Sponsored by:

Opinion on this car

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:25 PM
PoorManWantsFun
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on this car

What would be a good price out the door in southern Calif?

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...+White+1319939

CPO in plain english is 6/100K miles from the sales of the original sold date (to first owner)? Covers bumper to bumper? Thanks guys.

Sales tax rate is 9.5%

Currently owns a 2016 MX5 ND..
Old 08-17-2018, 07:31 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I haven't been lasered in on the 718 market but their asking price seems pretty reasonable.

A couple things about that car though, they are up front that it was a service loaner. I wouldn't consider that a huge deal because the general expectation is that people who can afford having their Porsche serviced at a dealer aren't the types to hoon out loaner vehicles- but it is something to be aware of that some people may not have treated it as their own while they were driving it. Don't expect it to have been babied and broken in perfectly according to manufacturer spec (I was granted a service loaner that had 11 miles on it just this past spring)... but then again I don't think very many are broken in "properly" anyway; it's hard to just get a consensus on what that even means according to Porsche or the owners on this very forum. The CPO warranty should be more than enough to give you lasting peace of mind though. It is basically unchanged from the factory warranty, and covers everything. There may be some exceptions but to my experience it's comprehensive.

Also the spec of that car is about as bare bones as it gets. Seems like the only options are Bose and entry and drive. Again that's just fine because it doesn't affect what makes the 718 a great driver's car, but I'd poke around on autotrader or the Porsche CPO finder for comparable cars and use what you can for negotiation.

From what other folks on here have suggested, it shouldn't be too difficult to work out a substantial discount, but each dealer has their own tolerance for that based on several variables and this is a used car so they've already factored in for depreciation. For example, if it was only listed for sale this week and it's the lowest priced car with a CPO warranty in the country, they probably won't move very much on the price.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:51 PM
nodnarb204
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd recommend finding '17 with more options and similar miles, and not a loaner. No changes between the two years.
Value isn't holding, especially with non-S so lots of deals on '17s out there.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:55 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes, Porsche CPO is 6 yrs/100K miles from original date warranty was started or two years from the time you purchase, whichever is longer. It is the same warranty coverage as the new vehicle warranty and has no copay/deductible. It is a good warranty.

I agree the price is reasonable but no doubt they have room. In my experience, they always have room. Whether or not you can get it is a different question. Some buyers negotiate better than other. Some dealers will take a deal today to move cars others are willing to sit and wait. Only one way to find out.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:12 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Service loaners make me nervous too. Hard accelerations on a cold engine. Numerous fills with 87 octane and hot weather driving. Never waxed, Leather never cleaned and conditioned etc.

I would recommend the 14-way seats too, especially if you are over 6'. Another thing to think about is that if you can negotiate $5K off a new custom order with only the options you want, there might not be much of a price difference.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:52 PM
PoorManWantsFun
7th Gear

Thanks guys. I am going to wait and find a manual. I like to row my own gears.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:57 PM
PoorManWantsFun
7th Gear

Is there a site that I can just search for (entire state) inventory? The current one on porsche site places you to nearest region and finding a manual on the lot is difficult.

Trending Topics

Old 08-18-2018, 03:01 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would suggest ordering, as finding a manual is (as you know) is tough. I ended up ordering '17 718 Cayman with only Bose, Premium (14-way), and 18" Boxster wheels. List was $60K with a pre-negotiated price of $55K. I did have to wait a full 6 months from placing my order until driving off of the dealer lot....., but I did not have to pay for options I did not want (Nav, 19"-20" wheels etc.)
Old 08-18-2018, 11:01 PM
lakespeed
Intermediate

If you are buying used, the Porsche certified will allow you to search the entire country or miles from your zip code. Car Guru and others do the same. I bought a certified 718 bs from an out of state dealer and it worked great."
Old 08-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorManWantsFun
Is there a site that I can just search for (entire state) inventory? The current one on porsche site places you to nearest region and finding a manual on the lot is difficult.
I’m not sure if you’re using this site but if you enter your zip code, then select a mileage range you should be able to search dealers local to you.

Also select “ Detailed Search “ and Transmission as well as any other options you may want.

Good Luck.

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...5B%5D=cayman_s
Old 08-31-2018, 12:15 PM
Mbern
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP's link does not work for me so I cant see the car. I just bough my first Porsche this week. Its a 2018 718 non-S PDK that was a service loaner with 2k miles on it. Hope I don't regret that. I figure the CPO warranty would cover me for any problems. Wish me luck
Old 08-31-2018, 12:38 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Good luck.

I've bought a few low mileage CPO cars from Porsche. Never had a problem. I think a newer car with CPO is a great value. I prefer not to buy new if I can find what I want CPO.

Quick Reply: Opinion on this car