Sponsored by:

Options Madness (Keyless Question)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lajoiedp
I would highly recommend getting the multifunction steering wheel.
I've read the multifunction wheel doesn't work w/ carplay other than volume and mute. I figure it's a small car... I can reach the button by the gearshift to answer the phone.
The following users liked this post:
sonicworld (08-29-2020)
Old 06-28-2018, 02:44 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wine.o
I've read the multifunction wheel doesn't work w/ carplay other than volume and mute. I figure it's a small car... I can reach the button by the gearshift to answer the phone.
For me it's worth it just by the fact that my hands/eyes don't need to leave the wheel/road to adjust the stereo volume.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:35 PM
sonicworld
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 108 Posts

My understanding is it also cannot be used to advance through any musical selections, radio or satellite stations either. A rather odd oversite IMHO.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:40 AM
rooster17
Pro

Received 587 Likes on 233 Posts

Regarding your original question, I had keyless and liked it for my daily driver Cayman S. Had it been a weekend toy, probably wouldn’t care. And I don’t care that the Spyder doesn’t have it as I won’t be driving it daily. So I suppose my point is, I think it depends on your intended use of the car.

Agree with the others, 2 zone is worth having for the automatic climate aspect, not because it’s 2 zone.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:38 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My SA talked me out of keyless entry so I could put the $ elsewhere. I was nervous as I had it in my (2007) MX-5 and it seemed so handy. He was 100% correct though; I surprisingly don't miss it at all. I also skipped the multifunction wheel. Could be that mine's a M/T and so my hand is frequently down by the radio already, but I haven't found any of the wheel functions to be "Out of the way" without it. I agree though on the auto air. Didn't get it. Wish I did. Mostly b/c the temp control and fan speed toggles are annoyingly slow and distracting to manipulate.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:56 PM
markoware
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

My SA talked me out of keyless entry so I could put the $ elsewhere. I was nervous as I had it in my (2007) MX-5 and it seemed so handy. He was 100% correct though; I surprisingly don't miss it at all. I also skipped the multifunction wheel. Could be that mine's a M/T and so my hand is frequently down by the radio already, but I haven't found any of the wheel functions to be "Out of the way" without it. I agree though on the auto air. Didn't get it. Wish I did. Mostly b/c the temp control and fan speed toggles are annoyingly slow and distracting to manipulate.
Maybe it's just me, but I find keyless is necessary because my other cars have it. Whenever I have a a non-keyless car in the garage I find I first get in, realize the key is in my pocket, get back out, take out the key, then get back in and start the car. I don't mind not having keyless except for the sole annoyance of never remembering to take out the key. I find it more convenient and would always take it for free, but also will pay for it to avoid my personal annoyance (and sometimes looking stupid when I'm giving someone a ride).

I'm glad I found out that not having 2-zone meant not having auto climate control. I would have passed on it otherwise not knowing.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:37 PM
donR
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

I think if you are daily driving and just cruising as well as having multiple drivers keyless entry is a great option and convenience.

If you are more performance driving on say the track and alpine roads you don't want that key floating around in your pocket or anywhere else and best place is in the ignition slot!

Personally, I don't miss the keyless entry on my Porsche as I mainly use the car for performance driving but I really appreciate the keyless entry on our BMW which is a daily family car.

Quick Reply: Options Madness (Keyless Question)