Sponsored by:

navigation and Porsche connect

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 01:29 AM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by William Meyer
I am looking at a 2018 Cayman S that comes with the Navigation Module, but Porsche Connect is not on the build sheet. Without Porsche Connect in the 2018 model, how do I get real time traffic information?

It looks like the car has the USB port for connecting an IPOD. Can't this be used to connect an Iphone and run GoogleMaps or Waze? Does it require a separate App to connect the Iphone to the PCM?
googlemaps on your phone or some other highly popular map app is all that would actually work in the real world for traffic information.
It does this by tracking the rate of speed of others with the same maps... since everyone has google maps, it detect slowdowns and congestion in real time.

No manufacturers headunit is even close that doesn’t use in some part, google maps and the like.

so what your car needs to mirror your phones display is called Apple car play and/or android auto. Presently only Apple car play is on Porsche. They are very behind.

even if your car doesn’t have this as an option, don’t let that spoil an otherwise good purchase.
you can use a phone mount for the map display on your car and the audio will naturally pass through the car speakers via Bluetooth.
The following users liked this post:
k.alexander (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 08:49 AM
William Meyer
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Haros. I guess in all the discussion about the Porsche PCM I forgot the simplest solution. I don’t really need the video to show up on the PCM display!
The following users liked this post:
Haros (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 01:23 PM
k.alexander
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

What Haros said, 100% what Haros said.
I'll only add that you can fairly simply add Apple CarPlay to 718 models, it requires at minimum a roughly $500 software license for CarPlay which needs to be activated on your specific car; and at most, it requires the above plus running a splitter wire from the PCM head-unit to the central arm rest storage area with a USB port on the end, although it appears that cars that don't have a USB in the arm rest but have one in the glove box can just use that one once the software is installed/activated.

Quick Reply: navigation and Porsche connect