Sponsored by:

Camber Plates vs LCAs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 02:49 AM
Omm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camber Plates vs LCAs?

I took my car in before a DE, and they were only able to get the front camber to -1.2 (-1.5 on the rear). It made a noticeable difference from the original setup of -.5 and -.6) and I want to go further. They said they would have liked to get to at least -1.8 or -2.0 and that they only way to do so would be with camber plates or lower control arms.

What are the pros and cons of going with one vs the other? I have a lot of warranty left on the car, and is one going to give more of a headache if I have to take the car into a dealership?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2019, 10:13 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Camber plates are the easy button. They should get you another -1 degree and cost/complexity is much less than LCA’s.

Peter
Old 10-24-2019, 10:28 AM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I have the Elephant Racing camber plates.
I'm at -2.4 front plus they add more caster than the OE top mounts which adds more dynamic camber
Old 10-24-2019, 01:40 PM
Omm
Intermediate

I like the easy button. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:51 PM
BRracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Omm
I like the easy button. Thanks.
There are several options for your car (this is Bruce from BRracing, I believe we did the change on your car).
The camber plates can be better...and easier, but they also bring another issue into the equation.
Most camber plates have upper "monoball" construction, and the upper monoballs are often undersized, and will wear prematurely, and then will start to make noise, rattle on every bump.
Some are designed better, have larger monoballs, and can provide longer wear, but are not fully adjustable in their camber / caster....they offer a fixed camber / caster adjustment.

The LCA (Lower Control Arms) can also have this same issue...the inner bushing can be solid, or can be rubber like stock lower control arms.
If solid, then tend to produce the same issues...wear prematurely. The stock Porsche GT3 adjustable arms run rubber inner bushings, and we have never had these wear out on a street / track car.

Lots more to this discussion.
There are differences in the amount of time needed to do the install.
If you run really high camber, and have adjustable LCA's, then likely you will need adjustable thrust arm bushings to deal w the caster.

Bruce
BRracing
The following users liked this post:
Omm (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 05:30 AM
Omm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BRracing
There are several options for your car (this is Bruce from BRracing, I believe we did the change on your car).
The camber plates can be better...and easier, but they also bring another issue into the equation.
Most camber plates have upper "monoball" construction, and the upper monoballs are often undersized, and will wear prematurely, and then will start to make noise, rattle on every bump.
Some are designed better, have larger monoballs, and can provide longer wear, but are not fully adjustable in their camber / caster....they offer a fixed camber / caster adjustment.
Hi Bruce. Yes, it's Valerie, with the white 718. I'm trying to educate myself on this. Do the Rennline camber plates offer any benefit in that regard over Elephant Racings?

I'll call or come by to talk about this in depth. It was good to see you on Saturday.

Quick Reply: Camber Plates vs LCAs?