Sponsored by:

Cruise Control in the way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 02:12 PM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cruise Control in the way?

Hi everyone! New 718 Cayman S owner, and first time Porsche owner also. I'm pretty tall (6'1") with long legs, and I like to sit fairly close to the wheel. I'm finding that occasionally on gear changes, my knee is bumping the cruise control lever. Does anyone else have this issue? Does a vendor make an offset lever of any type, or a complete relocation kit?

I tried a little searching, and it doesn't seem that anyone has mentioned this before, so maybe it's just my problem to get used to...
Old 12-18-2018, 12:51 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

?Move both the wheel and the seat rearwards?

(I sometimes want to steer with my knee when changing glasses, but can't do it in the Boxster--too much stuff in the way.)
Old 12-21-2018, 07:48 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 546 Posts

Ditto. Respectfully, you're sitting way too forward. I'm 6'1" also and this isn't remotely a concern.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:12 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Ditto. Respectfully, you're sitting way too forward. I'm 6'1" also and this isn't remotely a concern.
Respectfully, driver position is pretty individual. I have many years of competitive driving experience, so I know the proper seating position and distance for my best performance and comfort. Again, it's not a huge issue, and I can live with it. I just figured there are much taller guys than me driving these cars who may also think the lever is a little on the low side. So, I was hopeful that there might be a simple solution. No worries, though.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:28 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Likewise, wasn't trying to offend and wasn't aware of your level of experience which far outweighs mine. Regards.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:42 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Likewise, wasn't trying to offend and wasn't aware of your level of experience which far outweighs mine. Regards.
Not offended, just letting you know I'm not crazy. Here's a little story, if you're interested...

My driving experience started with autocross about 17 years ago. I attended a driving school in 2003, with a Honda S2000. The format was, we started with a few timed runs on our own, before any instruction, to familiarize ourselves with the course and set some baseline times to improve upon. Then the instructor started giving you things to work on, one at a time. The first thing he instructed me to do was ALWAYS control the wheel. Never let the car bring itself back to straight, by letting the wheel slide in your hands. The second thing he made me do was to slide my seat way forward and tilt it more upright. His explanation was as follows:

"If you have to carry a stack of books, do you hold it out way out here?" (extending his arms way out) "Or, do you hold it close to your body, like this?" (bringing the imaginary stack of books in towards his body, with a nice bend in his elbows) "You have much more strength and control in here, and will be much more accurate and smooth with your inputs if you're not reaching to make it work."

I've never forgotten those two improvements as being the most significant in improving my driving. Just some food for thought.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:58 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Got it and makes sense. Looking forward to more instruction and track time in the spring.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:51 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

I need to see a cutaway of this driving position in action!
Old 12-21-2018, 03:12 PM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamecock718
"If you have to carry a stack of books, do you hold it out way out here?" (extending his arms way out) "Or, do you hold it close to your body, like this?" (bringing the imaginary stack of books in towards his body, with a nice bend in his elbows) "You have much more strength and control in here, and will be much more accurate and smooth with your inputs if you're not reaching to make it work."
I learnt the same seating position earlier this year while racing some Mustang GTs at the Ford Performance Racing School. It made a considerable improvement in both my stamina and my ability to finely control the wheel. The Entry and Drive option's Comfort Entry feature makes it a lot easier to get in/out when sitting this close to the wheel.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I need to see a cutaway of this driving position in action!

Left foot on dead-pedal.

Left foot on clutch pedal, at top of travel.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:30 PM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Cropped, brightened and filtered for visial of how close my knee is to the cruise control switch.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:25 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

That is hilarious.

Being 5’6” I have little sympathy for your dilemma.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:07 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
That is hilarious.

Being 5’6” I have little sympathy for your dilemma.
LOL, c'mon man, I'm dealing with some first world problems here.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:58 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamecock718
Respectfully, driver position is pretty individual. I have many years of competitive driving experience, so I know the proper seating position and distance for my best performance and comfort. Again, it's not a huge issue, and I can live with it. I just figured there are much taller guys than me driving these cars who may also think the lever is a little on the low side. So, I was hopeful that there might be a simple solution. No worries, though.
Same height but not long legged and no problems for me. On our 911 race cars we would cut the windshield washer stalk so we wouldn't accidentally turn on the wipers mid turn. You try that trick but probably not the best option. Can you raise the steering wheel slightly, or lower the seat more?
Old 12-24-2018, 02:59 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pick up a replacement column stalk assembly, cut the cruise control lever off and install. (Keep the original for resale.)
You'll lose cruise control as a function, but if you don't use it much....
Someone did this on their 993: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...rol-stalk.html

Quick Reply: Cruise Control in the way?