Sponsored by:

Boxster, CPO or new?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 09:59 PM
AlanZZZ
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Boxster, CPO or new?

I felt CPO cars are overpriced nowadays and there are many options such as chrono and red interior that I really like while most CPO don’t have.
I am shooting for a CPO below $60k, or thinking of customizing a new base one at $80k with all my favorite options. However, my concern is that a new generation might be around the corner. Also, adding about $10k to the budget I might find some nice 2017 CPO 911.
It’s so hard to make the decision. I did test drive on both Boxster and 911 and I would love to own either of them. I’m determined to get my first P-car as a 30th birthday gift but not sure if I could afford a 911.
Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Last edited by AlanZZZ; 04-10-2021 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:16 PM
AlanZZZ
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Another question. If I go for a non-CPO used car, say a 2017 Boxster S, how much more do I expect to pay in the next two years?
Old 03-13-2021, 10:40 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,284 Likes on 804 Posts

FWIW, any additional costs for my CPO GT4 has paid for itself, given that the "left" muffler was replaced at time of delivery, at $4k for the part alone...right muffler still original, and I have a year left of coverage, tick-tock. I have had over (10) service/repair visits (lost count at this point) in the (18) months since, and have only had to pay a total of $75, which I was told I could probably get refunded by the dealer who originally did the work on the problem part. I also got free loaner cars each time. As always, YMMV.

I'm not sure what you want your first Porsche experience to be, or subsequent experiences, but I'm all about "doing it right the first time". Unfortunately, I went against my own desires in favor of what I thought was a better financial decision, and went with a CPO, instead of waiting to get called for my 718 GT4 allocation, when the new spec were revealed. The issues I had tarnished my experience. But if you like the new 911, I say save all your rookie checks, then get the car you want. However after talking to a SA today, it was sounding like Porsche may be sticking to the end dates of its model production runs, and the number of cars previously expected may not get met...grain of salt. He also said they were only getting 3-4 Boxter GTS/GT4 allocations for the rest of the year. I'm starting to think that it's an "act now, our operators are standing by" situation. Word on the street is next Boxter may be electric...if that's want you want, game on. COVID has made everything crazy, but given how prices/demand is now, if a new one comes out, you should be able to do well on trade-in or resale.

While at a another dealer today, with my SA buddy who sold me mine, he told me that the 4-cyl GTS that was being picked up while I was there was only for sale for 3-4 days. Whether your paying too much for CPO, or for limited supply, either way, finding a "deal" is going to be tough. Every dealer I've been to has been asking to buy mine...wasn't the case a year ago, and they are offering me more, with higher mile on the clock.

Last edited by colnagoG60; 03-13-2021 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:48 AM
Dale Allen
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 44 Posts

Alan, I agree that you should "do it right the first time." I went through the same decision process and my wife said "You'll always be happier if you buy new." (Bless her heart.) As has been mentioned, the spring market has sprung, and there's COVID, so inventories aren't high...but be careful about "settling" for something you don't love. The "right" car will find you if you look, or just order it as you've suggested. Don't let the birthday clock force you into a car that isn't right for you. Take a look at two threads on this Forum. "Is it necessary to get a PPI on a CPO car?" and "Used Car Buyers are the Worst." They do a pretty good job of explaining my personal preference for buying new. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by Dale Allen; 03-14-2021 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 03-14-2021, 12:43 PM
Dale Allen
Instructor

Alan, Not sure where you live, but Cargurus shows a $77k white Boxster with red interior in Norwalk, CA and a $81k silver Boxster with red interior in San Diego. Just FYI.

Last edited by Dale Allen; 03-14-2021 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 03-14-2021, 01:15 PM
rjag2034
Racer

Received 394 Likes on 208 Posts

You get what you pay for...if its your first Porsche then dont sweat the small things as it wont be your last....think of it as a progression.

Dont look at it from the $ perspective, drive them and see what you like. I'm on my 3rd Boxster and my 5th Porsche. All comes down to what speaks to you
Old 03-14-2021, 05:33 PM
Zman84
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on the market, if you are unable to negotiate a decent percentage off MSRP buying new, consider a one year old CPO which can yield you upwards of 20% savings with a net 5 year warranty instead of 4.

Do not compromise on critical options, which will affect resale as well.

Shop nationwide and factor in shipping costs.

I shopped for 4-6 months back in 2018, and even then had to compromise with a non-PSE car, which was easy to add with the dealer. Ultimately ended up with everything I wanted at a great value, like new with only 2,200 miles.

Last edited by Zman84; 03-14-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:53 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,059 Likes on 1,756 Posts

I drove my first 718 yesterday. I was debating Boxster v Cayman and 981 vs 982. Well, it was a sunny day in NY so the top went down (decision #1 done!) and drove the S vs a base (decision #2 done -SSSS). I have not driven a 981, but I am VERY impressed with the 982 Boxster S. Now, the Boxster S was a PDK and the Base Cayman was a stick. I did not like the shifter on the manual, but I will only buy a manual. It is as sloppy as my 996. I was expecting better. But I'll look to the aftermarket I suppose.

So now the question is: new vs used. I'm in no rush, but the supply is slim. Plus I'm out of my modest garage space and don't want to sell what I have just yet. So I'm considering leasing a Boxster S for 2 years or less (from swap a lease perhaps).

I'm concerned about buying new because of the depreciation hit on the 718's. They are getting a bad wrap due to the 4 cylinder, but I didn't think they sounded bad at all. Different, I get it, but not bad. If I were to order an S, it would only have a few options (PASM, PTV, and a few small cost items and that's it, for $82k MSRP. It's very hard to find that sort of lower optioned, sport optioned car CPO in stick. So with more options, it'll cost more.

So, used or new? Used CPO for in the $60-70k range on a car with MSRP of $90k, or buy new for $82k and take the depreciation hit? Thoughts?
Old 03-15-2021, 03:54 PM
Dale Allen
Instructor

Default New vs Used?

So, used or new? Used CPO for in the $60-70k range on a car with MSRP of $90k, or buy new for $82k and take the depreciation hit? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
If you already have a 996 why not just order new and keep the 996 until the Boxster you want, the way you want it, arrives? It is only a $12-22k difference by your numbers above, and (beating a dead horse) you get what YOU want.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:07 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dale Allen
So, used or new? Used CPO for in the $60-70k range on a car with MSRP of $90k, or buy new for $82k and take the depreciation hit? Thoughts?
If you already have a 996 why not just order new and keep the 996 until the Boxster you want, the way you want it, arrives? It is only a $12-22k difference by your numbers above, and (beating a dead horse) you get what YOU want.
I sold the 996 and replaced it with a Shelby Cobra. Very different animal for sure (or reptile I guess LOL)

I guess I should update my user pic, but I like looking at my little Aero.

Here's the current gaggle:

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 03-15-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:18 PM
Dale Allen
Instructor

Default Both ARE reptiles

I understand. In 2012 I sold my S2000 to buy the new BOSS 302 Mustang. It was actually a pretty cool car, but not my cup of Castrol. My 718 GT4 scratches the itch much better so I get the desire to switch back to a P-car. The same logic applies, however. Why not keep the Cobra (still a neat car) until the 718 you really want can be ordered? I must admit that being patient can be hard, but it is usually rewarding for me when I am, and sometimes very frustrating when I am not. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:28 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

It's sort of a depreciation / cost-benefit analysis in a way. That's what I meant when I said:

I'm concerned about buying new because of the depreciation hit on the 718's. They are getting a bad wrap due to the 4 cylinder, but I didn't think they sounded bad at all. Different, I get it, but not bad.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:43 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Get the 4.0 liter version while you still can!
Or a nice CPO 981.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:51 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I have 3 friends getting the 4.0. Two GT4 and one GTS, all Caymans. Due in this month. I'll be checking them out for sure! But I was thinking if I really love the Boxster in general, after a trial lease, I could circle back for a 4.0.

As for a 981, I am trying to find one to test drive to see how I like it. I know it's a better place to park $40-50k with very little risk, but then again, the misses prefers new or near new cars over "old" cars. (As you can see by my Cobra, we are not in agreement there.)
Old 03-15-2021, 09:44 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

I think up until recently the Porsche CPO was the best kept secret out there. This was especially true for the 718.
A two year old CPO had already had a dramatic drop in depreciation and with CPO still had almost a full 4 year warranty - and then Covid hit

After Covid even in the 718 world CPO prices significantly increased.
I was able to make use of that and when I moved to the 992 and traded in my 718 I was offered the same price that I had been a year earlier with around 13K less miles.

In the 992 world even non CPO's used cars are bieng sold for almost the same value as new and so in that situation for the most part if you want a 992 you are better off with new. I think that the 718's will stablize and that there are good values out there, you just need to look hard and be prepared to wait

Quick Reply: Boxster, CPO or new?