Sponsored by:

Top tether retrofit for 718 Boxster/Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 03:13 PM
Hematose
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Top tether retrofit for 718 Boxster/Spyder

In Canada, using a top tether for a children's car seat is mandatory, because all car seats that meet Canadian federal safety standards require using top tethers in their manuals, and all provincial highway laws require using the seats according to their manuals.

In my Spyder, there is no top tether anchor point that I'm aware of. Is there a way to get one retrofitted by a dealer? Does anyone have an example where this has been done?

If not, it looks like I'd have to wait until my kid is old/big enough to use a booster.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:22 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Sorry but a Spyder (or any 2-seater sports car) is no place for a child that requires a baby seat.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:36 PM
Hematose
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
Sorry but a Spyder (or any 2-seater sports car) is no place for a child that requires a baby seat.
Thanks for your opinion, but the designers of the car disagree with you. There's an extensive section of the manual dealing with the installation of car seats and a dedicated electronic system to detect child occupants to change how airbags work for them. The Cayman/GT4 has the top tether anchors and is simple to use within the law. Porsche even makes Tequipment-branded seats in the EU market.

If fact, I could just go out an buy a booster seat tomorrow and use it legally because my daughter is over 40 lbs., but I'm trying to find a better 5-point harness solution with the help of this forum.

For what it's worth, in a rollover, the strength of the roof of a car has very little to do with the metal on the top, making the Cayman and the Boxster not very different in that respect. Rollover accidents, are highly unlikely in a vehicle with such a low CoG.

You wouldn't bat an eye at it, but you'd be taking a vastly higher risk driving your kid to daycare and back through urban traffic in a regular car (or rollover-prone SUV?) every weekday than I would be taking my kid for a Sunday drive in the country a few times a year in a roadster.

Quick Reply: Top tether retrofit for 718 Boxster/Spyder