Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for owners of boxters who chose black.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 10:58 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Question for owners of boxters who chose black.....

........do you have any regrets getting this color if you live in a hot weather climate?

I have my order in for a 718 Spyder and I'll have moved to Vegas by the time I have the car. I really want to love carrara white metallic but have a hard time loving white colors in general, and especially so with this car.
GT silver is the most logical choice for showing the lines and having a lighter color for the heat, but I've owned a 997.2 GTS cab in this color, and am not sure I want to go this direction again (although it's on the table).
I love chalk but am worried it will hide the lines.

I drove my buddy's 987 spyder about 6 years ago and never forgot how good it looked. I love black for the 718 version, but I'm concerned about having a black cab in a desert climate-- dust, dirt, HEAT, etc.
I'm **** and I have a feeling as much as I love black for this car, it will drive me crazy trying to keep it clean as well as dealing with the heat.

Any owners of darker colored boxters who live in Phoenix, Vegas, Palm springs, etc who regret going black, or conversely, are glad they made this choice?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:30 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

A shame Porsche doesn't offer ventilated seats in the 718 Spyder. I won't buy one because of it. Keeing my 981 GTS instead.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:31 AM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I have a Jet Black 718 and love the color in the sun when it's clean (I bought mine CPO and would not have chosen had I bought new though). It's not super hot here (CO) but the dust is pretty annoying. That's the rub, if you are **** about it looking good it will drive you nuts, mine gets dusty within a day of cleaning and I don't like the fact you have to be super careful about getting swirls, etc. Ceramic coating would help in keeping it clean easier but I'm going GT Silver on my Spyder, with Genetian Blue is my next color but need to see in person first. I do think the blue might be a good middle ground for a darker color but showing the lines well and not as hard to maintain as black, maybe?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:36 AM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 462 Likes on 262 Posts

Heat should not be a concern IMO. Every car will get hot in a sunny climate if left outside. Window tint and/or a sun shade will help to mitigate this but any car left outside in intense heat will get very hot.

As for keeping it clean and shiny, thats a whole other issue and something you must accept responsibility for as the owner of a black car. If you are obsessive about always having a perfectly clean car then black may not be the best choice. But if you are willing to put a little work into it then owning a black car can be very rewarding.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:58 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Owning a black car while in Las Vegas is equivalent to a condemned man in a brazen bull.
The following users liked this post:
rasetsu (09-07-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 02:22 PM
Steve48
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like you are a little OCD (like me ). I had a black car once (BMW M4) and it drove me crazy...bought it used, saw every swirl, scratch, etc...and just so hard to keep clean. I vowed never to do it again...
Old 09-06-2019, 04:56 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Owning a black car while in Las Vegas is equivalent to a condemned man in a brazen bull.
lol-- word
Old 09-06-2019, 05:00 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buckett76
I have a Jet Black 718 and love the color in the sun when it's clean (I bought mine CPO and would not have chosen had I bought new though). It's not super hot here (CO) but the dust is pretty annoying. That's the rub, if you are **** about it looking good it will drive you nuts, mine gets dusty within a day of cleaning and I don't like the fact you have to be super careful about getting swirls, etc. Ceramic coating would help in keeping it clean easier but I'm going GT Silver on my Spyder, with Genetian Blue is my next color but need to see in person first. I do think the blue might be a good middle ground for a darker color but showing the lines well and not as hard to maintain as black, maybe?
I am a blue car *****......my shelby GT350 is performance blue with black stripes and I love it. But........I just can't love this Gentian blue. I've stared at a ton of pics and I don't care for it. I'm amazed at the number of people on the color poll who don't agree and are ordering it in this color.

It has a bit of a purplish hue to it under certain colors, a bit like lapis blue did back in the day.
If Porsche offered a metallic blue that was closer to a cobalt or midnight blue, I would be all about it.

I'm trying to decide now between chalk -- which I love on the 991 and Macan-- or going back to GT silver.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bruinmd
I am a blue car *****......my shelby GT350 is performance blue with black stripes and I love it. But........I just can't love this Gentian blue. I've stared at a ton of pics and I don't care for it. I'm amazed at the number of people on the color poll who don't agree and are ordering it in this color.

It has a bit of a purplish hue to it under certain colors, a bit like lapis blue did back in the day.
If Porsche offered a metallic blue that was closer to a cobalt or midnight blue, I would be all about it.

I'm trying to decide now between chalk -- which I love on the 991 and Macan-- or going back to GT silver.
I looked at a GT Silver GT4 with black satin wheels to get a sense of this combo and in the sun it was awesome (good in the shade too), really shows off the lines and it's timeless. I agree on the blue, pictures are all over the place, just saw it on the new Taycan (online) and looks good but probably not ideal for the 718. I think the high ranking is simply because its the only 'new' option and the rest are a bit common, would be nice to have some additional colors or maybe they will do PTS later in the order schedule. My dealer had a Chalk 718 when I bought mine, I think it looks good up close but it's just too flat for my taste and figured I would be 'bored' of it quickly.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:29 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Had to look that one up:

Wikipedia:The brazen bull...was allegedly a torture and execution device designed in ancient Greece....as a new means of executing criminals.[2] The bull was said to be made entirely out of bronze, hollow, with a door in one side.[3] According to legends the brazen bull was designed in the form and size of an actual bull and had an acoustic apparatus that converted screams into the sound of a bull. The condemned were locked inside the device, and a fire was set under it, heating the metal until the person inside was roasted to death.

Glad I don't have a black car LOL
Old 09-06-2019, 10:39 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buckett76
I looked at a GT Silver GT4 with black satin wheels to get a sense of this combo and in the sun it was awesome (good in the shade too), really shows off the lines and it's timeless. I agree on the blue, pictures are all over the place, just saw it on the new Taycan (online) and looks good but probably not ideal for the 718. I think the high ranking is simply because its the only 'new' option and the rest are a bit common, would be nice to have some additional colors or maybe they will do PTS later in the order schedule. My dealer had a Chalk 718 when I bought mine, I think it looks good up close but it's just too flat for my taste and figured I would be 'bored' of it quickly.
I would love to be able to see chalk and GT silver side by side. I agree that from a distance, the GT silver will definitely show the lines better than chalk, but I love the latter color on other Porsche models.......... just not sure about the Spyder. If I went with silver, I would definitely get the black satin wheels. The silver wheels that it comes with don't actually match the body paint color, per my dealer. If they did, I would consider sticking with those.

I saw a video of Carrara metallic white and it actually looked pretty good. With black wheels, it could look sharp.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:44 PM
jimmex
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I live out on a ranch and have a black 340I. I would never choose this color as it gets dusty and shows it immediately and all the small blemishes are greatly magnified.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:49 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bruinmd
........do you have any regrets getting this color if you live in a hot weather climate?

I have my order in for a 718 Spyder and I'll have moved to Vegas by the time I have the car. I really want to love carrara white metallic but have a hard time loving white colors in general, and especially so with this car.
GT silver is the most logical choice for showing the lines and having a lighter color for the heat, but I've owned a 997.2 GTS cab in this color, and am not sure I want to go this direction again (although it's on the table).
I love chalk but am worried it will hide the lines.

I drove my buddy's 987 spyder about 6 years ago and never forgot how good it looked. I love black for the 718 version, but I'm concerned about having a black cab in a desert climate-- dust, dirt, HEAT, etc.
I'm **** and I have a feeling as much as I love black for this car, it will drive me crazy trying to keep it clean as well as dealing with the heat.

Any owners of darker colored boxters who live in Phoenix, Vegas, Palm springs, etc who regret going black, or conversely, are glad they made this choice?
We had a triple black 2013 and sold it just because the heat in Texas with it made it insanely hot. Wife burned her hands on it one day. Now, all the cars are white. (also because black + Texas Pollen = greenish car)
Old 09-19-2019, 06:54 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've only owned convertibles my entire life, and I put the top down a lot (like 1/3 of the time I'm driving). The only thing more objectionable to a black exterior is a black interior (which is a shame, b/c the latter works so well with some of the more interesting colors). Having learned that lesson the hard way, either of them (for me) is a complete deal breaker when looking at a car.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:27 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Having lived in Vegas, black is the last color I would want although I did bring a metallic black Z4M Coupe from Germany to there, which I sold shortly thereafter and purchased my first 997 S (guards red). Cars stay clean-er pretty long there typically unless it rains, but black will really show the dust. White cars are very common there. Good luck finding a white car in the middle of a large parking lot. Personally if I was going to order a 718 Spyder I'd get a color the 981 Spyder didn't come in. Else, what have you gained? The extra power, GT suspension, aero improvements--none can be taken advantage of in Vegas since the roads there have zero grip. In fact, at 2000+ ft above sea level, you'd be better off with a turbo. Enjoy Cars and Coffee on Eastern Blvd on the edge of Henderson. Get there early since people start leaving around 9am once it starts getting hot (less Dec, Jan).

Quick Reply: Question for owners of boxters who chose black.....