Sponsored by:

Skene license bracket on 718 Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 06:51 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Skene license bracket on 718 Cayman GTS

I posted this on the 718 Forum but hoping to maybe get some additional input.

I have a Platypus license bracket mounted on my GTS that generally has been working well. I say generally because is frequently (but not always) sets off the proximity sensor - which is kind of irritating - and it also blocks half of the marker light on that side of the bumper which kind of messes up the aesthetics of that side. I'll be unfortunately sending it back but need to replace with something else. Skene comes highly recommended also. So, has anyone here mounted the Skene license bracket onto their 718 Cayman GTS? If so, what size bracket did you use? How well did it work with the 2-level bumper? ie: The slightly curved bumper overrides the radiator cowling, creating a non-flat, 2-level, surface underside.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2018, 11:48 AM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My BS is still on a boat, but when it arrives I plan on picking one of these up (link below). I saw them elsewhere on this forum and looks to be the best option (keeps it centered, secure, and removable).
http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product...plate-bracket/
Old 08-28-2018, 01:49 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Originally Posted by Wine.o
My BS is still on a boat, but when it arrives I plan on picking one of these up (link below). I saw them elsewhere on this forum and looks to be the best option (keeps it centered, secure, and removable).
http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product...plate-bracket/
It looks interesting but I don't like the single point of failure. Lose one, lose it all.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:23 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Previous thread on the topic.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...e-options.html

In re the single point of failure... I'd agree, although all of the reviews have been so positive (and over tested). Besides, to me the only thing more ruinous to the sleek nose of the 718 than a front plate, is an off-center one. Tow hook options are out for me... I'd sooner get the bumper drilled.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:42 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Originally Posted by Wine.o
Previous thread on the topic.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...e-options.html

In re the single point of failure... I'd agree, although all of the reviews have been so positive (and over tested). Besides, to me the only thing more ruinous to the sleek nose of the 718 than a front plate, is an off-center one. Tow hook options are out for me... I'd sooner get the bumper drilled.
Re drilling, I am almost there myself. Btw, there was a thread recently on one of the forums from someone who did lose their plate. Maybe not assembled properly but no matter, its always a risk.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:27 PM
msacks
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been waiting on the Sto N Sho from Big Mikes Performance, but it seems to be taking forever.

I just called them, and they said maybe two or three weeks, but I called them about a month ago and they told me that then. They are a really small shop, Mike does all the fitment himself and I get the impression he's overwhelmed with requests.

Maybe if the got enough inquiries from us, they move on this a bit faster.

For now, I'm just running rouge (plate is in the glove box). Yesterday, I drove by two cops standing on the roadway with radar guns pointing right at me, and they couldn't have cared less. If I do get pulled over, I'll whip out the plate, set it on the dash, and tell the cop I'm waiting on parts from Porsche in Germany, and the mounting brackets are on back order. My alternate story is "Stupid Porsche, things are always falling off this car, worst purchase I've ever made"
Old 08-28-2018, 03:38 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by msacks
I've been waiting on the Sto N Sho from Big Mikes Performance, but it seems to be taking forever.
My fear on a set up like this is that if the bracket caught on something that it could damage the floor pan.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:27 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
My fear on a set up like this is that if the bracket caught on something that it could damage the floor pan.
Right. This would be at the lowest point of the front end. I would think that bottoming out with that attached could do major damage to the underside.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:58 PM
msacks
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanMatt
Right. This would be at the lowest point of the front end. I would think that bottoming out with that attached could do major damage to the underside.
Hadn’t considered that, thanks!
Old 08-29-2018, 11:09 AM
CaymanMatt
Racer

I posted this on the 718 Forum but hoping to maybe get some additional input.

I have a Platypus license bracket mounted on my GTS that generally has been working well. I say generally because is frequently (but not always) sets off the proximity sensor - which is kind of irritating - and it also blocks half of the marker light on that side of the bumper which kind of messes up the aesthetics of that side. I'll be unfortunately sending it back but need to replace with something else. Skene comes highly recommended also. So, has anyone here mounted the Skene license bracket onto their 718 Cayman GTS? If so, what size bracket did you use? How well did it work with the 2-level bumper? ie: The slightly curved bumper overrides the radiator cowling, creating a non-flat, 2-level, surface underside.

Thanks!
So, to try to get this back on track, has anyone mounted a Skene bracket to a 718 Cayman GTS or for that matter to a 718 Boxster GTS? Maybe to a non-GTS 718 Cayman or Boxster? If so, what size bracket was used?
Old 08-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Amiroquai
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, to try to get this back on track, has anyone mounted a Skene bracket to a 718 Cayman GTS or for that matter to a 718 Boxster GTS? Maybe to a non-GTS 718 Cayman or Boxster? If so, what size bracket was used?
I ordered short for my GTS and it fits great. I don't see how any other size woukd work except for maybe the XS. However, with the XS you'd be forced to have the license plate sitting uncomfortably close to the bumper. Get short.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:40 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Originally Posted by Amiroquai
I ordered short for my GTS and it fits great. I don't see how any other size woukd work except for maybe the XS. However, with the XS you'd be forced to have the license plate sitting uncomfortably close to the bumper. Get short.
This is the info I was looking for. Thank you very much!
Old 08-31-2018, 02:07 PM
wriggly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a few pics of your installation, how close it sits to the bumper etc?
Old 09-02-2018, 09:17 PM
Amiroquai
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wriggly

Can you post a few pics of your installation, how close it sits to the bumper etc?
If I remember correctly, the license plate sits about 3/4" from the the front bumper on the center (the closest point). That's with the two short size Skene mounting brackets mounted as deep as you can mount them on the underside of the GTS' black valance. There are two levels on the underside of the black valance and you cannot mount the bracket on both. You just mount the brackets on the outer (closer to the front) level of the valance. By doing so, and adjusting the angel of the license plate bracket, you get a 3/4" or so space between the license plate and front of bumper. The plate is centered and was adjusted to match the vertical position of the plate if the OEM plate bracket was used.

More tips: I upgraded the included double-sided tape with 3M VHB for better adhesion and used a smaller drill bit than the one included in the package so that the self-tapping screws go in a little tighter.
I also used blue threadlocker on all adjustment points of the bracket and added additional rubber bumpers for additional peace of mind. The mount is now solid, even with a metal license plate frame. There is hardly any flex on it.

hard to get a good side/top shots of if but here are some photos anyway:

Old 09-02-2018, 09:27 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

If I remember correctly, the license plate sits about 3/4" from the the front bumper on the center (the closest point). That's with the two short size Skene mounting brackets mounted as deep as you can mount them on the underside of the GTS' black valance. There are two levels on the underside of the black valance and you cannot mount the bracket on both. You just mount the brackets on the outer (closer to the front) level of the valance. By doing so, and adjusting the angel of the license plate bracket, you get a 3/4" or so space between the license plate and front of bumper. The plate is centered and was adjusted to match the vertical position of the plate if the OEM plate bracket was used.

More tips: I upgraded the included double-sided tape with 3M VHB for better adhesion and used a smaller drill bit than the one included in the package so that the self-tapping screws go in a little tighter.
I also used blue threadlocker on all adjustment points of the bracket and added additional rubber bumpers for additional peace of mind. The mount is now solid, even with a metal license plate frame. There is hardly any flex on it.

hard to get a good side/top shots of if but here are some photos anyway:

Thank you. This is great information. Can you possibly post a photo of the underside?

Quick Reply: Skene license bracket on 718 Cayman GTS