Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody added Power steering plus from Suncoast ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 05:50 PM
Mitsuba
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody added Power steering plus from Suncoast ?

Hi folks

I want install the PSP from Suncoast, but my porsche dealer has never heard about this before and said it is not possible.

Does anybody have any material about step-per-step how it is done ?

Suncoast denied to help me at all. Said purchase first, we help later.

Since I have only 1 dealer in my country, cannot change dealer.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2021, 05:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

It can be done, it's just a code that they give you to have the dealer feed into the ECU IIRC. You can add it or delete it. Not sure why Suncoast can't explain it to you. They won't actually help you do it until you pay them though.
The following users liked this post:
Mitsuba (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:30 PM
Dgkli
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you really sure you want it? You have driven a 718 that has it, right? I had it disabled on my Macan; much happier without it. Just saying.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:55 AM
Mitsuba
6th Gear

Default Good question

No have not driven any Porsche with PSP yet.
You have a point here.

today it feels heavier for parking, Harder than a M3, thats why I wanted it.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:14 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

What does it actually do? If it is necessary why does the car not come with it already installed?
Old 01-22-2021, 08:56 AM
Dgkli
Advanced

Originally Posted by blackland
What does it actually do? If it is necessary why does the car not come with it already installed?
It is definitely not "necessary." These cars have power steering for gosh sake.

My own experience with power steering plus is limited to my Macan GTS and one 981 test drive. I've owned a 981 and now a 718 without it.

What it is supposed to do: reduce steering effort at low speeds. My perception on my Macan (and others have said similar things) is that not only does it reduce steering effort at low speeds, it seems to reduce steering feel at somewhat higher speeds. True or psychological, I can't say.

What I can say, though, is that it obscures feel at low speeds. What do I mean? When the road is slick (rain/snow/ice), steering resistance at low speeds gives a clue as to how much traction is available. PSP completely hides that.

The other thing is: 718s in particular, have really excellent steering feel (in the current EPS world we are stuck with), and I would not want to do anything that interferes with that. It's not as if it's hard to turn the steering wheel at parking lot speeds after all.

Personal taste prevails. My strong suggestion is, if you are not sure about PSP, don't assume you will like it: find a way to try it out.

Last edited by Dgkli; 01-22-2021 at 08:57 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dgkli:
blackland (01-22-2021), CaymanMatt (01-22-2021), Mitsuba (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:15 AM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 108 Posts

That's just absolutely silly . It should be an on/off switch that comes standard then ... but I know Porsche .

My Mustang has the steering modes that are selectable for gosh sake. Comfort / Normal / Sport . I guess PSP is probably like "comfort" mode ?
The following users liked this post:
Mitsuba (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:28 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ANGST
That's just absolutely silly . It should be an on/off switch that comes standard then ... but I know Porsche .

My Mustang has the steering modes that are selectable for gosh sake. Comfort / Normal / Sport . I guess PSP is probably like "comfort" mode ?
No. Porsche has multiple modes as well. PSP is totally different. It is merely a boost to the power steering at low speeds. I have it on my car and I have driven a 981 without it. As far as I can tell, it does absolutely nothing beyond parking speeds, but does decrease effort at low speeds. Is it necessary? No, but for a few hundred bucks it is cheap by Porsche standards.

If someone has trouble with steering feel because of PSP, they are having trouble with feel, period. I was just hooning around a parking lot at very low speeds in the snow and the feel was excellent. YRMV.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:35 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

One of the options I would never personally select.
Would also be a huge negative for me with a pre-owned Porsche. Unless it can be coded off somehow?
Old 01-22-2021, 10:35 AM
Dgkli
Advanced

This is why Porsche offers so many options. And if you end up with PSP and you don't like it, you can always have it disabled. However, if someone is going to go to a lot of effort to add it (like the OP), then it is worth verifying first whether they will really like it.

I certainly would not include it on a "must have" list.

BTW, I've owned three Porsches, all with SC. I know some people have described a difference in steering feel depending on mode (Comfort/Sport/Sport Plus). I have never been able to detect any difference in steering feel depending on mode. (Unlike my wife's X3, for example, where the difference is quite obvious).

Last edited by Dgkli; 01-22-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:37 AM
Dgkli
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Would also be a huge negative for me with a pre-owned Porsche. Unless it can be coded off somehow?
Yes, it can. I had this done on my Macan.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:05 AM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
No. Porsche has multiple modes as well. PSP is totally different. It is merely a boost to the power steering at low speeds. I have it on my car and I have driven a 981 without it. As far as I can tell, it does absolutely nothing beyond parking speeds, but does decrease effort at low speeds. Is it necessary? No, but for a few hundred bucks it is cheap by Porsche standards.

If someone has trouble with steering feel because of PSP, they are having trouble with feel, period. I was just hooning around a parking lot at very low speeds in the snow and the feel was excellent. YRMV.
Again , it's silly that it's just software to enable it . Should be standard and selectable as just another mode .

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSP.html
Old 01-22-2021, 01:00 PM
Mitsuba
6th Gear

Default Suncoast

Yes thats it. Its this part.

the only think they said that we buy the software license, provide the vin number and they will load the vin at PPN Porsche Partner Network system cloud, so your dealer can update your car. And again refused to send instructions to show to the dealer....

Called the dealer again. They accepted to give a try for USD 250 an hour ! Same cost of the item itself.... that I would have to purchase prior.

Guess I will drive and park several times another week and give another try before purchasing it.

Thanks for contribution guys
Old 01-22-2021, 01:02 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 461 Posts

Most Porsche sales reps recommend getting it since it’s relatively inexpensive and will tell you it adds to resale lol, but honestly why do you need extra power in your power steering? It’s not like you’re driving an Alfa 4C....where you actually need it.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
Exactly. PSP has been debated ad nauseum in the 991 forums. It doesn't affect the car's handling at speed at all and it doesn't magically turn a Porsche into a Lexus. It simply provides a little more assist at low speeds. I owned two Porsches simultaneously, one with - one without. I preferred the PSP for daily use, but didn't feel like I needed it. I considered adding it to the one without, but in the end I never felt I needed it enough to pay Suncoast for it and then the dealer to 'install' it. If it was free, I probably would have had the dealer turn it on in the car that didn't have it.

Do you need it? No. Is it nice to have if you daily your car? Yes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
Mitsuba (01-22-2021), OttawaSteve (01-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Anybody added Power steering plus from Suncoast ?