Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 Cayman T

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 03:13 PM
srcn
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I test drove a 718GTS and absolutely loved it. My dealer has a chalk Cayman GTS I keep looking at. But $90k is a big chunk of change, even though dynamically it's superior to my 997 X51 (which is still very satisfying to drive).

I feel like the best way to have the 2.0 is with PDK so you can really keep the turbo on boil. I'm curious to drive one. Though even the GTS I drove I was able to catch flat footed.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:37 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
TheSmokingTire did an honest comparison of a significantly modded GT4 vs. a stock 718 GTS, and under most circumstances, he said he would choose the 718.
Another good one was Motor Trend's video on the 718 Cayman S when it debuted. They brought along Lieberman's buddy's GT4 and had Randy run them back-to-back on Streets of Willow. The GT4 lapped 1.6 seconds faster. BUT... the GT4 was running R compound tires. Randy said if if you put Pilot Sport 2s on the 718 S it would have been faster than the GT4.

The 718 is a monster, and appropriately faster than ALL the Boxsters/Caymans that preceded it. Doesn't make it *better* than all the cars that preceded it though. Not when you take the experience as a whole. To each his own, and horses for courses. It's why folks are still nuts about air-cooled 911s.

I have one gloriously-wailing NA flat six and one torque-rich turbo. Appreciate both of them.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928

THIS IS THE HYPERBOLE POLICE: Put down the bong, back away slowly and come out with your hands up.

Golf R is about 400 pounds heaver with slightly less bhp. AWD only in VW’s nose-heavy understeering econbox platform. Crappy seats and ergonomics with an engine that doesn’t sound as good as the 718 flat-4.

In what fantasy world do the Golf R and Cayman Base have the same performance?

Identical power, sounds way better, better seats that in any of Porsches except the LWBS in my Spyder, AWD and a good $40,000 cheaper. And the suspension on the Golf R is a marvel. Yes a base Cayman would spank it on a race track for sure, as the Golf is still a econobox at heart, but in the real world, $80k for 2.0 4 cylinder that sounds like a vacuum cleaner that just sucked up a pile of bolts? That's a challenging proposition. And, I'm sorry, but the sound the Golf R makes inside (enhanced) and outside the car is way better than the 718. If Porsche would just tone down all the phony burbling nonsense, they might be able to make the 718 actually sound good. It can be done, why they went the route they did is beyond me.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:07 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Identical power,
When you start a rebuttal with something that is demonstrably false it's difficult to take anything afterwards seriously.

Golf R is 288bhp at 3373 pounds for a power ratio of 11.7 lbs/bhp
718 is 300bhp at 2944 pounds for a power ratio of 9.8 lbs/bhp.

718 specs are from Porsche's site.
Golf R power is from VW's website. The Golf R is so heavy - for what it is - that VW doesn't even post the weight, you have to google for it.

If you're going to persist in claiming that 11.7 = 9.8 then post a reference.

Last that $40,000 price difference is notional in the real world. In the Northeast ADMs of $10k were common on the Golf R models - if you could even find one that wasn't sold already - in past years, while plenty of 718s can be had, now, at a >10% discount. If you don't need a ton of options on your 718 the real world price difference is closer to 10-15K out-the-door before tax, title, and other dealer B.S.

I'm not a VW hater: we've had three Golfs and two other VWs over the years. If you need four doors and want to blend-in completely then the Golf R is great.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:41 AM
NOVA718
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman T pricing

Looks like it is up on the configurator for all the European countries. Curious to see what it turns out to be here.

It does appear to be a GTS-lite. All the track day goodies but with the base engine. Should be a great track day car. I was all set to go the M2 Comp route, but the Cayman T makes me think twice. It weighs 650 pounds less than the BMW and will probably ring in about $25k less than the GTS. Could be a sweet spot.

It might sound like crap, but it wont break the bank and it's a car that should be easier to drive at the limit.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:23 PM
cracknut
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NOVA718
Looks like it is up on the configurator for all the European countries. Curious to see what it turns out to be here.

It does appear to be a GTS-lite. All the track day goodies but with the base engine. Should be a great track day car. I was all set to go the M2 Comp route, but the Cayman T makes me think twice. It weighs 650 pounds less than the BMW and will probably ring in about $25k less than the GTS. Could be a sweet spot.

It might sound like crap, but it wont break the bank and it's a car that should be easier to drive at the limit.

This. My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:34 PM
NOVA718
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cracknut
This. My thoughts exactly.
Wow, that might be a first.

Also for what it is worth. My opinions on Transmissions and Golf R. I have been a life long dyed in the wool manual guy. My last three cars over 23 years have all been manuals. But the next one will be a PDK. We have owned '15 and '18 Golf Rs. We do motorsports, Autocross/PDX/Time Trials. The dual clutch/PDK (and the launch control for AX) is amazing. I totally agree that a manual transmission is more engaging (no doubt about that), but it will make you slower against the clock compared to a dual clutch tranny.

The Golf R is a relative bargain. Similar HP/Torque to a base Cayman. It is 350# heavier and obviously doesn't handle as well. But it does have all wheel drive and kicks RWD cars in the *** in the wet [and (4) 6 feet tall people can ride in it]. It also comes standard with about $10K worth of thinks that are options on any Porsche. Not a sports car for sure. A pretty decent motorsports car, but also great for road trips and as a daily.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:12 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 121 Posts

I just came across some new spy pics of what appears to be the soon to be revealed 718 Cayman T. It's hard to tell from these pics if the front bumper is any different from the GTS, but it definitely has a different rear diffuser with the tail pipes spread out similar to the 718 GT4 images we've seen.

Here's some more info and additional spy shots:
https://www.motor1.com/news/273297/p...n-t-spy-shots/
Now that we've seen the official release of the Cayman T and the 718 GT4 Clubsport, what do we think this car is? It has a different rear diffuser than the GT4/Spyder and it's obviously not the T. Could it be the GT4 Touring? Maybe a 718 Cayman R?
Old 01-04-2019, 06:30 PM
srcn
Instructor

Now that we've seen the official release of the Cayman T and the 718 GT4 Clubsport, what do we think this car is? It has a different rear diffuser than the GT4/Spyder and it's obviously not the T. Could it be the GT4 Touring? Maybe a 718 Cayman R?
GT4 Touring is my guess.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:49 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone know when the US pricing/configurator will be up?
Old 01-16-2019, 11:55 PM
NOVA718
Intermediate

No. I am somewhat suprised. Pretty confident it will come to US, but no guarantee?
Old 01-18-2019, 07:45 PM
srcn
Instructor

No. I am somewhat suprised. Pretty confident it will come to US, but no guarantee?
My sales guy said the Cayman/Boxster T will be coming to the U.S, and that the dealership has been getting tons of interest in them.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:59 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 426 Likes on 186 Posts

I loved my go in a GTS, but I think this option (Cayman T) would be my pick of the 718’s.
718 is a great car no matter the spec, IMO. The car handles amazingly.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:33 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 121 Posts

Autoweek is reporting that Porsche does not plan to offer the 718 T here in North American.

https://autoweek.com/article/geneva-...s-coming-march
Old 02-18-2019, 05:04 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Autoweek is reporting that Porsche does not plan to offer the 718 T here in North American.

https://autoweek.com/article/geneva-...s-coming-march
Bummer. Was not excited about the Boxster/Cayman T like I am the 911 T, but still would have liked to have seen it stateside.

Maybe the States traded offering the Boxster/Cayman T in favor of offering the Boxster/Cayman 6.

Quick Reply: 718 Cayman T