Sponsored by:

Replacing center armrest cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 03:48 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing center armrest cover

Has anyone replaced the center console cover on a cayman?

Someone rummaged thru my car and broke the latch on the cover mechanism. I got the part to fix it and have swapped the cover on the mechanism. However getting the trim piece off to get to the hinge was not immediately obvious.

Has anyone done this before I go trying to pry the plastic trim pieces off?
Old 07-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Mariomark
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

My fathers car has the same problem. I would be grateful if you could share the part number and source and how you removed the trim piece? Thanks for any help!
Old 07-13-2021, 07:37 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

I'm not sure what trim piece you are referring to, but I've replaced the cover on my 981 several times, first going to a Cognac color, then an Espresso raised height one. Tge cover swap is simple with just 6-8 screws holding it on. The raised height one us more involved but still easy. Suncoast sells them and I think has a tutorial on the replacement process. BTW, those covers are both for sale as I've sold the 981 if anyone is interested. I've got to list them in the classified section.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:23 PM
Mariomark
Advanced

Thanks, I can remove the pad easily. It is what is under the pad, the door mechanism needs replacing. There is a small piece of trim that covers the hinge that I am afraid of breaking while removing. Also, where can I get a replacement for the actual latch, (if removable) or door? Thanks!
Old 07-13-2021, 12:42 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Check the Suncoast DIY on the console lid R&R, it is somewhat involved but not hard. Tge spring comes with tge raised height lid and requires removal of the trim piece, it comes off pretty easy. T h ey can sell you replacement parts.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:17 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

I just sis a search on YouTube and found some videos on the procedure. Some are for the 911 but it's the same lid, just slightly different for the Cayman.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:30 PM
Mariomark
Advanced

The trim piece on the right was the difficult one to figure out how to remove. It comes straight up but you first have to remove the carpet panel from that hidden groove on top. The carpet panel is very stiff and stronger than you would think when trying to force the piece upward. Raise the console lid to relieve the tension on the spring and push the hinge pin out and the hinge and cover inner frame will come out easily. Make note of where the spring tips fit for reinstallation. I ordered the inner frame from Porsche for $118.00 USD with shipping. It should go in much easier than it came out. The tiny end of the latch broke off and the spring made the armrest bounce. I think the spring does not raise the lid all the way because it would be much more difficult to install with that much tension at the raised position.

The following users liked this post:
Gerald Bostock (07-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Replacing center armrest cover