Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Fire

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 02:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

The cause of the fire was almost certainly either dealer error during the oil change or a failure of a part on the car. Makes sense that the insurance company would, and should, go after Porsche and/or the dealership for reimbursement.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:15 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

One insurance company fighting another insurance company. The irony will be when they figure out they insure both parties.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:37 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,259 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by jcf7
Sorta new...had 5K miles, dealer's son's car. I was the first to register it. Had 3 years or so on original warranty and 2 more as CPO. Insurance mentioned that perhaps the old oil filter seal remnant may not have been fully cleaned off the block. Insurance is hot to go after Porsche...and p-dealer that changed the oil. I feel bad for the dealer, but Porsche Atlanta has taken hubris to a new level...
You are a patient man.

Given your history I would have moved on from Porsche after the second IMS failure.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:22 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
You are a patient man.

Given your history I would have moved on from Porsche after the second IMS failure.
I think many on this board will agree that my experience with P-cars is unique, almost like winning a lottery.

I had many sports cars before I drove a Porsche. I was 50 and drove a just released 997; bought it after a 3 mile test drive. Then and there, I decided to always have a p-car in my garage.

My son also became addicted. He as two pristine cars, a 993 cab w/23k miles and a 912 w/38k miles.

I question how Porsche deals with consumer loyalty. They’re aware of my history and plan to order a GTS4 for delivery in Spring ’22, keeping the 718 base until then. I asked them for “some consideration” (a discount on the GTS, free service, oil changes, priority on the allocation list, anything) but they took a month to say no to “anything”. The arrogance was incredible.

All said, for me there is no substitute. I will get a used p-car for the next year or so and then order the GTS4. Now, all I need to do is deal with my wife, as she said the same thing you did!

Old 11-08-2020, 01:12 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,259 Likes on 758 Posts

Now, all I need to do is deal with my wife, as she said the same thing you did!
You're lucky with respect to your wife, I've had nothing but perfect experiences with my p-cars and she simply doesn't want to see another one period.

Given your long history of brand loyalty I'm both surprised and disappointed Porsche is treating you this way.

Let us know if they ever figure out what actually caused the stall/fire.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:56 PM
jcf7
Pro

Update: Porsche NA didn’t answer my insurance company’s letter, so they hired a lawyer to handle the subrogation. The P-dealer that changed the oil did respond and will be at the inspection of the car, a carcass really. Nothing in this for me other than my $1k deductible.

I agree with those that say I don’t have any “damages”, but all I wanted was something for my brand loyalty. I asked for a discount or even a spot on the allocation list for the Cayman GTS4. And would’ve agreed to free service or even oil changes. I know Porsche has no obligation, but brand loyalty should be worth something…..

I know that hubris can kill a business, unless your Porsche. For me there is no substitute. Still it really pisses me off.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:09 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 897 Likes on 550 Posts

$1K deductible is money out of your pocket and if there was fault or negligence, you should be reimbursed for that whether it be a discount on a car or service. That's really unfortunate that Porsche NA won't address you as you are acting very reasonably. I wished a fraction of the customers I deal with would be as reasonable.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:43 AM
jcf7
Pro

Update: An inspection of the car will be scheduled for January by the insurance company lawyer. The P-dealer that changed the oil will attend. No sure if PNA will attend, but assume so.

I will attend and plan to bring a freelance journalist. Should be interesting.

The following users liked this post:
Pokerhobo (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 11:32 AM
msacks
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You should video record the entire meeting so we can watch afterward.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:34 PM
jcf7
Pro

Originally Posted by msacks
You should video record the entire meeting so we can watch afterward.
Huh...good thought! They shouldn't have an issue with recording(?). Thanks!
Old 12-14-2020, 01:16 AM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Old 01-15-2021, 09:39 PM
the2ndr
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates? I recently joined this board and not in the market currently, but from what I gather so far from Porsche's treatment is no different than Chevrolet after you spent your money on any of their offerings. I understand and can relate being really into any car, but reading this doesn't help. I hope the OP has a better experience in the future.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:09 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,376 Likes on 505 Posts

Im thinking NDA at this point. Hope all turned out ok in the end!

Last edited by Graufuchs; 01-15-2021 at 10:10 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-16-2021, 04:21 PM
flytosail
Advanced

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with your comment regarding the odds of a P-car seatbelt jam. But, for work I traveled overseas 60% of the time. On one flight when we landed and went to the gate, my buckle wouldn’t open. A ground crew guy had to come on the plane and unscrew the belt from under my seat. Everyone made light of the issue, including the flight crew. Yet, I wondered what would’ve happen had we had an emergency situation.

I had the same thought as I watched the 718 burn.

Also, the tow truck told me that all his drivers carry a cutter, and that once it came in handy as a belt had jammed. Just saying…
Benchmade has these seat belt cutters for about $20.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:36 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

A couple of maybe dumb questions.
1. The insurance company says oil filter is above exhaust but I have changed the oil myself on the 718 and the filter housing is above the left rear axel, not above major exhaust components IIRC
2. Is oil on exhaust really that flammable? Gas for sure, but motor oil?
Anyway, I think I would just be happy to get full insurance payout (minus detectable) and get a new car, (the 4.0 would be the one), too many unknowns for Porsche to be responsible, but good luck in any case.

Quick Reply: Cayman Fire