Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deposit placed on a Cayman S :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 02:53 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

I actually went opposite and didn't want the multifunction. I love my clean GT wheel with just the **** to pick driving modes.

CarPlay like people mentioned and light design package is also a must for me.

Other than that you have a very nice spec!
Old 01-14-2020, 03:53 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
I actually went opposite and didn't want the multifunction. I love my clean GT wheel with just the **** to pick driving modes.
Yep. It's a sports car. Steering wheel is for steering.
The following users liked this post:
X2Board (08-28-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 04:59 PM
nerual13
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
This is the attitude that drives me nuts. Yes. Its a sports car. But why does that mean I cannot have / want creature comforts? I drive mine as my daily driver, yes I want those little details. I don't understand why this is such a terrible thing for some folks. Not everyone gets to have a collection of Porsches, for some of us its the main vehicle.
The following 3 users liked this post by nerual13:
Chester7 (01-22-2020), jimmex (01-22-2020), k.alexander (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 07:57 PM
WJT718
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

My deposit on a 2020 base was $2500

Old 01-15-2020, 03:01 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by nerual13
This is the attitude that drives me nuts. Yes. Its a sports car. But why does that mean I cannot have / want creature comforts? I drive mine as my daily driver, yes I want those little details. I don't understand why this is such a terrible thing for some folks. Not everyone gets to have a collection of Porsches, for some of us its the main vehicle.
Exactly. Well unless you have more than a stock Blaupunkt am/fm/cassette because that's what comes in true sports cars.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:05 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
And a few other things....
Old 01-21-2020, 09:39 PM
modifieda4
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

i realized that my sport steering wheel on my audi is devoid of buttons, and i have no problems with it. I'm now thinking of upgrading the seats to the 18way instead.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:05 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

OP, what’s the msrp? Why not the new GTS 4.0? Or do you prefer the turbo 4?

I like a heated steering wheel but not the extra buttons. Don’t see why heat must come with buttons.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:37 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 897 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
I thought I was the only odd one who felt this way. I have the multi function wheel on my Macan and although nice, I've accidentally hit buttons when shuffling the wheel on spirited drives so I purposely didn't want the buttons on my Cayman wheel but it wouldn't have been a deal breaker. If I drove my Cayman daily, I might feel differently though but the radio controls are so much closer than on the Macan and I don't change the right TFT screen from the gauge display anyways. Working the stalk to set everything up as opposed to using a scroll wheel was a little cumbersome at the very beginning but I haven't really touched it since after the first couple of weeks of ownership. I do wish I could have heat without the multifunction controls though.

As for OP's specific build, I would strongly suggest ventilated seats as I would never have another leather surfaced seating without it again. And a cheap option that often gets overlooked are power folding side mirrors. I really wish mine had that as I park in narrow garage space. Lastly, although I understand aesthetics are completely personal and subjective, I don't know if optioning clear tail lights on the 718 are worth it as the red elements in them are pretty small and darkened to begin with so it's a pretty expensive option for a very subtle difference. Just something to think about if you need to shift money elsewhere.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:16 PM
modifieda4
Instructor

Originally Posted by hf1
OP, what’s the msrp? Why not the new GTS 4.0? Or do you prefer the turbo 4?

I like a heated steering wheel but not the extra buttons. Don’t see why heat must come with buttons.
As optioned in the OP, the msrp is $86k. As of november in my spreadsheet i could price a GTS at the same cost with same/equiv options. Since the GTS isn't available right now, thats a negative to getting one. Plus I expect the new GTS to cost more than the T4 version. instead of chasing a dream, i'm pulling the trigger.

As far as a turbo 4 goes, that is my current ride (audi A4 1.8t quattro). I have no problems with driving a turbo 4, they're awesome. I've modified my A4 over the years to nearly double the stock hp, still on stock internals. The engine is 20years old. VAG and presumably PAG detune turbos for things that don't matter to me so eventually i'll chip the cayman. i suspect the weakest link is the clutch.

i agree...too bad the heat comes with buttons.
Chester7 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 09:18 PM
modifieda4
Instructor

Originally Posted by rasetsu
As for OP's specific build, I would strongly suggest ventilated seats as I would never have another leather surfaced seating without it again. And a cheap option that often gets overlooked are power folding side mirrors. I really wish mine had that as I park in narrow garage space. Lastly, although I understand aesthetics are completely personal and subjective, I don't know if optioning clear tail lights on the 718 are worth it as the red elements in them are pretty small and darkened to begin with so it's a pretty expensive option for a very subtle difference. Just something to think about if you need to shift money elsewhere.
you make some good points, thanks for the feedback!
rasetsu (01-22-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 12:30 PM
modifieda4
Instructor

Still waiting for an allocation. *sigh*

Meanwhile, playing with the configurator has lead to options topping $21K. The new options are added is sport-tex seats, cf trim, sport chrono. oh well.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:14 PM
modifieda4
Instructor

hah! I received an email today that I got an allocation.

I'll post up my final config once I settle on it.
Vgj (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 08:58 AM
2018C718GTS
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice! I wish my car wasn’t speced with the heated multi function steering wheel.

the main audio controls are so close to your right hand already that it makes it no harder than it does on the wheel. Plus the steering wheel programmable skip button doesn’t even work with Apple CarPlay which I use all the time.
the heated button can accidentally be pressed and feels cheap to me.

I’d so much rather have the more pure steering wheel option.

2 zone climate is just plain dumb. If you’re hot, turn on cold. If you’re cold turn on hot. I don’t need to program an exact temp. Waste of money to me.

I do love ventilated seats tho. It’s only been a couple days since I bought mine in December that I’ve used them, but they’re so nice.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:33 AM
modifieda4
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2018C718GTS
Nice! I wish my car wasn’t speced with the heated multi function steering wheel.

the main audio controls are so close to your right hand already that it makes it no harder than it does on the wheel. Plus the steering wheel programmable skip button doesn’t even work with Apple CarPlay which I use all the time.
the heated button can accidentally be pressed and feels cheap to me.

I’d so much rather have the more pure steering wheel option.
agreed, im not getting a heated steering wheel. i dont have one now. my wife's outback has it and it is really a useless luxury. I think im the only one who uses it when i drive her car :P

Quick Reply: deposit placed on a Cayman S :)