Sponsored by:

718 GT4 or 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 02:53 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,087 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Toothengineer
My 981s always felt underpowered I was really worried I would feel the same about the GT4.
I can’t say that I felt the same with my 981s. Almost all these cars reach illegal speeds super quickly. I jumped up to a V10 after the 981s and just felt the power was wasted on the street. I didn’t track my 981s so I’m looking to get back there with the GT4.

Having tracked before, I’m just looking to be efficient, smooth, and generally improve with more practice and experience.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:57 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,087 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by donR
However, I did not realise you could actually officially option the PDK in your order or that there was any official release date for the PDK GT4, just a vague estimate?
Porsche announced GT4s would be available with PDK on June 24. The online configurator almost immediately reflected this and I contacted my dealer to see if they were able to submit builds with PDK selected. They confirmed and I submitted my build. As mentioned above, delivery estimate is December 4. There are others on the forum with the same date.

It is a little weird that Porsche announced officially that PDK GT4s wouldn’t be available until beginning of 2021, but if the build was approved and there’s a build schedule confirmed, I won’t complain. Let’s hope the weather isn’t too horrible in December.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:25 PM
sullic
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3papa
I've owned manual cars for the past 25 years. Beyond proficiency and engagement, it was second nature. That said, my pdk Boxster GTS is so quick shifting with paddles at the extreme, there is no doubt it outperforms any human shift changes. Get over it folks, it's a better way to be fast and is still engaging.

If I were a racer I might care, but I'm not, and I don't care. I drive for the enjoyment of the experience and I much prefer the driving experience with a manual. Today, neither of my cars has a manual, but I will ultimately sell my MB C63S and it will 100% be for a care with a manual.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:24 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 92 Posts

When I'm driving in busy, dense, at times stop and go traffic, driving a manual is not all that. Did I deal with it, ....sure. When I was driving in other conditions, I hardly noticed shifting as it was an after thought, not engaging, just second nature. It was only when I was really pressing it, whether on tracks, racing or in Mexico. In those instances, the pdk is intoxicating in the way it is when you are watching those in car video sounds from F1. I drive in either Sport or Sport+ all the time unless I just cruising on the highway. Manual shifting is crisp, on point, and isn't less engaged. All this is my opinion, and YMMV.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

I've owned manual cars for the past 25 years. Beyond proficiency and engagement, it was second nature. That said, my pdk Boxster GTS is so quick shifting with paddles at the extreme, there is no doubt it outperforms any human shift changes. Get over it folks, it's a better way to be fast and is still engaging.
And as the saying goes, a bonus is that it frees up your right hand to scratch your vagina.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:30 AM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And as the saying goes, a bonus is that it frees up your right hand to scratch your vagina.
I guess Hamilton and the rest of F1 guys must be all in then.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I guess Hamilton and the rest of F1 guys must be all in then.
Well, technically, F1 cars use a sequential gearbox that requires both hands, so no vagina scratching is possible.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:05 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 579 Posts

Really? It's 2020. Ask Danica Patrick.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Really? It's 2020. Ask Danica Patrick.
I think you guys are missing the reference I was making in my original comment. I guess the joke was too inside.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:12 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

I think you guys are missing the reference I was making in my original comment. I guess the joke was too inside.
I am new to this forum but not new to auto enthusiast forums in general. I'm not easily offended but must admit that while I know the genesis of your initial remark, it was seriously off color. Much like when my mom in the 70's would remark, "Just calling a spade a spade" was at the time a reference to calling like it is, but which could easily be interpreted in a much less favorable light. She wasn't a racist but clearly, well, it could be taken as such. Despite that, I stepped pass the obvious and responded as posted. All that said, I love driving manual and understand your appreciation of them but sense as much as anything that there is a belief that if you are not driving a stick, you are somehow less of an enthusiast which isn't the case. Let's hope our paths cross, we laugh about this, hoist a beer, and maybe get to drive our cars in anger at the same event.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Wow.

Over.

Reaction.

Much?

P.S. I love PDK and I still think you didn't get the spirit/tone of my original joke. Which BTW, is noooooothing whatsoever like the saying 'calling a spade a spade'..
The following users liked this post:
sullic (08-16-2020)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 or 991.2 GT3