Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth waiting until early next year for 718 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 04:21 PM
jayely1
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Worth waiting until early next year for 718 GTS?

I couldn't decide between the M2 or the 718 GTS, but I think I finally made my decision. Now my biggest concern is if it's worth waiting until early next year for the 2018's-19's to come down in price (i'd buy used most likely) and with the GT3 coming out.

I really like this one, but i'm unsure if it's worth the price tag at this time. Any advise would be very much appreciated!

https://www.mckennaporsche.com/new/P...617c94c367.htm

Old 10-19-2019, 01:58 PM
jayely1
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 106 Posts

Any opinions on what this car should be priced at??
Old 10-19-2019, 03:01 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Looks like it’s still new. So it’s been sitting over a year. 15% off MSRP is a really good deal on a current-year brand new car. Non-GT4, non-Spyder 718s are going be at least another year of waiting. If you like the build make them an offer. Since this is about to be a two-model-year old car, they might be willing to take a slight loss to make it go away. If you really like it don’t let a couple of kay-dollars on the deal prevent you from driving a Porsche for another three years when ‘21 GTSs are available CPO.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:59 PM
ynguldyn
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me throw a little wrench into this process: M2 CS will be officially announced on 11/6.
The following users liked this post:
wdr911 (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 06:24 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

718 owner here. Any thoughts to a GT4? Around the same price and there are a few CPO now.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:15 AM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Honestly the 718 GTS is a better car in almost every measurable way except sound. 0-60, handling, updated features etc. but it isn’t holding value well - which means it’s a good time to buy. 15% off a new PORSCHE is unheard of. The new GT4 will be amazing but I spec’d one out and for the same setup as my GTS (I paid $82K so over $12K off MSRP) and it was close to $112K. That’s a $30K difference
Old 10-20-2019, 04:53 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 850 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by mdr911
Honestly the 718 GTS is a better car in almost every measurable way except sound. 0-60, handling, updated features etc. but it isn’t holding value well - which means it’s a good time to buy. 15% off a new PORSCHE is unheard of. The new GT4 will be amazing but I spec’d one out and for the same setup as my GTS (I paid $82K so over $12K off MSRP) and it was close to $112K. That’s a $30K difference
lightly used ones are going in 70s, and I've even seen one listed at 6x, it's literally best bang for the buck of the porsche world. I just sold one late summer for a 991.2 gts, but man at this price point I'm so tempted to add one back
Old 10-20-2019, 09:31 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 546 Posts

Agree with others - that car is a good deal and priced well. It is very highly optioned with a combination opf performance and comfort/luxury items. MSRP is about as high as one could get a 718 CGTS, the current asking price is at about an average optioned GTS goes for.The only think to ask yourself is whether or not you like/want all those options. As you're probably aware, highly optioned cars depreciate more than moderately optioned ones.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:03 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Agree with others - that car is a good deal and priced well. It is very highly optioned with a combination opf performance and comfort/luxury items. MSRP is about as high as one could get a 718 CGTS, the current asking price is at about an average optioned GTS goes for.The only think to ask yourself is whether or not you like/want all those options. As you're probably aware, highly optioned cars depreciate more than moderately optioned ones.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say highly optioned cars depreciate more than moderately optioned ones. The car depreciates at the same rate whether highly optioned or not - if you're meaning is that the options do not add value - then I agree. Very few options add to the used value of a car, exceptions are options like PDK. As to the car in question, it is a 2018 - the 2019's have been out for a year already and model year switchover coming in the spring. The price seems fair but I would check to see when the warranty runs out, new car warranty is 4 years.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:46 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by michael818
I'm not sure what you mean when you say highly optioned cars depreciate more than moderately optioned ones. The car depreciates at the same rate whether highly optioned or not - if you're meaning is that the options do not add value - then I agree. Very few options add to the used value of a car, exceptions are options like PDK. As to the car in question, it is a 2018 - the 2019's have been out for a year already and model year switchover coming in the spring. The price seems fair but I would check to see when the warranty runs out, new car warranty is 4 years.

It's brand new so the warranty will start when the car is sold and end in 4 years.

Price is good, if you want the car buy, it an enjoy it. I picked up my GTS at a great discount end of last year and really like the car a lot. Had a 14 981S, the 18 is so much more car. Also enjoy the 6 speed.

Last edited by Todd B; 10-20-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:15 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Maybe a matter of semantics - highly optioned cars depreciate MORE than strippers, maybe not FASTER - the point being that the buyer demographic in secondary market is narrowed and folks who don't want all that stuff will not pay for it. The fact that it is highly optioned also accounts for the generous e-price the dealer is offering now. Their margin on options is higher than their margin on the base car. If this was a stripper, it would a) be unlikely to still be on the lot and b) not be offered at this deep discount.

In any event, great car at a great price. Hope you get it and enjoy it.

Last edited by ldamelio; 10-20-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Looks like it’s still new. So it’s been sitting over a year. 15% off MSRP is a really good deal on a current-year brand new car. Non-GT4, non-Spyder 718s are going be at least another year of waiting. If you like the build make them an offer. Since this is about to be a two-model-year old car, they might be willing to take a slight loss to make it go away. If you really like it don’t let a couple of kay-dollars on the deal prevent you from driving a Porsche for another three years when ‘21 GTSs are available CPO.
Very good advice. Pull the trigger
The following users liked this post:
Underblu (10-23-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 06:29 PM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd B
It's brand new so the warranty will start when the car is sold and end in 4 years.

Price is good, if you want the car buy, it an enjoy it. I picked up my GTS at a great discount end of last year and really like the car a lot. Had a 14 981S, the 18 is so much more car. Also enjoy the 6 speed.
Not necessarily, warranty starts when car is put in service by the dealer, not necessarily when it is sold. Again, check to see when the warranty was started.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:40 PM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Maybe a matter of semantics - highly optioned cars depreciate MORE than strippers, maybe not FASTER - the point being that the buyer demographic in secondary market is narrowed and folks who don't want all that stuff will not pay for it. The fact that it is highly optioned also accounts for the generous e-price the dealer is offering now. Their margin on options is higher than their margin on the base car. If this was a stripper, it would a) be unlikely to still be on the lot and b) not be offered at this deep discount.

In any event, great car at a great price. Hope you get it and enjoy it.
well, I still disagree with you. The options become almost free on resale. Unless you want a car specifically for track use why would you turn down a better radio or sport exhaust? The loss is to the original buyer.

I honestly think that this car is slightly overpriced since it is almost 2 years old, new or not. The buyers depreciation will be based on model year not when it was bought. I would offer less than the asking price to the dealer. most dealers were offering 10 to 15% off on GTS orders before production was stopped on the 2019’s.i think that the original price is boosted because the dealer priced out the options separately rather than part of the premium package, which would make the list price lower.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:14 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

well, I still disagree with you. The loss is to the original buyer.

Precisely. OP would be the original buyer and would have to sell at a relative loss in the secondary market. We appear to be saying the same thing, but if you see it differently, so be it.

Quick Reply: Worth waiting until early next year for 718 GTS?