bleed it down a bit after each session. Just remember that as the day goes on and the outside and track temperatures climb, your tires will cool down between sessions and the pressure will drop. Make sure your first lap or two are at a moderate pace so the tires have time to come back up to temp before you start pushing hard.

I typically keep my dash display set to the TPMS screen and monitor my tire temps until my tires are close, or up to, my target hot pressure. Then I switch over to the screen with the oil temp and glance at that on the straights to make sure I'm not overheating. (I never did overheat my GTS at the track, but it's good to keep an eye on it in case something goes wrong.)
Is there a way to get the screen to display tire temperatures directly? Or do you mean you're just watching the pressures?
Old 04-04-2021, 07:38 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
Is there a way to get the screen to display tire temperatures directly? Or do you mean you're just watching the pressures?
Just pressure.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:30 AM
oups59
Three Wheelin'

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

With the 928, I tried to keep the hot temp at around 38lbs

Quick Reply: Track tire pressures???