Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options Madness (Keyless Question)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Options Madness (Keyless Question)

With my build freeze date rapidly approaching on my MY19 BS, I went to the showroom to make sure I had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. Can't thank Brett Payne of Porsche Marin enough (yep.. shameless plug) for talking me into one or two things, but out of a whole bunch of things that ultimately don't matter much. When I left, my car was even better suited to me and a big chunk cheaper than what first went to the factory. The only removal I'm a little on the fence about is the keyless entry & drive (I had to drop the premium plus package b/c of a seat change). I know everyone's usage and tastes are different, but as this won't be just a track toy for me... Has anyone NOT gotten the keyless entry and found they regretted it later?
Thx
Old 06-25-2018, 02:16 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Wine.o
With my build freeze date rapidly approaching on my MY19 BS, I went to the showroom to make sure I had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. Can't thank Brett Payne of Porsche Marin enough (yep.. shameless plug) for talking me into one or two things, but out of a whole bunch of things that ultimately don't matter much. When I left, my car was even better suited to me and a big chunk cheaper than what first went to the factory. The only removal I'm a little on the fence about is the keyless entry & drive (I had to drop the premium plus package b/c of a seat change). I know everyone's usage and tastes are different, but as this won't be just a track toy for me... Has anyone NOT gotten the keyless entry and found they regretted it later?
Thx
I picked mine off the lot and didn't have it, but my previous car (Golf R) had keyless standard.

For the most part, I don't really miss it. I did alter what I put on my keychain because of it though: I don't want a ton of crap rattling around while driving. Whereas with the keyless entry, I could just keep it on my big keychain and in my pocket.
The couple of times I wish I had it are for the keyless portions on the front/back trunks when I have groceries or stuff in my hands (most people don't know these are also part of the Entry&Drive option).
Old 06-25-2018, 04:09 PM
lakespeed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I miss it. I've had it on my last two cars and my current truck. I bought a 718 bs certified and it doesn't have it.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:06 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Our Macan has it. The rest don’t. It’s nice on the Macan because: grocery getter.

On the sports cars, I don’t miss it. Neither does my wife.

I’d rather spend the $ on some other option.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:07 AM
donR
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

I think its also handy when you have two people driving the same car. The key should remember seat positions, etc. At least our BMW does. I assume the Porsche one does also?

I don't think its a big % to add to the cost of the car, though still isn't exactly cheap.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:27 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by donR
I think its also handy when you have two people driving the same car. The key should remember seat positions, etc. At least our BMW does. I assume the Porsche one does also?
Yes. But this is true with or without keyless entry.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:54 AM
Wine.o
Advanced

I don't think its a big % to add to the cost of the car, though still isn't exactly cheap.
Actally, the power seats w/ memory were another sacrafice. After sitting in the Sport Plus manual seats and finding them super comfortable, I saved the $3k there. That meant dropping the premium plus package as well though. I put most of the elements back in, included a Bose stereo and white gauges and am still almost $1k under my original build. I basically skipped the 2 zone climate (as it's clearly a 1 zone car) and the keyless function. Just wondering if the latter is really "worth" $800.

Have to share this quick quote. In debating some of the options, my GF asked, "Do you really need that?"
The dealer working with me responded, "It's not about need. We don't sell 'need' here."
​​​​​​​Love this guy.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:02 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wine.o
I basically skipped the 2 zone climate (as it's clearly a 1 zone car) and the keyless function. Just wondering if the latter is really "worth" $800.
No Porsche option is “worth” it (except for a few of the free ones.) It’s all about ‘want’ and ‘do not want.’

On topic: if I could have only one or the other of Keyless vs. 2-Zone I’d take 2-zone. We use the 2-zone 100% of the time when we are both in any of modern p-cars. Works great.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:37 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928

No Porsche option is “worth” it (except for a few of the free ones.) It’s all about ‘want’ and ‘do not want.’

On topic: if I could have only one or the other of Keyless vs. 2-Zone I’d take 2-zone. We use the 2-zone 100% of the time when we are both in any of modern p-cars. Works great.
+1 - it has nothing to do with the 2-zone and everything to do with it being automatic based on a set temperature vs. just controlling the fan speed / hotness.

OP - I'd reconsider the climate control. Don't focus on it as 2-zone rather than being "automatic climate control" vs. manual.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:54 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
+1 - it has nothing to do with the 2-zone and everything to do with it being automatic based on a set temperature vs. just controlling the fan speed / hotness.
That's a good point - which I'd forgotten about. Nevertheless, the 2-zone works very well.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:47 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I went almost straight "base" (the reasonably-optioned Australian version that is )--some comments, all IM(NS)HO:
Keyless--didn't want it, didn't get it, don't miss it. I like using the memory key! Especially as it also works the roof and closes the windows. (I'm pretty sure you can have a re-program or use an accessory to get that functionality in the US.)
2-Zone Auto Climate--got it, like it, wish it was really automatic instead of semi though. My daughter likes her side 5°C (9°F) cooler than me!
Bose--don't like Bose, didn't get it. The basic stereo is really pretty good, (I think it's actually very good, and I'm quite an audiophile, but not a vehicular audiophile. While I often listen in the car, any serious listening or consideration of the finer points of reproduction can wait until I can sit in front of the home stereo. And with the top down music is basically just melodic noise, like the exhaust!
Old 06-27-2018, 02:10 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Originally Posted by GregWormald
I went almost straight "base" (the reasonably-optioned Australian version that is )--some comments, all IM(NS)HO:
Bose--don't like Bose, didn't get it. The basic stereo is really pretty good, (I think it's actually very good, and I'm quite an audiophile, but not a vehicular audiophile. While I often listen in the car, any serious listening or consideration of the finer points of reproduction can wait until I can sit in front of the home stereo. And with the top down music is basically just melodic noise, like the exhaust!
Couldn't agree more re sound quality. My concern w/ the stereo was more around distortion. I've always owned convertibles and of course with the top down, you turn the volume up so that the music / podcast can keep up w/ the wind, etc. I was warned that the base radio will distort toward the upper end. While I don't need symphonic surround, I also don't want it to sound like the speakers are tearing themselves apart trying to keep up. Seriously though, thank you for the input. Good to hear from ppl that are already living w/ their cars. (Oh, and in the US you have to buy a module called a SmartTop to get the key / one-touch roof operability. That's in my plan too )
Old 06-27-2018, 02:23 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly recommend getting the multifunction steering wheel.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:45 PM
donR
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

I agree with the stereo thing. In Australia the Bose upgrade is almost a $2000 US option. I'd imagine you could purchases some very good high end speakers for that money down the track if wanted.

Not particularly quiet in the Cayman or ideal environment for listening to music anyway.

In Australia we get the multifunction steering wheel as standard which I agree is really useful.

I notice SunCoast parts sell OEM steering wheel retrofits if you decide you want it later.

I really like the GT Sport alcantara one myself, doesn't get too cold or hot to the touch and feels nice, but probably not good if you are going to do a lot of miles.

Personally I would still get keyless entry if you can stretch your budget. It is not necessary but I've had it before and it is a nice mod con.

I also heard power steering assist is also worth considering as it doesn't cost much and it can't be put on later but can be taken off.

If you are also going to really push your car on tight twisty off camber roads I'd also consider the PTV as the base cars (except GTS) have an open diff and you will lose traction out of some corners, but for normal driving I think it is not necessary and depends on driving style.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:49 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also heard power steering assist is also worth considering as it doesn't cost much and it can't be put on later but can be taken off.
PSP is software and can be retrofitted:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSP.html

That said, I prefer linear steering effort. My wifes 981 has PSP and I don't particularly care for it.

Quick Reply: Options Madness (Keyless Question)