New base 6 speed Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 10:07 AM
eosrebel
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New base 6 speed Boxster

All-

If this topic is already covered, please let me know. I may order a fairly low optioned base 6 speed Boxster in the colors and specs that I choose.

Is there much turbo lag with the 6 speed base 718? Also, on a base car, are these good to include: PTV ? Sport Chrono? PASM ? Anything else?

All comments would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:41 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 462 Likes on 262 Posts

I have a 6mt base 718 and have zero issues with turbo lag. I actually really like the power delivery of the engine as it keeps making power all the way to red line and there is not that big drop off that some turbo cars experience. I cant speak much to those options as my car does not have them, but for sport chrono be advised that your car will auto rev match in sport/sport+ mode (if you love to heel/toe down shift then this may be a negative for you). PASM does seem like a worthwhile option as the lowered stance and adjustability would be welcome additions.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:01 PM
eosrebel
Rennlist Member

Hi Gator,
Thank you... appreciate your feedback.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:11 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by eosrebel
All-
If this topic is already covered, please let me know.
Wah? The topic of lag and which option? Nah... never ever discussed

Is there much turbo lag with the 6 speed base 718?
Yes. There is no boost until you get to 2k. This is what I call first order lag and also referred to as 'waiting for boost.' Once boost kicks in there is second-order lag which is a delay in power output after throttle changes.

If you don't 'get' the concept of second-order lag, then as long as you keep the engine speed above 1900 rpm you'll say that there is no turbo lag.

It's very easy with a manual gearbox to keep the 2.0 (and 2.5) in boost so that lag isn't something that will bother you unless you're drying to drift around in circles on a big empty lot.

The same argument applies to the 2.5 motors just not as much. I've driven all three.

Also, on a base car, are these good to include: PTV ? Sport Chrono? PASM ? Anything else?
Base versus S versus what ever has nothing to do with. The options do what the options do.

PTV. I wouldn't spec a Porsche without it. Some folks will say it isn't useful or noticeable on the street. I can notice it on the street.

Sport Chrono gives you:
- magnetorheological fluid-filled motor/transaxle mounts (PADM) which provide less NVH in normal mode and better 'feel' (easiest way to describe the effect) in sport mode. All motor mounts fail eventually and high-tech once are more expensive.
- 'individual mode' and the little steering wheel mounted dial.
- rev-matching
- an extra stability control (PSM) mode that's really only useful if you intend to do auto-cross or track days and then only when you are advanced in skill.
And of course you get the dash clock-wart.

I've gone back and forth on whether SC is needed for a manual gearbox car. For me having 'individual mode' and the extra PSM mode are worth it. The PADM system is a novelty for those with butt-o-meters able to distinguish subtlety. I wish rev-matching could be turned off. I assume after-market tuners will do this for us at some point.

I plan to spec all of the performance options in my 718 (except, very-probably the ceramic brakes) because:
- it's a freaking Porsche and the fact that the performance options are OPTIONS is .... is ... is.... accounting/marketing schizzle.
- IMO, the performance options will result in better resale value down the road.

Last edited by worf928; 06-12-2020 at 08:13 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-12-2020, 10:26 PM
eosrebel
Rennlist Member

Hi worf,

thank you. i'm now considering PTV as an option. probably not adding sport chrono. still deciding on PASM.

and does putting a MT car in sport mode do anything at all to reduce the 1st and 2nd tier lag you mentioned?

when I was young and I saw my first 928 (in Pittsburgh) , i was totally blown away..... it looked and looks like nothing else on the road.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:03 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eosrebel
thank you. i'm now considering PTV as an option. probably not adding sport chrono. still deciding on PASM.
You can't get PTV without PASM. On the subject of PASM: I like it.

One of the key things about Porsche's in general is what I call "dynamic range", or, in other words the ability to be a commuter car, grocery-getting, and track car.

PASM is one of the options that increases dynamic range. The stock suspension is fine for the typical streets. The sport suspension is great for smooth twisty roads. Neither is great for both. PASM gives you ~90% of each. (Percentage arguable.)

PTV is useful in low-traction situations, when entering a turn 'hot' and when powering out of a turn. Only the first is useful on the street (so says the angel on my right shoulder, and we'll not consult with the figure on my left shoulder on this.)

and does putting a MT car in sport mode do anything at all to reduce the 1st and 2nd tier lag you mentioned?
No idea. It's possible since sport mode remaps the throttle response curve.

When I spent an hour and a half in a base 718 at PEC-ATL it was in sport mode. For me, the main use of sport mode is to lower oil and coolant temperatures and thus why Sport mode is always on at PEC. (Modern cars run oil and coolant at >200°F for efficiency and emissions reasons but that temp doesn't provide headroom for 'spirited driving' and thus sport mode lowers the control set-point back to the good old days of ~195°F.)

I always drive in sport mode as it is my belief that the lower average operating temperature extends the life of rubber and plastics that surround the engine. (This is absolutely true of 928s.)

Really the lag of the 2.0 and 2.5 motors is not an issue provided that you are keeping the revs close to the boost threshold. I reduced the service life of a base 718 and a GTS at PEC-ATL and drove an S on local roads. For normal driving the flat-fours are great engines and there's much confusion about 1st and 2nd-order lag and when it matters.

Second order lag matters when you are attempting to be Walter Röhrl and want to do some drifting. Which you get to attempt at PEC-ATL The response lag has to be anticipated when making throttle corrections to keep the drift stable. The base seemed to have more response lag than the GTS.

Again: on the street with revs up you shouldn't notice lag unless your butt-o-meter is extremely sensitive. Even at ~1500 rpm (below the 1900-ish boost threshold) the S never felt like it was "waiting" to do anything unlike the VW inline-4s where nothing happens before the turbo kicks in.

when I was young and I saw my first 928 (in Pittsburgh) , i was totally blown away..... it looked and looks like nothing else on the road.
And still does. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
beachbrum (06-29-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 10:22 PM
matmanx1
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

My butt meter feels boost really strongly at about 2700 rpm and up in the base car. Below that there is some waiting for the feel of strong acceleration to come on. With either transmission you can keep it in Sport mode (which should be the default driving mode) and choose gears for yourself to keep the tach in the sweet spot which with these cars is anywhere from 3k rpm all the way to redline. I like Sport Chrono a lot. I can feel the dynamic engine mounts working and they really enhance the experience when you are giving it the beans while making the car very smooth when driving normally. I wish I had PTV and PASM and if I had to do it again I would opt for those. I have some great rural roads near my house and I can actually give my car a little work out several times a week so I wish I had the limited slip diff that comes with PTV and the more aggressive damper settings that come with PASM.

Otherwise the base 718 Boxster and Cayman are both fantastic sports cars and I love them to death.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:57 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 897 Likes on 550 Posts

Are there actually allocations to order a base 718 right now? There are a decent number of well optioned CPO'd 718s available across the US. You can get a CPO S for low $60K. I have every performance option on my S except PTV and wish it had it as I have it on my ordered Macan but it's not the end of the world. I wish the original buyer had selected PTV instead of the useless navigation. I was in your position last year with considering ordering a low optioned base until I was told there were no more allocations so I started looking at what I could get CPO for the same money. Ended up with an 8K mile S with a lot more options for less money.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:37 PM
eosrebel
Rennlist Member

Guys

thanks for comments. i've been looking a few weeks for a CPO 6MT boxster; when i last checked a week ago, there was really nothing around. there had been some that dealers acquired through the Porsche dealer auction process, but those cars either got sold very quickly or didn't have the right options or color for me.

as far as base boxster allocations, i do believe you can order now for October delivery....
Old 06-18-2020, 10:43 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 897 Likes on 550 Posts

Keep checking daily until you can no longer cancel an order as the CPO listings are constantly in flux. Manual cars seem to sell pretty quickly but new listings come up quickly too as people dump their toys as the economy continues to fluctuate.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:11 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Keep checking daily until you can no longer cancel an order as the CPO listings are constantly in flux. Manual cars seem to sell pretty quickly but new listings come up quickly too as people dump their toys as the economy continues to fluctuate.
It's very difficult to pick your options at the Used Car Store. Manual Porsche Sports Cars are rare these days. IIRC ~20% or less. But, pre-owned buyers seem to want manuals.

So, if you want a manual and you have one or two must-have options and a couple of color preferences, then you might see a few cars every year that match.

You are right that you'll have to check daily and then when one comes along that meets the spec, you should assume that it will be a seller's market. Don't screw around playing let's make a deal...
Old 06-19-2020, 02:33 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm still waiting to see if I am going to buy my base 2017 6MT Cayman at the end of the lease - September. It has been difficult to assess its value, and there is zero chance I would be able to buy a similar one without ordering a new one. Mine has the preferred package, 18" wheels, 14-ways and Bose. I wish I added the PTV\PASM and GT steering wheel, though I appreciate my current ride height. I might add an aftermarket limited slip at some point.

My Cayman has 16K miles, has a full front-clip 3M Scotchguard film, no scratches, has only been washed\waxed by me, and has been run exclusively on Chevron Premium. Buy-out price is $34K, so I will probably buy it and get an aftermarket warranty before the OE one expires.

Quick Reply: New base 6 speed Boxster