Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options Madness (Climate Question)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 03:19 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Options Madness (Climate Question)

Debating the auto climate control function now as well for the future BS. Does anyone know how the auto function handles the top being put down? In my BMW, I frequently find myself attempting to voice command, "Just blow some damn hot air," and start wondering why they had to automate such a simple concept. When you lower the lid on your boxster, does the car still try to make it 72? Does the fan speed automatically change? (I feel like I'm talking myself into a $770 savings as I type this.) Thanks everyone for the insight as always.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:07 PM
duegatti
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, there's two ways to do it that I know of, and I've only really used one. Automatic and manual. I've done manual, where I set temperature (usually something like 72), fan speed, and which vents are involved. Since I never get to 72, that's a pretty static, steady state situation. I've put it on automatic for a few moments a couple of times - it seems like it starts blowing super hard. But I did not run like that for any length of time, so I can't tell you what it's going to do over time.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:17 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wine.o
When you lower the lid on your boxster, does the car still try to make it 72? Does the fan speed automatically change?
Yes, it does actually try to compensate for the changing conditions. But I have found that the airflow pattern out of the vents is completely different with the top down at highway speeds. So I aim them accordingly for most of my driving (top down) and leave the vents alone until winter, when I might want a little more heat on my hands for example. Another tip, there is a vehicle setting buried in the menu (I have a 981 but I imagine the 718 is similar) that lets you adjust 2 other aspects of the climate control system: 1) You can adjust the fan speed in greater increments/ranges (the default is medium flow, but I changed mine to max airflow because I found the medium does not keep up in terms of comfort during the hot summer months). 2) You can turn those upper-facing vents that are actually a few inches ahead of the dash vents. So far I haven't noticed much of a difference with the top down (too much cabin turbulence makes for marginal direction of airflow).
Old 06-19-2019, 04:55 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Question: if you do not opt for dual zone climate control, do you get automatic climate control but not dual zone, or do you not get to set the temp to a specific temperature by degree?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Question: if you do not opt for dual zone climate control, do you get automatic climate control but not dual zone, or do you not get to set the temp to a specific temperature by degree?
No, on the manual AC there’s no temp by degree setting. Just manual temp Hot-Cold and fan speed.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:43 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Thank you.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:25 AM
spyder fan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trust me. You MUST get the dual zone climate control!
Old 06-27-2019, 11:09 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder fan
Trust me. You MUST get the dual zone climate control!
Agree. You don't want to be fiddling with the temp controls. A/C is just another area where a Porsche base car is a zero frills car.

Quick Reply: Options Madness (Climate Question)